Radar Range-Less, Senseless Sensors, And Magic Target Lock

2 replies to this topic

#1 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 03:27 AM

After playing MW5 for a few months I have come to the conclusion that the player is under a distinct sensor disadvantage vs the AI combatants.
Here are a few things i noticed that will validate this observation.

1. AI players are able to detect the enemy at a great distance.
This is evidenced by the following behavior:
a. your character can be fired upon from an enemy well beyond radar range.
b. your AI teammates, when equipped with extended range weapons, will fire on enemy units that are not on active radar, both behind obstructions and at great distance.

2. AI players know where an active enemy is at all times.
Proof of this can be observed by the following actions:
a. when enemy units spawn onto the battlefield, your AI teammates are instantly aware of their presence as they will disregard a follow or move order briefly and turn in the direction of the newly 'detected' threat.
b. the enemy knows exactly where you are even when you are beyond their line of site which can be validated when you pop over a hill or around a bend to be instantly fired upon by enemy AI units that could not have seen you.

I believe these behaviors are based upon a 'Target Detected' algorithm which we ourselves can utilize during assassination or raid missions.
Once your player closes in on an assassination or raid target, you will get the 'target detected' notification from Ryana.
After that, the 'target' will show a blip on the direction indicator at the top of the screen, which you will continue to see even when the 'target' is out of line-of-site, and regardless of distance.
You can literally move to the opposite end of the map and still see the blip on the direction indicator.

I suspect that all active AI units can detect all enemies at all times and act on them based upon their 'threat level', and current command action (defend, patrol, seek and destroy).

One final observation:

I know that ECM is not a tech currently in MW5.
So what is going on when you get an active radar ping from an enemy, or attacking lance, then it fades away and returns briefly in cycles every 20 seconds or so (similar to radar sweep in MWO Incursion mode except only certain enemies are illuminated )
Also when an enemy dropship appears, you get ping and target info when the lance drops, regardless of range, but it quickly dissapears???

I do not want the magic target lock or ability to detect all active enemies all the time, as it would take the fun out of the game, but it would be great if we had some form of more reliable radar.

In addition, it would be nice to disable the AI ability to 'see' active enemy units that are not in line-of-site.

NOTE: I am not currently utilizing any 'Mods' or other advantages to make the game easier.
I appreciate the challenge, but am looking for a more even handed battle environment where I could utilize a variety of strategies to accomplish the mission demands.
Peace

#2 9erRed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • 1,566 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 15 June 2020 - 06:11 PM

Greetings,

From what you have said,
- Lore wise, all Battlemechs have active sensors operating all the time.
- The game engine could be designed to use this electronic emission as a direction/distance targeting aid for the Ai.

It's been discussed before, that we should have the ability to use/turn on "passive" radar, turn off that giant radiating bubble from our Mech's. You would lose the ability to Target enemies while in passive but still see them at a shorter range to direct shoot. I'm sure the game designers have given the Enemy Ai some advantages over live players. (although your observation does appear to be a bit of a cheat for the Enemy.)

- From your observations, was there any Enemy, even out of targeting range that could see your Mech's? Say helo's that you hadn't seen yet, or left behind.

9erRed
Aim True and Run Cool

#3 Peace2U

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 June 2020 - 07:23 PM

Funny you should say that.
Aircraft seem to hover or have a very narrow patrol behavior, when they appear within my visual range.
And they will continue that until one of three things happen.
a. they are fired upon
b. the base they are protecting is fired upon
c. you close to within targeting range of their patrol perimeter

As far as being targeted and fired upon by enemies I have not visually seen, yes, it happens a lot.
Usually it will be a tank with an AC5 or several AC2's.
I may be stationary surveying the terrain for a moment and I'll hear an AC slug sing past my head.
Will immediately move but can only take evasive action as the slugs keep coming from some unseen attacker from a very great distance.
Only when I get behind a hill or other obstruction and a slug impacts can I determine the actual direction the attack is coming from.
Then I can move in that direction to find the assailant.
NOTE: if I have any lance mates with me, they can clue me in as they are looking in that direction. (they know where the attacker is even though it is out of sight).

And I fully agree with your speculation that the AI was designed with some advantage.
Since their action/reaction is limited by their programming parameters, they would be too easy to defeat without an edge.
Sadly, even with terrific sensor advantage, and knowing where my lance is at all times, the enemy's actions are very easy to predict and overcome.
Their greatest tool (aside from enemy units spawning right behind you) is sheer numbers.
The programmers spam a lot of enemy to increase the challenge level.
It is their only option with the limitations of current technology.
Once AI is improved and given some latitude to operate 'outside the box' we will see more serious mech battles and less cannon fodder.
The only thing we need to worry about then would be "Skynet".
Peace

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users