What's New?

24 replies to this topic

#1 BTGbullseye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationI'm still pissed about ATMs having a minimum range.

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:56 AM

So I've been away from this for a year due in part to the absurd anti-LRM nerfs that were being tested and implemented. What have I missed? Should I reinstall and give it another go, or have things stayed similar to how it was a year ago?

#2 VonBruinwald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 June 2020 - 02:02 AM

War, war never changes.

#3 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:49 AM

Just came back after a 5 month break myself. Apparently we're about to get a completely redesigned Matchmaker and PSR. So everyone's tiers are going to reset on Tuesday and things are going to be redone.

Interesting times.

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:00 AM

View PostJman5, on 27 June 2020 - 03:49 AM, said:

Just came back after a 5 month break myself. Apparently we're about to get a completely redesigned Matchmaker and PSR. So everyone's tiers are going to reset on Tuesday and things are going to be redone.

It's been delayed, people kicked off because they see it as a reward/punishment system instead of a matchmaker function. Wasn't enough participation medals for the ePeeners.

Matchscore is also getting a revamp, Russ is leaving that one in the hands of the "community", and by community, I mean a select few who are discussing it on a private discord and liaising with russ via pm.

#5 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:02 AM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 27 June 2020 - 01:56 AM, said:

So I've been away from this for a year due in part to the absurd anti-LRM nerfs that were being tested and implemented. What have I missed? Should I reinstall and give it another go, or have things stayed similar to how it was a year ago?

You should probably check the Patch Notes and the Announcements Forum Threads, as they'll have the lion's share of what useful information that you need and/or want... There were some Major Changes to Faction Play which happened while I was also out, and have made that so convoluted to such point of my not even touching it now. Heck, the only reason which caused me to come back for anything at all is the combination of the Pandemic, not having any game to play for too long due to limits in options, going a touch crazy in the head, and the offer of the WVR-Q that happened back at the time where I resumed. I suspect if not for the WVR-Q offer, I could have just as easily ended up not being here to answer your post now. Unfortunately, I hesitated for so long on taking the WVR-Q offer up that I missed out on getting into the matching Quarantine Event that could have given me an Alternate Camo Pattern to use for the Mech, and I can say that I regret my hesitation now. :unsure:

~D. V. "just doing what I can to point you in the right direction after we've both been offline for a year" Devnull

#6 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:19 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 27 June 2020 - 04:00 AM, said:

It's been delayed, people kicked off because they see it as a reward/punishment system instead of a matchmaker function. Wasn't enough participation medals for the ePeeners.

Matchscore is also getting a revamp, Russ is leaving that one in the hands of the "community", and by community, I mean a select few who are discussing it on a private discord and liaising with russ via pm.

Oh yes the "but I played so many games so I should be Tier 1" arguement is amusing. Sure that is what happend with the old system but wasn't intendet to do so. At least to my understanding people should still be able to fall in PSR but with a sligh higher trend towards rising...that totaly backfired. ^_^

Well I am interested to see where the new system will lead to. I did say give it at least a month to sort people out before we see if its actualy effective. For the first month I predict terrible matches....I mean we throw everyone into on big basket...what do you aspect to happen?

As for Russ and co only talking to a selected few...well as long as the result works better then what we had before I don't care who makes MWO a better game as long as they do.

#7 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:28 AM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 27 June 2020 - 04:00 AM, said:

View PostPaul Inouye, on 23 June 2020 - 05:12 PM, said:

This change will require a full patch to the client and servers. I do not have a direct ETA but it will be in the VERY near future. I will update this post as soon as I get the estimate tomorrow (Jun 24). This new system is currently being tested by QA and is working as intended. It's not a big patch, just needs to be timed correctly.

[color=orange]UPDATE: ETA is Tuesday June 30th.[/color]

#8 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:50 AM

The biggest change from a year ago, is that Group Queue is gone,and we now have a mixed QP queue (Soup Queue some are calling it) wherein up to 4-man groups are allowed on each team. You can sync a three and a two and get on the same team, and some have claimed you can get two three mans together, but I can't actually recall pulling that off nor having seen it.

The MM valves are apparently wide open, at least in terms of such groups, as it is now fairly common to drop as a 4-man of T1s and still see T5 Cadets on either side as well. Paul claims otherwise, but players have posted screen shots showing that it is true; not that it matters.

#9 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:04 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 27 June 2020 - 04:19 AM, said:

Oh yes the "but I played so many games so I should be Tier 1" arguement is amusing. Sure that is what happend with the old system but wasn't intendet to do so. At least to my understanding people should still be able to fall in PSR but with a sligh higher trend towards rising...that totaly backfired. Posted Image

Unfortunately, I think it was intended. The original design was built under the misunderstanding that Skill was a function of Time. That the more time you put into something the better you get at it in a linear fashion. The reality is that while you can't improve without putting in at least some time, quality practice time is way more important than quantity. Some people improve quickly, others improve slowly, some improve only in fits and starts, and others struggle to improve at all. People also tend to plateau at varying times and sometimes permanently. You can also regress.

Edited by Jman5, 27 June 2020 - 05:04 AM.

#10 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 05:26 AM

That could very well be. I think I read somewhere that it was also to show people some kind of progression and if so that was the wrong place IMO to show progress.

