#1 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 30 June 2020 - 04:24 PM

Hello all,

I'm thinking of picking up an IS heavy-class hero mech, narrowed it down to the Top Dog or Jester.

Is one clearly better than the other when it comes to laser vomit other than the difference in the number of hardpoints?

Thanks!
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 30 June 2020 - 04:25 PM.

#2 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:12 PM

Top Dog all the way.. Several high hard points and currently has nice set of structural energy range quirks, along with arms that can help absorb incoming fire while twisting, whereas most of the Jester hardpoints are low key and 2 are in the CT, restricting it to 2x 1slot or 1x 2slot energy weapon and arms are just those barrels on the sides.

#3 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 08:22 PM

Thanks Tarl,

I was leaning towards the Top Dog but will wait to read other opinions.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 09:42 PM

Both are very fine laser builds that play very differently for me, but I think the Top Dog is the overall better laservomit. Jester has dual AMS, less hardpoints, less mobility but the advantage of being a Catapult, which often enough will be ignored when other targets are available.

#5 Ignatius Audene

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:47 AM

In general Topdog.
If i buy heroes i want them to do something rare. On Topdog u get nice 9 high mounted, tight laser slots. 3ll 6ermed with minimal exposure is something unique on IS Mechs (but many good variants 5 erll etc). Together with nice quirk set.

Jester is a good mech with range quirk. The plus here is jj and good geometry/dmg spread in erlarge trading. I like the 5 erll or 5 ll version.

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 01 July 2020 - 12:48 AM.

#6 Yiryi-Sa

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 169 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 07:13 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 30 June 2020 - 04:24 PM, said:

Is one clearly better than the other when it comes to laser vomit other than the difference in the number of hardpoints?

You could do Top Dog, and if you really wanted something similar that the Jester offers, get the Grasshopper 5J (which has massive armor quirks).

#7 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

Thanks for the advice everyone, I ended up getting the Top Dog and am running 8xMPL on it.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#8 AnimePops

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOklahoma, USA

Posted 16 January 2021 - 12:10 PM

Both of these are among my favorite Hero's in the game and also favorite laser boats in the game. Top Dog I would say is the easy winner as the better between the two, but that doesn't take anything away from the Jester. Jester is more mobile and arguably cooler (heat), Top Dog is sturdier with a larger alpha and hotter in most cases.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users