Potato, This Expression Is Rubbish And Hurts The Game.

149 replies to this topic

#81 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 07 July 2020 - 10:02 PM

The core structure of this game shines a harsh light on even the most minor inadequacies of people's choices and reactions.
It's a severely competitive shooter with layers of such choices, delivered into the hands of as many regular people as the company (and the IP) can attract.

Under these conditions, it is inevitable - unavoidable that people will encounter others who either don't align with their goals & interests or have greatly differing levels of competence.

Mixing all of that together is a recipe for explosive or acid feelings. We're lucky that people are as controlled and polite as they are. Have you ever heard the kind of deeply hurtful, personal vitriol & extraordinarily toxic 'banter' from players of period or properly popular PVP games?
You should seriously take a few moments to do a little searching, especially those among us who think they have a moderately thick skin. The things they say to one another are literally and quite intentionally horrendous.

It's not nice, it's not healthy for the game or community and it's certainly not mature. It would be nice to hold people to a higher standard where even in make-believe combat we can be civil. Humans as a species just aren't there yet, we may never reach that bar... especially with what we've seen of people in more recent years.

Better that people vent in the moment and use a relatively innocuous term than really put their energy into figuring out ways to refine their frustrations.

Better yet to craft games that don't so lazily and effectively curdle people's emotions.

#82 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 July 2020 - 03:02 AM

This is a relatively nice community I think, not quite as nice as some communities (like dominions or the rimworld modding scene etc), but for an arena shooter it's certainly very good mannered overall. Just go look at the open queues in other online team shooters like WoT, counter strike, overwatch and so on and it's hard to say that the MWO community is toxic.

I have almost never heard someone call someone else a potato on public comms, and I think the few times it has happened it has predominantly been a frustrated player calling their team out in generals terms like "******* potato nascar team!" or something like that, not a personal insult against a bad player. I'm actually not sure if I can remember a single time when I've heard someone directly called a potato with the intent of insulting.

I have heard the term used in teamspeak/discord quite a bit when talking about bad players not on comms, also "baddies" and other less than perfectly polite ways of describing weaker players. Or as an endearing joke when a unit mate scrubs out. Now I dislike complaining and other uselessness on comms in general. But it's not like it does that much harm either when it's not said publicly.

All in all I think potato is a relatively soft and endearing term for weak players, you can argue that you should avoid pointing out that someone is bad in general as it's often not very nice. But I don't really see how "potato" is more insulting than simply calling someone a bad player.

#83 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 11:17 PM

Quite honestly people should feel lucky they are called potato instead of what they actually are. I swear the amount of braindead people playing this game is astounding, and they are not new players

#84 KHETTI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,328 posts
  • LocationIn transit to 1 of 4 possible planets

Posted 09 July 2020 - 12:41 AM

This is probably the least toxic community i've been part of, but what's strange is those who are deemed toxic aren't actually toxic at all, and a lot of those who deem others as toxic, are actually toxic by the way they choose or not choose how to play.

#85 Bronn of the Blackwater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 143 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:24 AM

I understand your concerns... But being called "potato" is relatively a minor thing, when some players shoot you because you are not playing as they think you should. Yesterday i was playing a faction match attacking vitric forge, and i saw some light mech jump wal down behind my team to try to backstab our last assaults. I took a good spot in my hellbringer to cut their way to the back of my team, and a guy on my team started to shoot at me, calling me "hidding coward". And this stupid even did not anounced him as drop caller or similar. I should have let the lights rip his back. But then for sure he will have blame me for not doing it...

Sometimes a diligent potato is right and a entitled banana totally wrong....

I never call potato a concrete player. But i use often the term relative to TEAMS. Even god players can form a potato team, because mechs, tactics, playstiles not always mix that well...

But the hardest tempations to call "überpotato" to someone comes whit people blocking your mech when you´re poking... Die because some idiot stays at your back and dont let you take cover is quite irritating... Specially when it´s a clever guy in a light or medium, trying to use you as meatshield, and being not careful to let you space to move...

#86 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 03:36 AM

View PostDashen, on 08 July 2020 - 11:17 PM, said:

Quite honestly people should feel lucky they are called potato instead of what they actually are. I swear the amount of braindead people playing this game is astounding, and they are not new players

I guess that with the new PSR bad players will gradually move to Tier 4 or Tier 5.

#87 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:50 AM

View Postmartian, on 09 July 2020 - 03:36 AM, said:

I guess that with the new PSR bad players will gradually move to Tier 4 or Tier 5.

