12 replies to this topic

#1 Stonefalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:22 PM

Jay's system has hit the nail on the head.

All the people who should be in Tier 1 are climbing back up and all the people running potato are going down and whinging on reddit.

All is right with the world.

#2 MOBAjobg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:25 PM

...really !?

#3 Stonefalcon

• The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,372 posts
  • LocationProselytizing in the name of Our Lord and Savior the Annihilator

Posted 01 July 2020 - 03:28 PM

View PostMOBAjobg, on 01 July 2020 - 03:25 PM, said:

...really !?

You've made it.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:28 PM

too soon. idk give it a week. thats been a huge problem with this game, they take their time on things that need to be done now, and then make snap decisions before they have enough data. does this new system pendulum like it used to? at what frequency? am i going to bubble up? am i going to be dragging around 20k games worth of past stats? idk. i haven't even found time to play yet.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 July 2020 - 04:29 PM.

#5 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:34 PM

What's going on with the potato teams? Tier 5 friends getting put in Tier 1 match now? I asked Paul about this and never replied.

#6 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:41 PM

View PostStonefalcon, on 01 July 2020 - 03:22 PM, said:

Jay's system has hit the nail on the head.

All the people who should be in Tier 1 are climbing back up and all the people running potato are going down and whinging on reddit.

All is right with the world.

PPL crying about Tier is lame.
Once the grind to your ACTUAL tier, should not the QUALITY of matches be better?
Is that not the most important aspect of this patch?

#7 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 01 July 2020 - 04:57 PM

You can still damage farm your way up I think. My psr still going up on losses :(

#8 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 08:24 PM

To me it looks like it will take ages to reach your own tier. The change seems way too slow. And then think about all the below average players, many of them are that, because they don't really play much. They will be forever in tier 3.

I think the biggest problem could be speed of change.

#9 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:48 AM

Honestly I am in no hurry in climbing back to Tier 1, this week I have participated exactly ion ZERO nascars and I loathe to be force fed another ration of nascar any time soon. As a result I'm playing the worst mechs I have in my hangar, which is also another refreshing thing the tier reset has allowed me to do, some mechs I always enjoyed playing but that are simply not competitive or plainly put rubbish but which I have always enjoyed playing provided I don't get my *** spanked 7 out of 10 times I play them.

#10 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,882 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 02 July 2020 - 04:16 AM

This months Jarl's List data will be interesting to see. I feel like the potential for downward movement is too minimal relative to the upward bias. I don't see any noticeable retraction on the tier progress bar on losses, even big losses, but a single really good match appears to provide a significant jump to the bar. Guess we will see how it plays out.

#11 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:38 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 02 July 2020 - 04:16 AM, said:

This months Jarl's List data will be interesting to see. I feel like the potential for downward movement is too minimal relative to the upward bias. I don't see any noticeable retraction on the tier progress bar on losses, even big losses, but a single really good match appears to provide a significant jump to the bar. Guess we will see how it plays out.

It's zero sum though, so the aggregate amount of points awarded and detracted in a game add up to zero. You're probably not seeing any noticeable drops on losses because your score isn't that low compared with everyone else. Just take a look at your next few games and see how many people are getting double or single digit matchscores. Those are the people who are seeing big drops in their PSR. Not the guy who had a bad game but still managed a 180 match score.

What is happening right now is you're getting extremes. You have the people who really really ought to be tier 1 getting 1000+ damage games and hogging the lion share of positive PSR points. However at the same time you're seeing guys who really really out to be tier 5 and they're hogging the lion share of negative PSR points. Eventually you're going to hit a point where people are more sorted and I don't think PSR gains for those tip-top players will be quite as easy as they are now.

#12 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

View PostJman5, on 03 July 2020 - 09:38 AM, said:

It's zero sum though, so the aggregate amount of points awarded and detracted in a game add up to zero.

Funny thing is that while the points awards in the match is net 0, the PSR point people can earn is limited at 0 and 5000. We will actually see the population pushed significantly below 2500 average PSR because skill is skewed high rather than being symmetric.

#13 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 03 July 2020 - 10:28 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 01 July 2020 - 04:34 PM, said:

What's going on with the potato teams? Tier 5 friends getting put in Tier 1 match now? I asked Paul about this and never replied.

Remember, PGI just reset the PSR/Tiers including actual Tier 5 newbiie players, putting everyone middle of Tier 3, or 2500 PSR points, along with the new PSR settings. AND PGI is using the Group MM..... PGI showed a graph of the number of people in each tier of anyone who played a game in the last two months. Tier 5 of course had a huge population.

And PGI thought it was a good idea to put them into the Shark Tank with the reset. Apparently PGI is not concerned about recently signed up new player Retention.

Sort Jarls by avg MS to get the lowest sorts, then also by Games Played.. What could possibly go wrong, regardless of PSR setup is utilized for the MM?

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 03 July 2020 - 10:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users