Coming Back After A Break Since Epic Announcement.

14 replies to this topic

#1 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 12:39 AM

So... I see the number of players dropped from 800 to 500.
Anything changed since I left like... half a year ago, a year ago? Queue times, balance, quality of matches?
I see some "matchmaker" stuff in the works, is it promising in any way?
Is it worth coming back to enjoy a bit of stomping? I do miss the game but not the PGI.

#2 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:23 AM

Welcome back dude, where you been hiding?

Biggest change is they've merged group and solo queue. Albeit you're limited to a maximum group size of 4.The matchmaker stops adding groups to teams once there's 4 group players, this can occasionally result in 2+3 man or 3+3 man on a single team.

Matchmaker went totally out of wack as a result. They've been playing with the settings and apparently stomps are now within 1% of pre merge levels. Tonnage balance is 'wolfed, it appears to treat solos/pugs as a group size of 1 with a tonnage limit of 100 per player... Still, the matchmaker tries.

THE NEXT BIG THING: Is PSR being made zero-sum, which will also requires a PSR reset for all players.

#3 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:32 AM

How did that affect matchmaking times? Before I left it took about 2-3 minutes to get a match where you take 2-3 minutes to get into fighting range and then it lasted for 2-3 minutes of actual playtime.

And while it says 1%, how does it actually feels in terms of stomps? Stats are one thing but they never reflect the actual player experience.

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 30 May 2020 - 03:22 AM

As a solo I haven't noticed a significant change in the time to find matches and checking recent screen-shots most matches are in the 6-9 minute range.

Regarding that 1%... I dare say Paul's definition isn't far off the mark. Whilst I haven't seen a significant increase in stomps there's a lot less games that go down to the wire where both teams only have 1-2 mechs on the field. Instead we're seeing more snowballing where the winning team still has a lance and a half in play.

It should also be noted that a decent group who communicates with the rest of the team can easily turn a snowball into a stomp; Then there's games like this where the tonnage is so out of wack a stomp is inevitable.

So yeah, games feel more stompy, even if they're not outright stomps.

-----

Note - I consider a game a stomp when the winning team still has more than 2 lances in play. YMMV.

View PostAcersecomic, on 30 May 2020 - 12:39 AM, said:

Is it worth coming back to enjoy a bit of stomping? I do miss the game but not the PGI.

And to answer your question yes. Come back for a bit. MWO is still fun in bursts.

If you're part of a small group or got a pug-buddy now is probably the best time for you to play.

Edited by VonBruinwald, 30 May 2020 - 03:28 AM.

#5 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 02:59 PM

I see NASCAR is still around :/

#6 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 30 May 2020 - 05:48 PM

View PostAcersecomic, on 30 May 2020 - 02:32 AM, said:

And while it says 1%, how does it actually feels in terms of stomps? Stats are one thing but they never reflect the actual player experience.

1% increase from an already stompy environment is a significant increase but many people here don't understand numbers and hence think it is ok. Actually, first it was 5% increase and then conjured 3% out of nowhere and now it's 1% whereas everything is still the same but with more nonsense.

#7 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:18 PM

Welcome back.

I'm going to disagree somewhat with what the others have said and throw in the disclaimer that everyone seems to have a bit of a different experience and it's going to vary according to your timezone a fair bit.

Firstly though:
Wait times.
Solo had always been pretty good though I will admit to seeing it become a little slower in my Timezone (AU)
Group queue was non-existent. SImply could not get a game there for the love of anything mechy. Again.... timezone (AU).

So the queue merge has been very good in the sense that now it is possible to get a group of friends together and drop in a match. Wait times have therefore definitely improved.
The group limit of 4 is also pretty good in my opinion. Faction seems to be getting a bit more action there so it's good for the bigger groups.

As far as stompiness.
Well, hard to say.
Still get stomps but would also say that I have had a lot more of the close matches and some really good fights that could have gone either way.... playing in a group or not.

Can really only suggest that if you enjoy the game, keep playing.

Edited by 50 50, 31 May 2020 - 04:18 PM.

#8 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 31 May 2020 - 06:15 PM

If you are talking about Steam charts, that only accounts for a portion of the player base. A majority do not use Steam but the standalone.

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

The above shows the number of players who have logged in and played at least 10 games. There is the overall and new players. April 2020 had around 14.8k players with approx 1650 new players. It will be updated in the next few days to reflect May stats.

#9 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 31 May 2020 - 10:05 PM

its like Robocraft , the big Problem with Games with to high Customization

Posted Image

#10 Vellron2005

• The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,443 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 01 June 2020 - 01:55 AM

Wait, there are only 500 active players playing MWO?

Really?

That's just sad..

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 01 June 2020 - 02:16 PM

View PostVellron2005, on 01 June 2020 - 01:55 AM, said:

Wait, there are only 500 active players playing MWO?

No. He's talking about the concurrent player count (ie how many players are online at the same time) given for MWO's Steam version: https://steamcharts.com/app/342200 .
The overall stats have 17000 accounts that played at least 10 games during last month: https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats (BTW, that indicates 169455 games of Quick Play were played in May)

Edited by Horseman, 01 June 2020 - 10:54 PM.

#12 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 01 June 2020 - 04:27 PM

View PostMW Waldorf Statler, on 31 May 2020 - 10:05 PM, said:

its like Robocraft , the big Problem with Games with to high Customization

I do wonder how things might have been in MWO if we had the hard point limitations like they have done in MW5.
How many different variants might have been more useful if this was the case.

#13 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:56 AM

View Post50 50, on 01 June 2020 - 04:27 PM, said:

I do wonder how things might have been in MWO if we had the hard point limitations like they have done in MW5.
How many different variants might have been more useful if this was the case.

Not just variants but less overpowering builds, increasing time to kill, resulting in far more engaging matches where a mistake doesn't cost you your mech or the whole match.

#14 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 05:10 AM

Oh there where discussions about using MW5s system and it lead...nowhere.
Some see it as good, others think its the devil and needs to be patched out of MW5 too.

#15 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

If we had the hard point size limits in place from the start in MWO we wouldn't be any wiser.
It might have avoided hard point inflation and quirk issues.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users