Potato, This Expression Is Rubbish And Hurts The Game.

149 replies to this topic

#1 Rex Matador

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 235 posts
  • Locationah hah!

Posted 30 June 2020 - 10:37 PM

Howdy folks!

Before I get all giddy about the new event and waxing lyrical about my new mechs and working on my new PSR I wanted as a midland pilot who works hard to bring new players and returning players on board to take a second to say:

Enough with the 'Potato' comments and slang

It's not clever, it's not accurate, and it make you look like jackasses thirsty to be seen as 'elite' rather than elite. This goes for you gents who make the great videos every week showing pilots how to improve and play with a team and build decent rigs. When you use the friggen stupid reductive term you undercut all the great work that your videos accomplish for the game.

And before someone throws the 'git gud' or 'nancy boy' comments just know this, no one has called me a potato in years, but i have seen it used again and again, even more of late, and what is really obnoxious is that it is used in a lazy way, without the full intent, yet still does all the same damage to alienate players.

You want to make other pilots feel inferior to you? well if that's your kink do it on the battlefield and leave this term in the rubbish bin where it belongs.

#2 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:09 PM

Is it okay that I call myself a potato(and I am a potato player)

#3 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:35 PM

The spuds are big
on the back of Bud's rig
and they're from Prince Edward Island
and they're from Prince Edward Island

#4 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 11:45 PM

Next they will want us all to start pulling down statues of Kerensky.......
M Grandma used to call me 'Spud', a spud is a potato, I was never offended & certainly never felt either she or I thought I was an actual spud.

#5 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

That's pretty starch.

#6 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:24 AM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 30 June 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

You want to make other pilots feel inferior to you? well if that's your kink do it on the battlefield and leave this term in the rubbish bin where it belongs.

As much as I understand your sentiment, trash talk is part of the battlefield. It spurs rivalries and baits clanners into doing stupid.

#7 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 01:58 AM

You think being called a potato is this big bad thing? Christ I'd hate to see what happens if you played with the people who actually get a bit spirited in BMing the team for being bad.

#8 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 02:25 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 30 June 2020 - 11:45 PM, said:

Next they will want us all to start pulling down statues of Kerensky.......

What you don't do for political correctness?? Posted Image

#9 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:09 AM

Ah yes, history shows us that when we don't like a word, all we have to do is tell people not to use the word.

#10 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:41 AM

I'd say it's very accurate. Potatoes are just not good. Unless they're mashed.
Just git guud or banter back.
Generally if you are in the 30 percentile and someone aks you why you're at 99%, last mech alive and lurming you've done something wrong and are likely going to be called a potato. It's because you played wrong and people are trying not to screech at you for playing with the brain power of a raw, lumpy, potato.

#11 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:44 AM

Some taters have thicker skins than others?

Edited by Dionnsai, 01 July 2020 - 06:45 AM.

#12 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:44 AM

I agree with you OP that it's lame, but so are the million other insults people would use instead like noob, trash, bads, etc. I don't think these people will ever stop using something like potato unless you can convince them to stop whining about their teammates' shortcomings and start focusing on their own.

#13 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 06:52 AM

We are all potatos of varying degrees.

But really, it's far better than alternative descriptions that are often used.

#14 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:16 AM

Wait, my name is based on potatoes...I'm from Idaho ....

Papa= potato in spanish
spud= potato in slang english

Do I have to make a new name after all these years?

#15 Valdarion Silarius

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 01 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

As a living tater I find this post spudfensive. Please check your starch privilege.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 01 July 2020 - 07:36 AM.

#16 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:17 AM

Posted Image

#17 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:50 AM

View PostJohnny Slam, on 30 June 2020 - 10:37 PM, said:

Enough with the 'Potato' comments and slang

I'd just like to say that you triggered me here and not in the way any rational person should be. I have been thinking way too much about this botanical based label and how we can, and I believe should, relabel the tiers and/or conduct of players within the confines of this game.

So if our baseline bad player is a potato, that is to say a tuber whose key characteristic for purposes of labeling is the fact that it grows and thrives below ground, then lets accord the Potato label to T5 players.

Now then, what's a good but still applicably descriptive plant name that grows at ground level (to indicate an appropriate rise from the depths) but still reflects fairly low level of performance (or taste) akin to the T4 experience? Maybe carrot -still int the dirt, but not as low growing as the potato? Maybe turnip? Ah ha! I have it: I say we go with Rutabaga.

As for Tier 3, there is no question what it must be: Cabbage. The average T3 player is hereby a Cabbage.

Now it gets tricky, what vegetation (I think we have to stick with those that fruit or otherwise are edible) corresponds to that ever so slight sense of superiority and achievement one has when they go from being merely plain jane "average" to the slightly above average of T2 [edited again! because I can't type]? Tomato? Perhaps. It's got more flavor than the others, it fruits (for the most part) above the rest, its related to the potato (part of the nightshade (Solanaceae) family) so the really T1 folks can still use the designation as an implied insult. Hmmm...maybe Tomato is the way to go here. I don't know though, if we go with tomato then we have to stay within the confines of the herbaceous, what if instead we mark the rise from the average to the slightly above average and use that as an opportunity to jump into the woody plants? How about Apple? Or maybe Plumb? Or go all in with Peach? Nothing is really working for me here. Lets stick with herbaceous plants then, Tomato is perhaps uninspiring here but then well you're only a bit above average so maybe it fits. I am certainly open to alternatives though.

For T1, we have to go with a plant that is tall, rising above the rest. A plant that is superior both in terms of stature and maybe even flavor? How about Corn? Doesn't exactly inspire does it? But then it hit me....the tallest herbaceous plant in the world is a form of: Banana. There is no other choice then, the elite of the game, you are all: bananas.

Sorry about that, just had to get that out. Now let us never speak of this again, you ****ing potatoes.

Edited by Bud Crue, 01 July 2020 - 09:55 AM.

#18 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:47 AM

It isn't the name, it's the attitude. Hide it all you want under PC language, people will figure it out and either become part of the clique or leave. When nothing is left but the clique, the game dies because you can't have a majority of elites.

I think online games are pretty much the proof that Stephen Hawking was right. We have a few decades left, perhaps a century and then the cockroaches get their chance at the big time.

#19 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:49 AM

The best potatoes are fried with salt. MMM french fries.

#20 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

We are all potato in the eyes of Evil/EMP

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users