- - - - -

Is End Of Game Damage Calculated Correctly?

6 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Crumpets

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 05:03 PM

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere, I cannot seem to find anything pertaining to this.

How is damage calculated for the end of game stat?

I am running a Piranha-1 right now which has 10 HMGs that do 1.5 dmg/s and am carrying 3,750 rounds total. Firing non-stop, I can fire for roughly 37 seconds total. So therefore, my theoretical max damage is 555.

I realize that range, accuracy, critical hits, etc.. all can affect the maximum damage that can be done, however there are matches where I will face hug other mechs and dump all my rounds into them and only come out with anywhere from 100-250 damage at the end.

I highly doubt that I am missing 50-80% of my shots, and range shouldn't be playing a factor when I am face hugging my target.

Is there something I am missing here? Is damage calculated based on structure damage? Armor damage?

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,598 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:13 PM

All damage you inflict upon your enemies is accounted for. No difference if its done against armour or structure.
Check your weapon stats https://mwomercs.com...ats?type=weapon

#3 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

View PostSir Crumpets, on 01 July 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

I highly doubt that I am missing 50-80% of my shots, and range shouldn't be playing a factor when I am face hugging my target.

Is there something I am missing here? Is damage calculated based on structure damage? Armor damage?

Did you realize that damage transferring through destroyed body parts of the enemy mech is reduced drastically?

Assuming your target has a destroyed side torso. However, the part of the enemy mech's hit box which used to be the side torso is still there and will still catch your fire. The damage is then transferred to the enemy's center torso, but at a reduced rate (though I don't remember the actual figure at the moment, sorry).

It gets worse: If a side torso is missing, the corresponding arm will be gone as well, but a stump at the base of the arm will still remain. Any incoming fire hitting that section of the mech will get reduced before being transferred to the (already destroyed) side torso, which then gets reduced again before being applied to the center torso. IIRC, the remaining damage getting through to the target's center torso is a fraction of the original damage, in the range of single-digit percentage.

Maybe that will explain what you are experiencing.

#4 Roland09

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-shu
  • Tai-shu
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLuthien, Draconis Combine

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:30 PM

Correction: I read that 60% of transferred damage is absorbed by destroyed locations, 40% pass on to the next location. So 16% of damage impacting a destroyed arm stump will end up going to the target's center torso. Not quite single-digit percentage, but still bad.

#5 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 10:26 AM

View PostSir Crumpets, on 01 July 2020 - 05:03 PM, said:

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere, I cannot seem to find anything pertaining to this.

How is damage calculated for the end of game stat?

I am running a Piranha-1 right now which has 10 HMGs that do 1.5 dmg/s and am carrying 3,750 rounds total. Firing non-stop, I can fire for roughly 37 seconds total. So therefore, my theoretical max damage is 555.

I realize that range, accuracy, critical hits, etc.. all can affect the maximum damage that can be done, however there are matches where I will face hug other mechs and dump all my rounds into them and only come out with anywhere from 100-250 damage at the end.

Hit reg can have an effect, due to many weapons such as laser and maybe MG too operate on ticks.
Fire a laser or mg into snow and watch the shape it makes, you will see a pattern of little pulse type thingies in the snow.

I talk lasers but imo it applies to mg too, since its hit scan like laser and imo uses ticks like laser

I will use some numbers, lets say a clan med ER laser is 8 damage and uses 8 ticks of 1 point each to apply that damage. (Yes I know its not 8)

If due to network quality and UPD protcol which does not recover dropped or lost packets means of those 8 ticks that left PGI's server if you lose half, only 4 ticks of one point each arrive at your computer so you only do 4 points instead of 8 points of damage (50%).

I made those figures up but the same principle applies to MG's as well imo.

In my experience the closer you are the worse it is because not only can you lose ticks and weapons damage but also the position of the enemy mech on your screen may not even be the same as what the server sees due to lost unrecoverable updates (UPD).

Its why I play sniper mostly.

At distance the difference between the enemy mechs position on the server and your client may be a few pixels but at closer range the difference can be tens of pixels and a clear miss, even doh on your screen it shows a hit the server sees something different.

Also at long range a hit reg issue is of little concern, and easy to recover from, but at face hug range it can get you killed QUICK!

Want to test your hit reg, take a masc mech and see if their is a delay in deactivating MASC. Delay means crap reg, no delay good reg.

My thoughts on the issue

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 05 August 2020 - 10:29 AM.

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:52 PM

View PostRoland09, on 10 July 2020 - 12:30 PM, said:

Correction: I read that 60% of transferred damage is absorbed by destroyed locations, 40% pass on to the next location. So 16% of damage impacting a destroyed arm stump will end up going to the target's center torso. Not quite single-digit percentage, but still bad.

100% - 60% = 40% moving on to the next body part...= 16%??
O.o; I think I missed something.
N/m I see what I missed; the side torso presuming it's also destroyed.

----------

To the OP:
As OZHomerOZ said, MGs operate on ticks (1 tick per ammo consumed; Smurfy is currently saying it's 10 ticks per second, at one point it was 8 ticks per second).
Also, as Homer said, it is a hitscan weapon; ignore the particle effects of the bullets and do not lead the target. Any shot that doesn't have the crosshair directly on the enemy does not count as a hit for any of the game's machine guns, period.

Unlike what Aren said, there is a difference against structure. This is where crits come in.
15% of all crit damage is included as bonus structure damage.
So your 555 damage if all delivered to structure at 1x crit, could be 638.25 damage (rounded down because end damage decimals are rounded).
The following is impossible, but if by some means you achieved 3x crits for every shot, every shot hit, and every shot was to structure, you could achieve 249.75 bonus damage for 804.75 damage (rounded up to 805 on the end game screen).

https://www.google.c...+how+crits+work

There is a 15% increase in damage multiplied by the number of crits. Example: an AC/5 does five damage to the internal structure of an unarmored location. If the hit also did three crits, the damage would increase to 5 + (5 * 3 * 0.15) = 7.25 damage to the internal structure.Nov 19, 2018

(Note the devs change **** all the time, so it is possible that crits might be set differently in terms of percentage or whether this mechanic is still a thing. I stopped keeping track of it since I stopped playing MWO in favor of modding MW5 Mercs but this thread stood out for some reason.)

Have fun; be certain you are aiming at the target and not leading the bullets. (For every other non-MG ballistic weapon, yes, lead the bullets as necessary).

Edited by Koniving, 05 August 2020 - 04:55 PM.

#7 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 04:28 AM

Video showing bad server sync

Still happens, doh the algorythm hides it better imo
Edit: Disconnects you before you see stuff like the above imo.

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 06 August 2020 - 09:12 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users