13 replies to this topic

#1 Rkshz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,866 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:20 PM

Hi.
As you know, the mechs has only five slots for consumables. At the same time, if you want to have all consumables with maximum efficiency, then you need to learn all consumables skills, but... but when you learn all the consumables skills, you spend 16 points (have the opportunity for six consumables - but you can install only five consumables) - it is not right, because it makes the player spend points on unnecessary skills!
Spoiler

I suggest to swap the following skills:
1. Extra UAV with UAV Range 2
2. Coolant Reserves with Coolshot Cooldown
3. Expanded Reserves with Enhanced Spotting
Spoiler

NOTHING CHANGE for anyone who does not use consumables if PGI swap skills - but the player will be able to carry all five (or 3 or 4) consumables with maximum efficiency, while not spending no one loss skill.

Edited by Rkshz, 17 June 2020 - 08:50 PM.

#2 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:40 PM

Why would you need 2 uavs, 2 cool shots and 2 arty strikes ?!

I don’t disagree with you, but I just don’t think anyone would waste skills on these. If your mech runs super hot, take cool shots and strikes. I highly doubt you should also have 2 uavs when you could put these skills in coolrun / heat generation.

If your mech is cool then take strikes and Uav. Doubtful you’ll need those cool shots.

#3 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 17 June 2020 - 07:43 PM

View PostHellbringer, on 17 June 2020 - 06:40 PM, said:

Why would you need 2 uavs, 2 cool shots and 2 arty strikes ?!

I don’t disagree with you, but I just don’t think anyone would waste skills on these. If your mech runs super hot, take cool shots and strikes. I highly doubt you should also have 2 uavs when you could put these skills in coolrun / heat generation.

If your mech is cool then take strikes and Uav. Doubtful you’ll need those cool shots.

it's my (players) choice if I want to have 2 uav + 2 coolshots + 1 artilery (or otherwise) = but you cannot say how to play others, it is wrong

you read my post inattentively - nothing changes for anyone if PGI swap skills = but for players who want to have all five consumables with maximum efficiency there will be a saving of 1 point (or 3 point if they want to have only three consumables with maximum efficiency)

#4 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 17 June 2020 - 11:53 PM

Why is this a bigger problem, than other skill points, that dont affact your load out, but u need to take?

It's nota bug...

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 17 June 2020 - 11:53 PM.

#5 Rkshz

• 2,866 posts
  • LocationOdesa, Ukraine

Posted 18 June 2020 - 12:48 AM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 17 June 2020 - 11:53 PM, said:

It's nota bug...

I never wrote that

#6 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 02:20 AM

Whole skill tree is annoying. Like the careful positioning of useless nodes so you have to take them to get to ones you want.

#7 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 18 June 2020 - 11:53 AM

Skill tree was a mistake and only implemented to "fix" the fact that many players would buy modules once and share them between different mechs rather than wasting money on buying them over and over again.

Skill tree = more money required to progress to basic functionality = more premium time bought or so the logic went.

Actually Skill tree = fewer people wanting to play multiple mechs = less premium time bought = more players leaving = less of anything bought.

Edited by OneTeamPlayer, 18 June 2020 - 11:56 AM.

#8 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 19 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 18 June 2020 - 11:53 AM, said:

Skill tree was a mistake and only implemented to "fix" the fact that many players would buy modules once and share them between different mechs rather than wasting money on buying them over and over again.

Skill tree = more money required to progress to basic functionality = more premium time bought or so the logic went.

Actually Skill tree = fewer people wanting to play multiple mechs = less premium time bought = more players leaving = less of anything bought.

^ which is why I run my older mechs with a lot of xp already on them or use the (c) versions for more xp. I could just use the banked pt that I haven't used yet. I would probabily buy pt if I had the option of banked vs active when in the process of getting pt. Don't like the fact pt is always active the moment you log into the game and runs down even when you're offline.

#9 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 19 June 2020 - 04:50 PM

to be honest, its cheaper to buy GSP now then it is to grind through MC/time/energy leveling fresh mechs.

Maybe with this PSR reset, a lot more GSP will be purchased since QP wont just be a "testing ground" for new mechs/builds and people might actually care about their W/L ratio. I see what youre doing there PGI.... you cant fool me!

