Mechwarrior 5

23 replies to this topic

#1 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 May 2020 - 10:51 PM

Okay, so I was trying to figure out why I'm so angry about MW5 and I stumbled across a little gem today which sparked somewhat of an epiphany..

So, what I want to know is, having looked at this video and compared it with my experience of playing MW5 and MWO (for years) as well as all the other Mechwarrior/Commander and the Battletech game.. Just.. how? Why?

How did this happen to MW5? Why has it been released like this?!
I am genuinely interested to know the story of what happened for the previews, trailers, demos etc to be turned into the product being sold today.

I am still angry, but this isn't about trolling. I just want to know how this happened, then maybe I can have some inner peace.

#2 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 12:22 AM

"The people actually look kinda like people".Posted Image Posted Image You made my day. I almost fall from the chair. I need somenoe who's gonna stroke my hairs, when playing MWO.

Real passion, you can't buy it.

Lets take those mechwarriors passion and inject it to the hearts of PGI staff...

#3 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:51 AM

Well, that certainly looks better, but tbh 2018 version feels outdated and resembles MWO too much...
As for 2016 version - maybe that was too hard to implement.
This game has too much issues, and UI is not the biggest one.

#4 Violent Nick

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • 335 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 May 2020 - 01:57 AM

Thing is, I don't get how when MWO existed ages ago, plus they were playing something that is obviously a better version of MW5 in 2018, just how have they ended up shipping something so bad in 2019/20?

MWO > MW5. How? Why?
The whole dropship thing, the UI being worse.. I don't get it!

I've spent a bit of time looking around and okay, I think they had a lot of problems caused by 'Procedural Generation'. I'm guessing the game would have been much better if they'd've been less ambitious in the scale of the available map and actually done some good mission design.

I've already dropped the $ on this so I'm just hoping the modding community can help save the game or something. I really would've been over the moon with an updated version of MW4; they really didn't need to reinvent the wheel when they lacked the resources to do so. Can't believe it's come to this circa 20yrs on, but there you go.

:(

#5 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 03:28 AM

Nexus has what you need.

https://www.nexusmod...enaries/mods/98

#6 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:05 AM

Looking at the MW 5 forum here I think it isn't very popular game amongst MWO players. I'm gonna wait for some good prize cut (Like I always wait in case of computer games) and liberation of MW 5 from Epic hands. Then maybe I'm gonna buy it.

View PostViolent Nick, on 28 May 2020 - 01:57 AM, said:

I've already dropped the $ on this so I'm just hoping the modding community can help save the game or something. I really would've been over the moon with an updated version of MW4; they really didn't need to reinvent the wheel when they lacked the resources to do so. Can't believe it's come to this circa 20yrs on, but there you go.
Posted Image

Yeah, you know… Sometimes after few years of waiting some games become really stable and really good. Thanks to mods, patches, miracles. I'm not disappointed with MW 5 because I had no illusions about it. The same goes to many other games. It's like: "Lets sell this game, we can patch it later". Thank God that game devs don't build cars.

Edited by Bistrorider, 01 June 2020 - 01:16 AM.

#7 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:35 AM

Personally, I don't know why the hate freight..

The game is awesome!

it offers gameplay never-before seen in a MW or BT game, it is a sandbox to great extent, and it's gonna be an even bigger sandbox when the DLC hits..

Sure, it's got bugs, some pretty ridiculous and not fixed yet (like the terminal not working when you spawn next to it), but the core gameplay is truly fun!

And it looks great!

Slap on a few choice mods (I recommend Navida1's mods, they are awesome),and it gets even better!

So yeah, this game is no Star Citizen, but considering it was done by PGI, I'm satisfied with the bang for my buck.

Will definitely buy the DLC and hope a Clan Expansion if they ever make it.

I hope the devs have learned alot and will use that knowledge to expand the game and make a potential MWO2..

P.S.