For me the most progress I feelt was when I was finaly earning enough Cbills on a regular basis that I could start experimenting with builds and get mechs pretty regular. The Tier bar? Ignored it for a long time. Only when one guy I knew startet going "I am close to the next tier" I even noticed it and decided that I couldn't care less....I needed the next fix of Cbills infusion for a new reactor ^_^

#11 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 517 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:35 AM

..in part to the absurd anti-LRM nerfs..

Posted Image

#12 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:51 PM

We used to have a saying at work when someone would brag about having "twenty years of experience".

"Do you have 20 years of experience, or one year repeated 20 times?"

Before the merge I moved from T4 to T3 and got maybe a third the way thru that, and I swear that the entire attitude of the game changed for the worse. More mouthy smack talking egotists, less team communication, more team damage in the DZ, pretty much everything negative about the game became more evident. Then came the merging of group and solo queues and after a couple of weeks I quit because it got even worse. I am hoping to start up again after the Tuesday reset and find that all those obnoxious people are a lot better than I am and they will lap me in the PSR race and the game will be full of fun people again.

#13 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 01:57 AM

I find it allways interesting that people say "Others talk trash and/or play bad" and often you then hear "the game is bad" while its the people playing it are the problem not the game itself...at least in this case.

Also something I observed is indeed that the middleground of games seams to have the worst gamers, what might be because its where most people will end up and its a mix of people actualy trying to improve and get past and those who just think they are good.

You could, very generalised say it like this:

Low skill = Most fun/not seriouse games, most people are relaxed
Medium skill = Lots of "You noob, its everyone elses fault", "the game is bad"
High skill = Good coordination, people talk, kinda tiring games because you have to realy focus
Godlike skill = No talking needed....people scares me ^_^

#14 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:11 PM

Well, thanks for the info all. I gave it a shot last night, and it seems I've lost all of my muscle memory for the game... Doesn't help that LRMs are almost useless now with the AMS coverage I was encountering, and the need to be almost as precise as lasers for longer than their burn duration to even lock something. (and they still haven't fixed the mouse deadzone when moving the view)

Edited by BTGbullseye, 08 July 2020 - 05:12 PM.

#15 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 05:45 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 08 July 2020 - 05:11 PM, said:

Doesn't help that LRMs are almost useless now with the AMS coverage I was encountering, and the need to be almost as precise as lasers for longer than their burn duration to even lock something. (and they still haven't fixed the mouse deadzone when moving the view)

They quite rightly nerfed in-direct fire on LRMs, no longer can you sit back at 800m in a valley in your assault just firing skill at people. Now you are incentivised to get your own locks for the low firing arc and higher velocity, I know its a hard thing to play in the team if you are a veteran lurmer but I believe in you.

In fact LRMs with direct locks are so effective that I once fired 2 LRM-20A with direct locks at a Corsair-7A with 4 AMS and I was consistently breaking through and consistenlty doing good damage.

#16 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 10:11 PM

View PostBTGbullseye, on 08 July 2020 - 05:11 PM, said:

Well, thanks for the info all. I gave it a shot last night, and it seems I've lost all of my muscle memory for the game... Doesn't help that LRMs are almost useless now with the AMS coverage I was encountering, and the need to be almost as precise as lasers for longer than their burn duration to even lock something. (and they still haven't fixed the mouse deadzone when moving the view)

So what about trying some other weapon(s) than LRMs?

Lasers? PPCs? Autocannons? Gauss Rifles? SRMs or MRMs? Advanced Tactical Missiles?

#17 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:19 PM

@OP to answer your question

PGI is trying to smother the game with a pillow

Get help!

#18 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 09 July 2020 - 06:53 PM

I get my physch evaluation soon for esa. Oh mwo...the normal pgi fked up again. I should just burn my pt while I still can. Shame you can't set any pt you buy as banked or active when you buy it or I'd think about buying it. Saved it in hopes of some thing big to burn it on but I guess use it before mwo goes 404.

#19 BTGbullseye

• The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

View Postmartian, on 08 July 2020 - 10:11 PM, said:

So what about trying some other weapon(s) than LRMs?

Lasers? PPCs? Autocannons? Gauss Rifles? SRMs or MRMs? Advanced Tactical Missiles?

You mean the dual HGauss I've been running to extremely great effect for some time now? I'm not a no-skill player, I just like more variety than just "point and click, or point and click and hold". ATMs still take WAY too many missile losses when there is even a single AMS in range, and all lock-on missiles still take longer to lock than it takes for an entire burn duration for Heavy Large Lasers, with about the same aiming requirements for similar damage.

The people that hate so much on LRMs are those people that refuse to do any advanced tactics in the battle. They're the same people that think that playing to the objectives is the wrong way to play the game. They're the same people that vote for HPG Skirmish EVERY SINGLE TIME IT COMES UP. These are the people that think that NASCAR is an "advanced tactic" instead of the fastest way to kill your own team's assaults.

Please stop suggesting other weapons that I already know how to use quite well.

#20 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 08:31 PM

Well the the last round of changes was a massive buff to direct fire for LRMs, so excuse us for assuming you don't know what you're talking about.

Your difficulty getting a lock suggests you want to sit in a ditch and leach off your teammates.

"Advanced Tactics"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users