7 replies to this topic

#1 ipaam

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 29 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 30 May 2020 - 08:49 PM

There's a user named Galaxy that I strongly believe was trying to steal my Steam account a couple of hours ago.

A MWO friend of mine said that he accidentally reported me for duping items and to contact Galaxy on Steam to prevent the ban from happening. I contacted Galaxy and he acts like he works for steam with "Hello steam-user! How may I help you?" I told him about what my friend said. Galaxy said he'd check into it.

He sent a gif of my profile with pending ban photo-shopped on it. https://steamuserima...FA5DCF333C0A11/
(if anyone is wondering why I don't have time on MWO in Steam, it's because I still use the old launcher)

He said "Check this video. I have noticed that you have a pending ban concerning multiple scam reports and accused of having duplicated items which may lead to account deletion if not proven innocent."

I messed up and gave him my email address. My phone received a text message with a 5 digit code. At this point I knew what he was trying to do and I played along. I immediately requested and changed my Steam Password. He had me meet him on discord ( Valve Fraud Prevention#6630 ) and he asked for that first 5 digit code and that I log out of Steam. He had another code sent and again I changed my password. I then called him out.

I'm convinced this was a scam to steal my Steam account. The worst part is I'm not sure if my friend was actively assisting this scam. Be careful with some of these people on Steam here's the last part of my conversation with Galaxy.

"
[4:56 PM] ipaam: you're trying to steal my account. I changed the password before i gave you those codes. So the code not working on your side is due to me already changing the password before you can. I also setup up the extra verification.
You aren't getting my account

[4:56 PM] Galaxy: Are you accusing me ?

[4:56 PM] ipaam: yes

[4:57 PM] Galaxy: If try to steal your Steam Account i can do that without code.
We have full vip access on Steam Account player here.
I just want you to cooperate since this conversation is Recorded so that we can make a proof

[4:58 PM] ipaam: how come you don't have a Valve Employee Badge on your account?

[4:58 PM] Galaxy: As i said i don't do anything to ruin my job and reputation here and if you don't want to proceed you can leave as always .

[4:59 PM] ipaam: try scamming someone else

[4:59 PM] Galaxy: Im going having badge after this pandemic since whole world having this situation including our company .

[4:59 PM] ipaam: You don't work at valve
go find some other sucker

[4:59 PM] Galaxy: Then thank you for you using my service. You will receive community ban permanently . I have this conversation because you are accusing me .
Have a good day.
I proceed the deletion now

https://steamuserima...2DCDFE5E4F32EA/

[5:06 PM] Galaxy: May i take my leave now .
Have a good day and thank you for your cooperation once you already ban you cannot able to recover it . Understand ?

[5:37 PM] ipaam: Is my account deleted yet?
"

*Edit was to remove the person's steam profile address. Since his account may have also been stolen*

Edited by ipaam, 30 May 2020 - 09:41 PM.

#2 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:25 PM

This is definitely the right place to address this. Valve will read this and sort this guy out right away for you I think.

#3 ipaam

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 29 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 30 May 2020 - 09:40 PM

I reported it to Steam already. I just wanted to warn other people and vent some frustration about having to deal with a scammer.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 31 May 2020 - 01:04 AM

Well, I'm glad you didn't fall victim to this scam attempt. Your steam friend likely did or was hacked in some other way.

#5 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 31 May 2020 - 04:28 PM

100% a scam, no valve employee would behave that way. It's a little weird to post about it here but whatever.

Playing along and trolling scammers can be really fun.

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 01 June 2020 - 11:07 AM

View Postipaam, on 30 May 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

I reported it to Steam already. I just wanted to warn other people and vent some frustration about having to deal with a scammer.

Hi there, ipaam... You should probably Contact MWO Support as well, and give them the Account Name of whoever first contacted you about this mess. I get the impression that they may have been hacked as well, which means that the scammers were using your friend's Account as a vector of attack upon yourself. :(

~D. V. "I've just got the feeling that you should take no chances about this mess." Devnull

#7 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 June 2020 - 02:16 AM

Brug. I thought you were internet smarts. Dont fall for the potato scams.

#8 ipaam

• PipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 29 posts
  • LocationEast Coast

Posted 02 June 2020 - 10:49 PM

I was close to being scammed, but I wasn't drunk enough to fall for it. Also I keep forgetting my steam account PW so I know what's going on when I get a 5 digit code text. It does look like other people got phished from the account every few hours, I check it and the amount of friends increase or decrease from it. I warned 3 people that are friends of the account and 2 of them got unfriended from the account.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users