I finished the game twice, and have decided to wait with my 3rd play-through till the DLC drops..

Edited by Vellron2005, 01 June 2020 - 01:36 AM.

#8 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 06:13 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 01 June 2020 - 01:35 AM, said:

The game is awesome!

I find that some games just get it despite being fun. There are far worse games that get less hate which is the ironic bit.

Already know this one will be one of the few games to pass 100 hours for me.

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:03 PM

jfc
the video is from 5 months ago, 12.17.2019

Some changes of been made to the base game since, and a crap ton of QoL mods have been introduced. Not ideal, but the game is definitely going to get better, especially as the mod tools open up more than they have already.

Does the OP realize the video they posted is outdated, is my primary concern.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 01 June 2020 - 07:04 PM.

#10 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:21 AM

I agree that MW5 isn't the ideal game or what I wished for in some regards but I played through it and I had my fair share of fun.
Currently I am waiting for the patch/DLC for free career mode while looking for new mods every now and then.

As about hateing of MW5. I think quite a lot of that comes from the Epic deal. People hate Epic, while I dare say lots of people that hate it actualy play their games unknowningly and this is transfered over to the game while the one hasn't anything to do with the other.

I also laugh every time someone comes around demanding MWO to be updated to unreal engine while people hate Epic...the producers of unreal. Allways brings a smile to my face ^_^

#11 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 11:30 AM

I doubt that many people really hate Epic though. Fortnite has millions of players. Epic's games have sold really well over the years and UE is used in many games.

Really, those who complain about it are in the minority, and its not going anywhere, so those people will just have to be whiny everyday until they get over it.

To further that, I have just as many complaints about Steam. It is quite buggy (they're always fixing bugs for a reason). The only thing that Steam has going for it happens to be the amount of games and amount of stuff it can do because of how long its been around. If it started in the past two years probably no one would want to use it. Epic has to deal with that ultimately.

But, I don't see the hate for MW5 at least with the people who bought it being Epic. It seems that they have expectations that for whatever reason and the game isn't fun to them. This game imo is MWO offline which is what I was looking for really and haven't played MWO for maybe 4-5 years now in anticipation of that. If I had played hundreds of hours of MWO in the past few years, MW5 might be boring.

For those that didn't buy it, personally, I would play the free MWO before paying for a 75% the same (no story, etc) MW5. Which isn't great for MW5 either. This game is just for those who would prefer to play offline.

For what the OP posted, the video to me is just a complaining video. I pay it no attention.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 02 June 2020 - 11:49 AM.

#12 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:07 AM

Co-op mode is very tempting for me. I mostly criticized AI in MW 5, also lack of demo, and the Epic case. I don't like sucha practice with exlusivity and such. But it's still new MW game, so I'm gonna buy it probably. But I have like my private price for that game. Gonna wait for discount. Big discount. And one of the reason is all that confusion with MW 5. Besides in case of games I always wait.

#13 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:28 AM

Depending on where you life you can currently get MW5 for a very cheap price on Epic.
Where I life its 18 - 28€. Heard in the US its even cheaper around 6$ I think it was.

It also is included in the Mircosoft store-Xbox-thingy-stuff subscribtion service where get it nearly for free because of some event that going on.

Not sure if either of these are still running.

#14 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 06:55 AM

Not so expensive, but I'm still at MWO stage. Bought some mechs, MC's, wanna buy more, even for real money. But since two months real money is real problem in my case. Anyway MW 5 is on my wish list, and that is the best compliment I can say about it, beacuse in case of games my wish list is veeery short.

#15 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:21 AM

I guess I know what you mean, My income has also basicly dropped to zero.

#16 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 10:13 AM

Yeah, life is at level hard right now... Hope it's gonna get better for you. I don't know what is your branch, but maybe someone here can help you? My job should return soon, maybe. My laptop is in repair so I can't play. Have to wait 2-3 weeks for it. Hope they really gonna fix it. Missed tests with groups in QP beacuse of that. My modem broke at the middle of pandemic, likewise the laptop. So I'm just wait for another blow, and my life is slowly becoming like Fight Club movie...