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:20 AM

View PostRkshz, on 17 June 2020 - 06:20 PM, said:

Hi.
As you know, the mechs has only five slots for consumables. At the same time, if you want to have all consumables with maximum efficiency, then you need to learn all consumables skills, but... but when you learn all the consumables skills, you spend 16 points (have the opportunity for six consumables - but you can install only five consumables) - it is not right, because it makes the player spend points on unnecessary skills!
Spoiler

I suggest to swap the following skills:
1. Extra UAV with UAV Range 2
2. Coolant Reserves with Coolshot Cooldown
3. Expanded Reserves with Enhanced Spotting
Spoiler

NOTHING CHANGE for anyone who does not use consumables if PGI swap skills - but the player will be able to carry all five (or 3 or 4) consumables with maximum efficiency, while not spending no one loss skill.

So... What if someone does NOT want either...
  • "UAV Range 2" (because they feel like they don't want the 2nd heaping of UAV Range, or can't afford it for some reason)
  • "CoolShot CoolDown" (because they somehow feel they can afford longer between Cool Shot usage instances, or simply can not afford the second one being available more quickly)
  • "Enhanced Spotting" (because they would prefer to play their Air/Artillery Strikes with a wider spread, even though that means their damage isn't going to be heavily focused on shredding a single target, or they want to make it harder for a target to escape the Strike's area, or perhaps they just prefer to hit several targets at one time)
...for some crazy reason or another? Your idea wipes out play styles and forces unnecessary spending on potentially unwanted Skill Efficiency Unlocks that a player might not be able to use, does not desire, and/or flatly can not afford while they're getting things they might want on the Mech they're piloting. :angry:

Also, it just struck me... PGI's Staff may have realized what those last Skill Efficiencies for "UAV Range 2"/"CoolShot CoolDown"/"Enhanced Spotting" would cause in terms of the potential power of the corresponding Consumables, and decided they're as OverPowered as I'm now realizing it would make them. I'm sad to say, but requiring that kind of extra power before being allowed to unlock another really throws the game out of balance through creating an unnecessary additional wall to access. Worse, it wipes out a choice between quantity and/or capability, as well as creates an unwarranted grind that not everyone would want to have to play through. Do we really want people ranting and/or raving because of having to spend out more than they wanted and/or should have to? It seems to me that the answer to that is "No", as taking a choice away is a bad thing to do :(

Rkshz, you may not want to hear this, but I think it would help if you took the time and re-thought your idea through. You may come up with a better revision in the meantime, while the current-day layout of the Auxiliary Skill Tree is actually quite reasonable. ;)

~Mr. D. V. "Forcing maximum efficiency is actually NOT always the best idea." Devnull

[Edit by the Post's Author for some thoughts that they missed... Doing this in the middle of the night in their own Time Zone tends to have odd-but-correctable effects on their communication of their thinking...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 20 June 2020 - 02:29 AM.

#11 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

nothing about the current skill tree is reasonable

the entire skill tree is and always has been absurd :P

#12 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 20 June 2020 - 11:38 PM

View PostKhobai, on 20 June 2020 - 02:12 PM, said:

nothing about the current skill tree is reasonable

the entire skill tree is and always has been absurd Posted Image

Well, it could definitely have allowed for up to 110 Skill Nodes to be Equipped all at the same time, that's for sure. :)

But since we're stuck with only being allowed 91 at a time, I'm just saying some of the current design is reasonable in terms of somewhat not forcing unnecessary spending. I'm sure there was other things that could have been done to make it better, but the Skill Trees are what they happen to be right now. Changes to their Layouts at this point runs the risk of all kinds of Balance-related problems, and of course the need to refund ALL the Skill Node Unlocks again. Such would result in players having to rebuild their Skill Tree Layouts while frustrated that something forced them into a redesign of their setups. You can trust me when I tell you that's a storm which I never could look forward to. :mellow:

Beside what I have said above, I simply can not agree with Rkshz forcing more unnecessary spending, and definitely do not ever agree with their trying to force everyone to play the Consumables in a singular way. If their changes happen, that's effectively like trying to make us all play something out of the "BattleField" Game Series (at least what I know of it), and not the intended-to-be choice-filled path of what was meant to be MWO's design. :(

Of course, all of this thought comes let alone the note of the current Armor/Structure Limits in MWO's current-day designs. If PGI had really wanted to increase and slow down the Time-To-Kill, then those needed to be increased to 3x (three times) the TableTop Values, as opposed to the 2x (two times) that they are now. This really depresses me that they couldn't give people more chance to function in a Match, since we're not allowed to respawn with our current Mech in normal games. :unsure:

~D. V. "is of the philosophy for giving more choice in strategy, Consumables included" Devnull

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

I'm onboard with this if you're onboard with fixing radar derp to -1.2 seconds per node:

Posted Image

#14 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 688 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 02:31 PM

Thread moved to Feature Suggestions

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users