Best Tactic / Mech For Headshots?

34 replies to this topic

#1 Z E T E T I C

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

So I've completed everything on the skilled pilot event, except the headshot one.

I've tried hunting AFKs / DCs with stealth fleas etc, but I'm tired of that.

Does anyone have any great tactics of how to get that elusive headshot?

Thanks!

#2 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 12:49 PM

Dual HGauss. Memorize or at least familiarize yourself with head hitboxes:

https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

Aim for the head. Do it enough and you'll connect eventually.

#3 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:28 PM

Nah, just hunt AFKs or discos.

#4 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:32 PM

Play solaris. Strip your opponent. Wait for them to get bored and leave. Headshot.

Or just hunt a disco.

#5 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:40 PM

3 hppc awesome is an option 2.

#6 Z E T E T I C

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 01:43 PM

View PostIgnatius Audene, on 24 June 2020 - 01:40 PM, said:

3 hppc awesome is an option 2.

Why? Is it the splash damage?

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:03 PM

Nova with Flamers and MPL's.

Toast them with the flamers then pop the cockpit in one shop with the mpls when they shutdown.

#8 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:05 PM

View PostZETECTIC, on 24 June 2020 - 01:43 PM, said:

Why? Is it the splash damage?

No, it's just 45 pts of PPFLD (pinpoint front-loaded damage) that can one-shot a cockpit from like 600m. No splash damage from HPPC. Anything with burn time or spread is a bad choice (although small/med pulse lasers can do the work if you're a good shot).

Edited by Kubernetes, 24 June 2020 - 03:06 PM.

#9 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

What I'd like to know is if this is like a previous challenge, where we had to just get a headshot. I didn't get a kill from it, but I did manage to pop someone in their cockpit with a projectile (not sure if it was gauss or some variant of PPC). I got credit for completing the challenge, even though I didn't get the kill.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 24 June 2020 - 03:25 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 24 June 2020 - 12:49 PM, said:

Yeah, Dual HGR is how I got my single Headshot earlier today. Now to get a 2nd so I know it wasn't a fluke! :huh:

~D. V. "I guess they meant for those to be close & personal, huh?" Devnull

#11 PPC Principal

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 04:53 PM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...19a41aadc281db1

it will happen sooner than later. ran like 4 matches with a friend and didnt even notice. lots of people with less than 30 cockpit hp in total.

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 08:52 PM

when i need a head shot i take an annihilator with 4 ac10s into solaris. it helps if you take a leg to slow it down, or cleave its torso to reduce its firepower, depending on opponent build. and you dont even have to go that far if you get a potato opponent. if your aim is good and all your guns intact it is usually a one hit affair to turn the contents of the cockpit into puree. though sometimes you can just tank and hold fire till you got a clean shot, and that usually works too (it also makes you look like a potato which gives the enemy a false sense of security).

Edited by LordNothing, 24 June 2020 - 09:03 PM.

#13 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 25 June 2020 - 06:20 AM

Saturation Bombing - easy.
Posted Image

#14 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 25 June 2020 - 08:17 AM

I do very well in a Jager with 2 AC/20s and most of my headshots are on Canyon Network.

#15 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 25 June 2020 - 10:22 AM

I've gotten several headshots, tho I rarely try for them deliberately. I remember one glorious instance on the old version of Terra Therma, I was in a Marauder with a gauss rifle where the AC5 usually goes and popped an enemy mech in mid-jump right in the windshield. Squish. It was hysterical.

#16 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:32 AM

Light or medium, fast moving, laser vomit mech with a good alpha. Gaming mouse with a side button to set your mouse speed to 1/3 when held down. Cooperative, arrogant Atlas pilot. Look for the golden glow of the left eye. Laser means no muzzle flash to blind you, no flight time, and no recoil to disturb your follow up shots. Other weapons probably work as well (or better), but this is what has worked for me.

I've had 5 or 6 headshots, two of them on Atlas pilots who thought they could just power me down because they were big and I was half their weight. The two Atlas kills were deliberate (desperation) headshots, the rest were, huh, how did that happen deals. I have tried to pay attention to the cockpit locations of other mechs, but have never managed to target anything other than an Atlas on purpose. For some reason that left eye just screams "Shoot me".

Most of the time when I get head shot it is with a Gauss. For some reason peeking the ramp on HPG is especially poor judgement when you run ATMs and need LOS and a lock. People are rude and take advantage. :)

#17 Z E T E T I C

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 11:36 AM

Well in the end hunting afk / dc mechs with the pirates bane worked. I almost cored the guy finding the head!

Thanks for the replies and thoughts.

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 09:26 PM

View PostLanzman, on 25 June 2020 - 10:22 AM, said:

I've gotten several headshots, tho I rarely try for them deliberately. I remember one glorious instance on the old version of Terra Therma, I was in a Marauder with a gauss rifle where the AC5 usually goes and popped an enemy mech in mid-jump right in the windshield. Squish. It was hysterical.

same. lots of mechs, especially clan mechs, like to put the head right at the center of mass, where you are aiming for the ct. its easy to pop a warhawk/dire/madcat/timby on accident. aim small miss small, and sometimes you dont miss.

aside from intentional headshot runs in solaris, i think i only got one other intentional hit against a wolverine that shut down right in front of me. most were accidental hits.

#19 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 09:35 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 24 June 2020 - 12:49 PM, said:

interesting!
I always just assumed all the glass, or the entire area of the glass and its frame, was a headshot. Never knew it was just a single pane, and not always the biggest or most up front pane.

Edited by chevy42083, 26 June 2020 - 09:36 AM.

#20 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 26 June 2020 - 12:37 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 June 2020 - 09:26 PM, said:

same. lots of mechs, especially clan mechs, like to put the head right at the center of mass, where you are aiming for the ct. its easy to pop a warhawk/dire/madcat/timby on accident. aim small miss small, and sometimes you dont miss.

aside from intentional headshot runs in solaris, i think i only got one other intentional hit against a wolverine that shut down right in front of me. most were accidental hits.

It's pretty much always a "fluke" in actual combat because no one can headshot consistently against a moving mech. I've managed to down guys by chainfiring MPLs into an already-opened cockpit, but it's not by any means a high-percentage tactic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users