19 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:00 PM

Ah! I know what you're all thinking, but no I'm not complaining about being headshotted out of a game all the time. No, I get head, leg, center, arm, butt, etc.. shotted all the time, (for some reasons some bug in my laptop gives me really big hitboxes... whadda ya gonna do?)

No, my whin.... My Cries of anguish are because I cannot get a head-shot for the sniper category of the skilled pilot event to save my life! lol Seriously, it has been a comedy of errors and splash damage.

Please Obi Wan! help me! you're Johnny's only hope!

#2 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 01:46 PM

why are you getting splash damage with heavy gauss?

#3 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,965 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 27 June 2020 - 10:09 PM

having a head shot requirement is very very strange

most players dont like getting headshotted (if you remember getting shot in the head and killed by drop ships, turrets, long tom you understand what I mean)

the only logical assumption is head shots are driven by stats
or because head shots have a lower % in the game then there is a push to have more head shots in the game

we dont know if PGI is using passive or active (or both) controls to push head shots is unknown

now we where told how to get head shot back in CW days
go heat vision look for the dark spot in the head and shoot that

I am pretty sure PGI changed that but you might try it

I don't actively go for head shots because its a good way to kill the game

#4 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 27 June 2020 - 11:44 PM

Thanks man I will give that a try, something I didn't know, you're a prince. I gave the heavy gauss but I'm just not consistent enough and switched over to the AC20.

I'd really like to redeem every category so if anyone else has advice I'd be happy to hear it, have a great weekend folks!

#5 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 June 2020 - 12:58 AM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 27 June 2020 - 01:00 PM, said:

Ah! I know what you're all thinking, but no I'm not complaining about being headshotted out of a game all the time. No, I get head, leg, center, arm, butt, etc.. shotted all the time, (for some reasons some bug in my laptop gives me really big hitboxes... whadda ya gonna do?)
The impact point is decided by the server, not by your laptop. Otherwise it would be very, VERY hackable.

No, my whin.... My Cries of anguish are because I cannot get a head-shot for the sniper category of the skilled pilot event to save my life! lol Seriously, it has been a comedy of errors and splash damage.
PIR-2, 6x C-ERuL + C-SPL

You basically take a sneaky route to the enemy's spawn zone and look for AFKs/DCs. Probe for the head hitbox with chainfire and then pop it with 1-2 salvos when you find it.

#6 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 02:38 AM

If you don't have a mouse with a DPI button that reduces your mouse sensitivity, get one. It helps. I have a Logitec 502 mouse and my DPI setting are 1150 normal, and holding the side button reduces that to 350.

That normal setting could probably be reduced a little more, I was still playing around with it when I quit playing.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 09:50 AM

1. put armor on your head
2. dont shut down in front of people
3. move around more

#8 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:20 AM

Thanks folks, will advise!

#9 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 03:45 PM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 27 June 2020 - 01:00 PM, said:

Please Obi Wan! help me! you're Johnny's only hope!

Just grab any mech that can fit two heavy guass and put them in one weapon group. Camp a corner or hill and wait for them. There isn't a cockpit in the game as far as I'm aware with 50hp. Worst case you make their ct armor fall in the danger zone.

Edited by Zirconium Kaze, 28 June 2020 - 03:46 PM.

#10 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 05:45 PM

I can't even get a head shot most of the time on a d/c.

#11 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 28 June 2020 - 11:20 PM

I've finished everything but..... the head shot! ye dam headshot!!! dam ye!

One day left lol

#12 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:09 AM

View PostCherokeeRose, on 28 June 2020 - 05:45 PM, said:

I can't even get a head shot most of the time on a d/c.

That's because the cockpit graphic isn't the hitbox. You can test this out in the testing grounds. On frozen city, there is a catapult not too far from the spawn and you can fire into each cockpit window and find out which one actually registers. In my opinion, the entire graphic should be the hit box. That in of itself would bring balance to "high alpha strike" mechs which ghost heat was originally intended to shutdown. They should do away with ghost heat.

#13 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:39 AM

Two different things here:

1. The cockpit hitbox on a mech that is DC from the start is shifted away from it's usual position to prevent HS farming
2. People have invested time and effort to figure out the exact hitbox locations for all mechs: https://mwomercs.com...localization-2/

P.S.: a mech that joined the game properly and DC'ed later has its cockpit hitbox in the right place, but headshotting it will not count as a headshot for achievements and challenges.

#14 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 29 June 2020 - 04:55 PM

Dozens and dozens and dozens of matches later....Still nadda... Posted Image

On the bright side the pursuit of the headshot and all the other achievements of the skilled event have push my damage per match way up! so that's cool. I earned my Bridesmaid and 1% titles as well this last week. While I can afford to buy the prime-time and still have over 500 GSP waiting to be spent so that's okay, I just really wanted to get every achievement for once.

#15 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 30 June 2020 - 01:09 PM

Final update.... I have failed!!!!!

#16 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 03:28 PM

32 minutes left...

#17 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,571 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:34 PM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 30 June 2020 - 01:09 PM, said:

Final update.... I have failed!!!!!

Better luck next time! I got lucky in taking dual HGauss/CGauss and aiming in the rough direction of the cockpit for every mech I shot. It helps to know the hitbox locations.

#18 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 11:48 AM

FYI, ac20 might have enough drop in height over range to mess with your headshot aiming. Just a guess... but seems likely. Gauss has much less drop, and PPC might also be easier.

#19 Johnny Slam

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:38 PM

Some really great tips in this thread, thanks folks! FYI I headshotted a catapult last night, and could not stop laughing at the timing.

#20 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:50 AM

View Postchevy42083, on 01 July 2020 - 11:48 AM, said:

FYI, ac20 might have enough drop in height over range to mess with your headshot aiming. Just a guess... but seems likely. Gauss has much less drop, and PPC might also be easier.

If I'm not mistaken, Gauss and PPC have zero drop and will always hit the spot aimed at, but if the target is still there or not when the projectiles arrive is a different story.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users