Stop pushing, I'm well on my way there already! Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#88 r4plez

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 812 posts
  • LocationFoundry

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:17 PM

@ Johnny Slam youre just another potato in da basket, deal with it

#89 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:32 PM

The games full of a lot of delusional group think and circle jerking
True story
Posted Image

#90 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:51 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 09 July 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

Stop pushing, I'm well on my way there already! Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Oh, your stats are not that bad ... Posted Image

#91 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 10 July 2020 - 02:49 PM

View PostTirant Lo Blanc, on 09 July 2020 - 02:24 AM, said:

But the hardest tempations to call "überpotato" to someone comes whit people blocking your mech when you´re poking... Die because some idiot stays at your back and dont let you take cover is quite irritating... Specially when it´s a clever guy in a light or medium, trying to use you as meatshield, and being not careful to let you space to move...

I'm probably guilty of this a little at times, but the number of dipshits who can't pilot their mech anywhere but directly in front of my whilst I'm actually shooting is over the top lately (PSR stuff I suppose). As are ******* who don't realise that their lasers can't go through me, even if they are cunningly firing from 500 metres away at a target they can't really see.

#92 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 10 July 2020 - 03:20 PM

View Postmartian, on 09 July 2020 - 10:51 PM, said:

Oh, your stats are not that bad ... Posted Image

Actually, I've been using this PSR transition phase to skill up some of my unused, dust and cobweb covered, mouse condos in my hangar. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#93 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:20 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 10 July 2020 - 03:20 PM, said:

Actually, I've been using this PSR transition phase to skill up some of my unused, dust and cobweb covered, mouse condos in my hangar. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Yeah, I did something similar.

I pulled some old 'Mechs such as Cataphract, Orion, Hunchback or Banshee out of the hangar to see if they are still viable. Posted Image

Edited by martian, 10 July 2020 - 11:21 PM.

#94 SPNKRGrenth

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 184 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:42 PM

Stop calling people potatoes? Okay, whatever you say TURNIP.

#95 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 10:52 PM

Potatoes are rubbish and they are hurting team?

#96 HimseIf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Visekorporal
  • 270 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 13 July 2020 - 01:04 AM

I'm a potato.

#97 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 02:34 PM

View PostCurccu, on 12 July 2020 - 10:52 PM, said:

Potatoes are rubbish and they are hurting team?

If it weren't for potatoes you would have no one to carry or play with.
Like group queue or FQ
You should be thankful. Posted Image

#98 RJF Volkodav

• 1,444 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 04:39 PM

Almost every player this game have is a potatoe. Including myself. This game have such a low playerbase that true good players are very rare here. And now most of them quit playing. Just admit it and try to improve, or play for your fun if you're ok not trying. Being good at this game is so simple compared to other "mainstream" online shooters, you dont need to have excellent mechanical skill, you dont need tonns of trainings every day, you can just get on top 99% having decent aim, being critical to your positioning and looking for correct builds. But no, every single potatoe knows best how to play, doing everything right, and its team that carry those down each match. Be aware of D-K.

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 13 July 2020 - 04:40 PM.

#99 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 10:10 PM

Dude decent aim won't cut it, if one wants to be on the 99%.
Your aim needs to be in the top 1% to be on the 99% if math's serves me right.
So what you say can never happen. amirite?

If PGI did a proper job with match maker years ago at the start of things, potato would not have been a meme word thingie.

Because potatoes would of been sorted by skill and played other potatoes due to matchmaking and a large, no HUGE population to support that and elite and potato would never have met on the battlefield.

This is how it should of been.

But in those days Mech pack sales were FINE! WHAT PROBLEM!
match maker? Get outta here!

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 13 July 2020 - 10:16 PM.

#100 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 14 July 2020 - 12:21 AM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 07 July 2020 - 08:37 AM, said:

[...] when I do encounter some bitter pathetic individual. Generally I get a good laugh out of it because its just that...laughable. Then do my best to get the all worked up if I run into them again (I know, I know its not helpful to potentiate their anger, but oh well). The forums are a tiny snapshot of the game itself, so its much too small of a sample size to judge the player base as a whole off of.

BC, didn't we agree on not talking 'bout me in the public anymore? Wait 'til you get home, boah!

Furthermore ... the term "poor tato" should be handled as an incentive to enrich one's MWO skill set. Pity and compassion should make ye want to improve, not making ye feel comfortable in the effortless soil you dwell in.

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 14 July 2020 - 12:30 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users