Best Tactic / Mech For Headshots?

34 replies to this topic

#21 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 01:05 PM

They didn't make it easy. I got trapped by a King Crab on Crimson Strait and tried to headshot him since I had to way to avoid him. Failed, I don't think I did a single point of damage to the head.

#22 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 26 June 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

It's pretty much always a "fluke" in actual combat because no one can headshot consistently against a moving mech. I've managed to down guys by chainfiring MPLs into an already-opened cockpit, but it's not by any means a high-percentage tactic.

The "gentlemen" in FAIT might be able to give you some tips about how take make it a much more certain thing...

#23 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 03:31 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 26 June 2020 - 12:37 PM, said:

It's pretty much always a "fluke" in actual combat because no one can headshot consistently against a moving mech. I've managed to down guys by chainfiring MPLs into an already-opened cockpit, but it's not by any means a high-percentage tactic.

Well i played 15 games in Quickplay for this event, i have 9 Headshots. Itsy quite easy if you try.
Basically Every assault is fair game. Heavys very doable and mediums is ahrd work. Lights are flukes for me.

Ther mighjt be a few players who even can headshot lights, but most of the time ping, HSR and such things amke it a fluke for me.

#24 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 04:15 PM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 26 June 2020 - 03:31 PM, said:

Well i played 15 games in Quickplay for this event, i have 9 Headshots. Itsy quite easy if you try.
Basically Every assault is fair game. Heavys very doable and mediums is ahrd work. Lights are flukes for me.

Ther mighjt be a few players who even can headshot lights, but most of the time ping, HSR and such things amke it a fluke for me.

What I mean by not consistently is that no one can rely on headshots to get through a match. What's a good hitrate when aiming for the head? Maybe 25% for someone who is really really good? If someone were really incredible and could hit 50%, he'd be averaging 8+ kills per match.

#25 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:41 AM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 26 June 2020 - 03:31 PM, said:

a lot of light pilots dont bother putting much armor on the head because of how hard it is to headshot a light. i usually strip down the head when i need the tonnage, maybe an extra half ton of ammo, but some players drop it to nothing, which i think is a mistake. hit em with strikes and cerppc splash and various other indirect means and you might get a head shot.

#26 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:10 AM

View PostZETECTIC, on 24 June 2020 - 12:43 PM, said:

So I've completed everything on the skilled pilot event, except the headshot one.

I've tried hunting AFKs / DCs with stealth fleas etc, but I'm tired of that.

Does anyone have any great tactics of how to get that elusive headshot?

Thanks!

Hey thanks for this thread I wish I had looked for it before I started one, good luck on your quest fellow head-hunter!

#27 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:25 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 June 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

a lot of light pilots dont bother putting much armor on the head because of how hard it is to headshot a light. i usually strip down the head when i need the tonnage, maybe an extra half ton of ammo, but some players drop it to nothing, which i think is a mistake. hit em with strikes and cerppc splash and various other indirect means and you might get a head shot.

I have never seen PPC slapsh to hit the head. I think that the head zone is excluded.

#28 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 29 June 2020 - 02:50 PM

Just bomb it with lrms. easiest mech to head shot is the cat once you know which window to hit. As for head armor on lights, all mine run max armor and a few points into survival.

#29 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 06:39 PM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 29 June 2020 - 02:25 PM, said:

I have never seen PPC slapsh to hit the head. I think that the head zone is excluded.

i only saw it once, hit a mech with a cerppc volly and saw the head disappear despite aiming ct and i got the kill credit, but that was some time ago. thing is it will only put 2.5 damage of splash into 2 random adjacent components, so a ct hit so the head only has a 2 in 5 chance to hit the head, and with only a tiny amount of damage. im not sure if it can roll the same component twice. either way its very rare.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 June 2020 - 06:46 PM.

#30 Dr Cara Carcass

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 643 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:31 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 June 2020 - 06:39 PM, said:

i only saw it once, hit a mech with a cerppc volly and saw the head disappear despite aiming ct and i got the kill credit, but that was some time ago. thing is it will only put 2.5 damage of splash into 2 random adjacent components, so a ct hit so the head only has a 2 in 5 chance to hit the head, and with only a tiny amount of damage. im not sure if it can roll the same component twice. either way its very rare.

Nope, what most likely happend is your shot got registered as headshot.Splasdh does not go to the head, You can go on the trainings ground lock on a mech and try ppcs all day.

View PostJediPanther, on 29 June 2020 - 02:50 PM, said:

Just bomb it with lrms. easiest mech to head shot is the cat once you know which window to hit. As for head armor on lights, all mine run max armor and a few points into survival.

LRM Headshots that are not fluke, i want to see that.

#31 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:49 PM

#32 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 01:56 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 27 June 2020 - 11:41 AM, said:

I run out of ammo way more often than got headshotted in light and most of my lights run 1-2 points armor in head, just happens so rarely, there isn't good enough player to headshot moving lights on purpose. I'm pretty sure I have died max 5 times by headshot in light.
Strikes cannot hit head, Splash cannot hit head, what other indirect means?

#33 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 06 July 2020 - 07:12 PM

View PostCurccu, on 05 July 2020 - 01:56 PM, said:

I run out of ammo way more often than got headshotted in light and most of my lights run 1-2 points armor in head, just happens so rarely, there isn't good enough player to headshot moving lights on purpose. I'm pretty sure I have died max 5 times by headshot in light.
Strikes cannot hit head, Splash cannot hit head, what other indirect means?

Large-bore LB-X autocannon increase your odds of hitting the head.

#34 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 09:56 AM

View PostLanzman, on 06 July 2020 - 07:12 PM, said:

Large-bore LB-X autocannon increase your odds of hitting the head.

Sure, but you could also one shot light mech from torso or take a leg instead of hunting head?

Edited by Curccu, 07 July 2020 - 09:57 AM.

#35 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 08 July 2020 - 08:05 PM

View PostDr Cara Carcass, on 05 July 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

LRM Headshots that are not fluke, i want to see that.

I have seen it done and done it a few times myself. sadly I wasn't recording at those times or fast enough to get the screen cap key. My best omg-head-shot moment was on crimsion straight on the platform in my 20ac 4ml hbk4gf on the walkway of the mountain side. Due to the height i was cockpit level and did a snap shot to an enemy getting a head shot with the ac 20. The enemy died and did a message in all chat moments later about it. I died within moments too. I was too busy laughing and had the rest of the enemy come up and core out my mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users