Balance Gameplay Metagame

62 replies to this topic

#1 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 07:45 AM

... and that pause is probably going to be a long one.

I am simply tired of this ********.

I have carried enough PUGs on my shoulders in the early days of MWO (I think that some older players remember those days of the absolutely useless Elo coefficient; yes, that system that put one or two competent players with ten beginners and forced them to carry those novice players against 12 enemy decent players).

But as exhausting as it was, at least PGI did not force me to play against premade groups and at least there was a weak semblance of some balancing in the form of 3/3/3/3 rule.

These days it is different. I am sick of being stomped game after game by premades of a various skill and facing ridiculous team weight disadvantage on top of that, while having to carry some players who obviously struggle with WASD.

Russ Bullock and Paul Inouye should try to play their own game ...

This is not a fun game, this is not even a chore or a grind, this is just a drudge. Fruitless and futile.

Enemy team:
Total weight 845 tons

My team:
Weight: 610 tons

We had the lead in Light ´Mechs (a pair of Locusts and Javelin).
Unfortunately, the enemy team had the distinct advantage of fielding more Assaults (a pair of Supernovas, Annihilator and Cyclops).

You can see the result:

Posted Image

#2 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:39 AM

3%

#3 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 09:48 AM

3%

"A strange game, the only winning move is not to play"

Edited by Anomalocaris, 23 May 2020 - 09:49 AM.

#4 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:13 AM

How often would you eat someplace if they served food this bad and ignored you when you complained, or told you that you were wrong, that only 3% more steaks were burnt than were served burned two months ago? Just keep eating. Here, have an event.

#5 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 May 2020 - 10:53 AM

Unfortunately, the enemy team had the distinct advantage of fielding more Assaults (a pair of Supernovas, Annihilator and Cyclops).

The group on you team did not appear to have utilized most of the available weight. MM, if I have read correctly is utilizing the group MM and not the solo MM. Grouped should have weight restriction removed while changing it to 1/weight class.
  • Then match up weight class, either across the board or only across the solo players.
  • Only allow 2*duo group. Trio drops the same as a lance, alone.
  • I would also go as far as restricting it to only duo/trio groups and toss the lance out completely.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 23 May 2020 - 11:22 AM

View Postmartian, on 23 May 2020 - 07:45 AM, said:

Right, so you each had a distinct advantage, but the other team capitalized on theirs. That's not a problem, that's just one team being better at utilizing their advantages.

~Leone

#7 Kin3ticX

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 2,926 posts
  • LocationSalt Mines of Puglandia

Posted 23 May 2020 - 01:44 PM

Looks like you had a 4-man that didn't use their tonnage. Totes surprised. One screenshot though?

#8 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 02:13 PM

3%

#9 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 May 2020 - 10:53 AM, said:

The group on you team did not appear to have utilized most of the available weight. MM, if I have read correctly is utilizing the group MM and not the solo MM. Grouped should have weight restriction removed while changing it to 1/weight class.
  • Then match up weight class, either across the board or only across the solo players.
  • Only allow 2*duo group. Trio drops the same as a lance, alone.
  • I would also go as far as restricting it to only duo/trio groups and toss the lance out completely.

They haven't made a change during this "test" for 3 weeks now (except to "accidentally" revert the tonnage limits to their initial levels after the patch on Tuesday). Do you really think they're going to do anything else? This was never a test and they never had any plans to optimize. What you have now is what you get. Run away or succumb to the cancer inherent in the system. It's the only choice you have left.

#10 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

You haven't carried didly squat since 2016, though.

#11 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:36 PM

View PostLeone, on 23 May 2020 - 11:22 AM, said:

Right, so you each had a distinct advantage, but the other team capitalized on theirs. That's not a problem, that's just one team being better at utilizing their advantages. ~Leone

Please try to refrain from posting such replies as it obfuscates the actual problem and gives the 3 spanners of PGI an excuse to say that they're something right.

#12 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 08:21 PM

martian tried to carry the team in this match but unfortunately, the result or outcome was not favorable.

[color=#FFFFFF]Posted Image[/color]

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:01 AM

View PostMOBAjobg, on 23 May 2020 - 08:21 PM, said:

martian tried to carry the team in this match but unfortunately, the result or outcome was not favorable.

To be fair, several others had put out favorable damage. Question would be what type of damage, LRM vs other, as well as were there any actual coordination/some drop calling. This is one of the reasons I would like to percentage/damage of everyone on the end screen, There have been a few games where it may have ended up as 6-12 but most of those 6 were a breeze away from falling.

#14 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:08 AM

Good riddance

#15 Chiasson Brinker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ace
  • The Ace
  • 260 posts
  • LocationWayside V

Posted 24 May 2020 - 04:31 PM

Well... bye.

#16 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 06:54 PM

Hey you potatoes should be trying to get him to stay, without him you're just going to get rolled by high skill groups that much more often. Encouraging him to leave....real 200 IQ strategy there.

#17 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:50 PM

Well, as far I know it's a "test" for 4 Weeks. I think they know that a lot Matches are unbalanced in Terms of weight and Tierlevel.

I hope they find a way to balance this or they should go back to the old matchmaker where are Players were solo. In the meantime I'm playing Battletech from Hairebrained Schemes…. Posted Image

#18 Cyanogene

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 103 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 11:41 PM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 24 May 2020 - 06:54 PM, said:

Hey you potatoes should be trying to get him to stay, without him you're just going to get rolled by high skill groups that much more often. Encouraging him to leave....real 200 IQ strategy there.

No thank you, this game has enough whiners as it is. I'd rather them all leave than have PGI roll back perfectly good match making because of a handful of overgrown children who can't take a few losses in a digital toy. Instead of crying, they should be thankful that now they can try again after the match is over without having to wait 20 minutes.

#19 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 06:07 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 24 May 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

Well, as far I know it's a "test" for 4 Weeks. I think they know that a lot Matches are unbalanced in Terms of weight and Tierlevel.

I hope they find a way to balance this or they should go back to the old matchmaker where are Players were solo. In the meantime I'm playing Battletech from Hairebrained Schemes…. Posted Image

You give PGI way too much credit in their abilities to understand the data and to make the right decisions.

View PostCyanogene, on 24 May 2020 - 11:41 PM, said:

No thank you, this game has enough whiners as it is. I'd rather them all leave than have PGI roll back perfectly good match making because of a handful of overgrown children who can't take a few losses in a digital toy. Instead of crying, they should be thankful that now they can try again after the match is over without having to wait 20 minutes.

When was there ever "perfectly good matchmaking"???

#20 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 25 May 2020 - 11:19 AM

View PostCyanogene, on 24 May 2020 - 11:41 PM, said:

Hey Einstein, the matchmaking in solo queue was better before this. And the wait time was about 1-2 min during regular hours. So your logic is......lacking. And if all those solo players leave, your wait time goes right back up. Like I said, 200 IQ strategy there.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users