Edit: Little offtop, but why not. Who would you fight?

Edited by Bistrorider, 04 June 2020 - 10:31 AM.

#17 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 04 June 2020 - 02:40 PM

Who Im kidding, but seriously. Like said, PGI SHOULD implement the HUD mode mods I've seen Sean brough up in his vids. The 3d- like one and Navids with all THEM colors! And HTAL to boot.

Maybe give present and/ or future DLC for free as "payment" for their effort, something as thanks.
Make those mods integrated, like have them as OPTIONS in the settings menu.

And yeah, I really hoped for the early HUD they showed. The present vanilla one is a blank slate one for being practical to both TPS and FPS mode.., YET totally non immersive.

Edited by Tordin, 04 June 2020 - 02:40 PM.

#18 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:09 PM

I also think it would be good for PGI to work together with the mod creators. Take the best of them and either work directly with the creators or use it as a basis to improve upon and give proper credits to the modders.

#19 Spr1ggan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,162 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 June 2020 - 03:46 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 01 June 2020 - 01:35 AM, said:

The game is awesome!

it offers gameplay never-before seen in a MW or BT game, it is a sandbox to great extent, and it's gonna be an even bigger sandbox when the DLC hits..

Sure, it's got bugs, some pretty ridiculous and not fixed yet (like the terminal not working when you spawn next to it), but the core gameplay is truly fun!

And it looks great!

Slap on a few choice mods (I recommend Navida1's mods, they are awesome),and it gets even better!

So yeah, this game is no Star Citizen, but considering it was done by PGI, I'm satisfied with the bang for my buck.

Will definitely buy the DLC and hope a Clan Expansion if they ever make it.

I hope the devs have learned alot and will use that knowledge to expand the game and make a potential MWO2..

P.S.

I finished the game twice, and have decided to wait with my 3rd play-through till the DLC drops..

>it offers gameplay never-before seen in a MW or BT game
Such as? All i see is a dumbed down MWO with bots and terrible voice acting, as a Scot i cringe whenever Kane talks.

#20 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 06 June 2020 - 02:36 AM

Well there are parts we didn't had before like
- Mostly free mission selection over the entire Inner Sphere

- The Leopard that you can walk inside ( MWO only has one mechbay with the free cam tool )

- "Charakters" you can walk & talk to. Well it can definitly use some improvements but I can't remember any other MW game where this was possible

- The base from the tutorial you can walk around...so sad that they didn't used that to a larger degree. For example I would have not pushed you out of it at the first mission. Let the player feel at home there first. Let him start his first few missions there. Let him get to know his parents and the unit and then take it away from him. At least you would have some attachment to it and the revange arc of the story would have some kind of impact. Maybe you could also have met the guy that helps you at some form allready. Maybe he talked to your parents when you enterd to room and you overheard them talking...something casual that makes you wonder "Who are they talkeing to?" but not interesting enought that you imidiatly know "Ok that guy is importent later in the story".

So ,,, well this is what comes to my mind without thinking to much about it that is "new" to MechWarrior games and while I think you could make that arguement its just not new to gamers in general. So it dosn't feel new and since the implementation is lakeing it makes you feel quite contrary about it. It feels old and bad.

In that way MW5 overall feels worse then it is. Is it a good game? No its more a okay game that has all the parts that could make it good or even greate.
I think a better writing team for the story, better worked out characters and presentation as well a better AI would do wonders.

PGI is basicly sitting on a good basis or a very raw diamond. They realy need to get into the more deeper aspects and work on every part of the game and do the one thing they didn't to for MWO...take the community with you. Look at the mods that are created, take the best one and integrate them.
See what ideas the community has and start using them...and also give credtis to those helping you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users