36 replies to this topic

#21 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:18 PM

I like when people call targets and tactics even if they don't do a great job of it, at least they are trying to be useful.

What I don't like is useless calls that contain no information, for example "they're behind us", or "focus fire" etc. That's just distracting and doesn't help anyone. Behind who? Focus what? Either say something with actual information in it or shut up.

Same with complainers. No one cares or needs to know what you think after the fact, if you didn't speak up and call when it mattered you have no business ranting afterwards.

#22 Nameless King

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The King
  • The King
  • 692 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 31 May 2020 - 09:57 AM, said:

Nothing wrong with bad shotcallers, as long as they're learning from their mistakes they'll improve with time. My biggest issue is them not doing it from the onset and only chiming in once they're dead or when it's too late to make a difference to the match.

Yea except that is not happening most of the time. The moment they get a win with bad calling it is reinforced and they continue with the bad, then if they lose they blame it on others.

#23 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 12:22 AM

Only thing people learn is to mute the bad shot caller lol.
I just think you got to be better than most your team mates

Keep it simple works pretty good, like telling your team to shoot the same mech in new and non repetative ways

#24 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:22 AM

View PostCidemRaw, on 29 May 2020 - 03:29 PM, said:

Why do people get angry over people shotcalling

Because it's a massive distraction. Hell, there's a couple of particular players (which I won't name) that are the reason my VOIP has been turned off for more than two years now. I don't care how good their callouts may or may not be, it's very tough to concentrate on anything when someone just won't shut up.

#25 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:00 AM

Spammed coms can cause lag, Multiplied per player, Like a phone call
If your connection is marginal it can make a difference
Mute is optional

#26 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 01 June 2020 - 07:46 AM

It's pretty simple: call a target when you've got a lock on it. That means it shows up for other players, especially the LRM boats, and they can shoot at it too if it's in range. To me, one of the more frustrating aspects of this game is when someone locks a target, I go to shoot some LRMs at it, and the target lock evaporates right as I click the mouse. And please note, I don't typically run LRM boats or LRMs as a primary weapon, but a lot of my mechs have an LRM-10 or -15 as a harasser/soften 'em up weapon while I get in direct-fire position.

#27 Bronn of the Blackwater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 143 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:33 PM

Drop callers are generally welcome as far as i´m concerned. Sometimes they are very helpful, sometimes they take wrong decisions, but a bad call uses to be more efective than a no call, if the team is not totally composed of really experienced players.

But Aye, the most part of the drop callers, specially in the american rush hour, tend to forget a little detail....

This is a worldwide online game. English is the Lingua Franca, the vehicle of comunication, but a lot of players HAVE not a native english.

When two of you , one an Aussie, and a proud dixie the other, start to talk about things not directly related to the actual match we are playing, my head starts to Boil triying to figure what the hell is going on...

When i find someone who is or has been in the army, it´s like a blessing. This guys use short sentences, talk an articulate english, perfect for imperfect coms, and rarely say nothing that is not useful. No slang, no noise... God bless them.

Take it as a inmersion in lore if you want, But learn something about the military coms code. The alphabet at least, to give compasses on the map... All the non english speakers will thank you for it...

Edited by Tirant Lo Blanc, 02 June 2020 - 05:36 PM.

#28 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 03:00 AM

View PostCidemRaw, on 29 May 2020 - 03:29 PM, said:

Why do people get angry over people shotcalling, no matter wether i'm the highest performer on the team or the first to go down and just trying to help the team i seem to meet alot of negative feedback, even tho i try to keep my calls to simple call outs on targets and their parts.

Even when im feeling silent and someone else does it people seem to get angry, is it just venting and something to get used to or are calling expactions higher than people expect?

Probably because there is no shortage of people calling shots that causes their team to lose.

Edited by Zirconium Kaze, 03 June 2020 - 03:00 AM.

#29 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 03 June 2020 - 04:58 AM

View PostZirconium Kaze, on 03 June 2020 - 03:00 AM, said:

Probably because there is no shortage of people calling shots that causes their team to lose.

People don't like to take responsibility for their failings, that's just humans. Blaming the shot-caller is a natural extension.

Why take responsibility for your part in the teams failure when you can blame it on one guy you and half the team didn't even listen to.

