#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,759 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 28 May 2020 - 02:27 PM

Hello all,

I've been getting kicked from the server a lot recently and it might have something to do with a recent Windows 10 update. My game also started crashing so I had a look at my settings. I run the game in full widow mode and when I checked it was in full screen mode, which as you know, can cause game crashes.

I don't know if the Win10 update had anything to do with it, or the recent patch from PGI, but it might be worth a look.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 28 May 2020 - 04:39 PM

full window op pls nerf.

frankly it should be the default setting, and there should be a popup warning that fullscreen is crashy when you try to change it. i attribute this to about 90% of the crashes you see.

#3 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 29 May 2020 - 02:32 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 May 2020 - 04:39 PM, said:

full window op pls nerf.

frankly it should be the default setting, and there should be a popup warning that fullscreen is crashy when you try to change it. i attribute this to about 90% of the crashes you see.

Not that I particularly disagree with what you're saying but there's also an element of "stupid people" to consider:

Most people don't understand the difference in how full screen and full window work.

Then they start alt-tabbing.

On loading screens....

#4 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 29 May 2020 - 06:30 AM

My recent disconnect issues, oddly enough, seem to be sound related. I updated my drivers and no more disconnects. Weird.

#5 KH Slaine

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Participant
  • CS 2023 Participant
  • 76 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 02:35 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 29 May 2020 - 02:32 AM, said:

Not that I particularly disagree with what you're saying but there's also an element of "stupid people" to consider:

Most people don't understand the difference in how full screen and full window work.

Then they start alt-tabbing.

On loading screens....

Hey VonB. Might you describe the difference in how the 2 work and why 1 is better for MWO? Ya know, for the "stupid people".

#6 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 31 May 2020 - 03:39 AM

View PostKH Slaine, on 31 May 2020 - 02:35 AM, said:

Hey VonB. Might you describe the difference in how the 2 work and why 1 is better for MWO? Ya know, for the "stupid people".

Hopefully this clears it up for you.

View PostVonBruinwald, on 08 July 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Full screen is designed to eek out every ounce of performance by giving the application sole access to the display output. The downside being when you tab-out the OS has to switch renderers, which as you've noticed, can cause instability and crashes.

Windowed mode is designed for those who are looking to multi-task, the caveat being the application has to render through the display manager before being outputted to the display, which can cost a few FPS.

#7 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:33 AM

Hello, everyone. Have any of you heard about instructing users in the use of 'Alt-Enter' BEFORE using the 'Alt-Tab', in order to actively prevent these crashes when going between Full-Screen and Full-Window/Normal-Window? CryEngine's biggest problem is just simply trying to execute a major transfer all at the same time. :(

Also, I don't know totally why unless it's due to not arguing with the Desktop Window Manager (even though I do tell it to keep Aero Glass enabled), but I do get my best framerates and visual clarity from Full-Screen Mode. Whenever I try to Full-Window/Normal-Window, I always find the performance reduced. Usually, it's a lot worse in Full-Window, even compared to Normal-Window being used. Maybe I'm just lucky because I'm on Win7, or that I'm just more careful about how I handle MWO's app, such that I'm dodging the crash possibilities? :mellow:

~D. V. "wondering if Alt-Enter for Full-Screen & Window Switching is some kind of lost art" Devnull

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users