#30 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 511 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 05:05 AM

per rule of thumb, imo:

-doing FW, if somebody makes calls, listen to them.

-doing QP, better ignore them. there was LESS than a hand full of decent dropcallers for QP 1-2 years ago (and there are reasons ofc), I assume it's less than that, now.
chances are very high that somebody calling in QP does more bad than good for his team
-and so does listening to him.

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 03 June 2020 - 05:06 AM.

#31 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 01:24 PM

I think that in many cases people get angry with their performance, bad luck, how the game went, getting LRMed, or stealth sniped, or something and then the person calling the shots get vented on.

#32 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:02 PM

View PostLanzman, on 01 June 2020 - 07:46 AM, said:

It's pretty simple: call a target when you've got a lock on it. That means it shows up for other players, especially the LRM boats, and they can shoot at it too if it's in range. To me, one of the more frustrating aspects of this game is when someone locks a target, I go to shoot some LRMs at it, and the target lock evaporates right as I click the mouse. And please note, I don't typically run LRM boats or LRMs as a primary weapon, but a lot of my mechs have an LRM-10 or -15 as a harasser/soften 'em up weapon while I get in direct-fire position.

The target lock "evaporates" because your teammate or his target (or both!) ducked back into cover, rather than remaining exposed to get their faces melted/dakka'd/LRM'd. "Holding locks" is a foolish thing to ask of your teammates for exactly this reason.

Just accept that any IDF shot you take may be a low-percentage shot and move on.

#33 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

Then there's guys like good ol' Duncan Fisher. I don't even mind losing when he's doing his thing.

#34 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 02:14 PM

It's pretty simple: call a target when you've got a lock on it.

Why? That's a waste of time and is excessive over comms. Don't call targets when you see them, it's pointless. Call good targets.

That means it shows up for other players, especially the LRM boats, and they can shoot at it too if it's in range. To me, one of the more frustrating aspects of this game is when someone locks a target, I go to shoot some LRMs at it, and the target lock evaporates right as I click the mouse.

So you're mad they aren't doing your job for you?

Edited by thievingmagpi, 03 June 2020 - 02:14 PM.

#35 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 09:36 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 03 June 2020 - 04:58 AM, said:

People don't like to take responsibility for their failings, that's just humans. Blaming the shot-caller is a natural extension.

Why take responsibility for your part in the teams failure when you can blame it on one guy you and half the team didn't even listen to.

When someone says to push and the team actually listens and gets slaughtered and then the shot caller tells his team that they suck, the team would have been better without his voice ever being there.

#36 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:32 AM

View PostZirconium Kaze, on 03 June 2020 - 09:36 PM, said:

When someone says to push and the team doesn't listens and gets slaughtered and then the team tells the shot caller that he sucks...

It goes both ways.

I'm not saying there aren't bad shot-callers. But you should give them a chance, if a player is bad they can either improve or stay potato. If they remain potato by all means ignore them in the future.

#37 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 03:27 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 04 June 2020 - 03:32 AM, said:

It goes both ways.

I'm not saying there aren't bad shot-callers. But you should give them a chance, if a player is bad they can either improve or stay potato. If they remain potato by all means ignore them in the future.

Yea, but if more than half your team are medium and lights and the enemy team has 6 assaults, it's obvious the push isn't gonna go to their favor. Shot callers in pug qp half the time aren't even situationally aware of both their team and the enemy team or what mechs people are using.

A shadow cat with two ppcs isn't going to be capable of holding a line even if all team mates are there. His strength will be to use jj and distance to get hit and runs off. It's ridiculous to expect a player in such a set up to hold a line with you. If most your pug is using medium lasers and the enemy team of assaults are sporting 20 acs, you get the loss you deserve.

Sometimes, players are simply better as well and no amount of following orders will change that. It's even more infuriating when the shot caller is so oblivious that they complain about no one holding a flank but they were there. Just not in front of his screen. I literally saw this the other night when someone claimed we could take the high ground on hpg "easy peasy". I see about a lance worth of mechs go up the ramp and one over comms even acknowledged the order and suddenly three people are dead in less than 15 seconds and I jumped off with my armor stripped because assaults were there and pointed already. Whomever called the shot helped lose the game for the team.

Edited by Zirconium Kaze, 04 June 2020 - 03:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users