Solo Que Is So Screwed Rite Now

156 replies to this topic

#21 Knight Captain Morgan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 340 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

the solo queue was deleted, The competitive premade farm teams roflstomped all the solos out of faction play and into the solo queue. The competitive premade farm teams REALLY didn't like having to play against each other and group queue was dead so they threatened to quit. PGI caved and renamed group queue, quick play and forced all casual solo pugs to become cannon fodder for the premades.

#22 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:42 AM

Hello all,

For poops and giggles I run a couple of smurf accounts, one using only trial mechs and the ones PGI has gifted because I want to see how far I can get without buying new mechs and/or equipment. For the free mechs I move the armor around but only use weapons/equipment they came with or that I get from supply caches, swapping stuff around as necessary.

No skill points or consumables used either.

I use the account during events to pick the low-hanging fruit. These days teams are so random that this account is actually performing better than my main account which has many fully-skilled meta mechs.

Tiers will sort themselves out eventually and I hope the current situation doesn't scare away the new/new-ish players.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 02 July 2020 - 10:06 AM.

#23 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:46 AM

View PostKnight Captain Morgan, on 02 July 2020 - 09:32 AM, said:

the solo queue was deleted, The competitive premade farm teams roflstomped all the solos out of faction play and into the solo queue. The competitive premade farm teams REALLY didn't like having to play against each other and group queue was dead so they threatened to quit. PGI caved and renamed group queue, quick play and forced all casual solo pugs to become cannon fodder for the premades.

If premade competitive teams hate playing each other we must not have any player run competitions or leagues anymore right? Certainly we didn't have players organize a World Championship last year when PGI decided they didn't want to devote resources to it?

Oh. Wait. We still have player-run competitions and we did have a player-run WC last year.

Strong groups, and competitive teams in general, were not the ones who drove this change to the queue. Many people in those groups pointed out exactly what would happen, and how badly groups can stomp the queue, but PGI did it anyway. The people advocating for the current mess of a queue were largely average to below average performers and were for the most part not associated with competitive MWO.

#24 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 10:45 AM

+1 Brauer

You look at the top guys from any of the competitive teams/units and almost to a person they said that merging was a bad idea and clearly explained why.

I'm pretty sure all those "I wanna play with my friends" folks were really saying they "wanna stomp people with my friends" if you listened closely enough. But that would only take place if they got to group up against pugs or low skilled players. That's why they quit playing faction or group, and why so many of them aren't even playing now - because they probably ran into a buzzsaw of good players one time too often in merge queue.

Those of us who hate the merge queue are on the same team here. Let's not go alienating good or competitive players for stomping in the soup queue. They're just playing the game to the best of their abilities in the only quickplay queue left. Blame the "I wanna play with my friends" people and PGI for sticking them in with solo pugs without a semblance of a matchmaker.

#25 Nearly Dead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 274 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 11:02 AM

I doubt MWO can survive this change. Saying it will sort it self out over time is like saying the bleeding will stop eventually. Yes it will, when you run out of blood.

Solo players were the majority of the game and they threw us under the bus to please a noisy minority.

Uninstalled.

Edited by Nearly Dead, 02 July 2020 - 11:06 AM.

#26 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:08 PM

I see just as many bad teams as good ones and I don't see much difference in the scores than before. Just the nature of the beast some games will be stomps and good teams will play good teams too, I see it during matches right now. You can only have 4 people on a team, if you have 4-5 good people it all evens out. People complaining about the "uber" teams are just looking to explain away their loses- it happens, it's just a game and I get salty too- playing solo you have just about as much chance being matched with the "good team" as with the less than desirable players.

Have fun, play the game...take a few loses here and there... give this a little time to settle out before we declare "end of the world".

#27 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:15 PM

View PostGrumpy Old Man, on 02 July 2020 - 05:41 AM, said:

I watched Baradul's newest video today, and had to laugh at his comment of "Go home, Matchmaker, you are drunk.".

Yep, must see for those who think that with the new psr System everything will be fine.

10 versus 2 assaults, gg close! https://youtu.be/oLpg9EQENtE

#28 DevinMace

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:25 PM

Since group queue was added I have now brought 4-5 completely new players to the game so we can stomp everyone....

View PostSnowhawk, on 02 July 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

Yep, must see for those who think that with the new psr System everything will be fine.

That is not psr, that is the matchmaker.

#29 Brauer

• 1,066 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 12:39 PM

View PostSnowhawk, on 02 July 2020 - 12:15 PM, said:

As Devin noted that has absolutely nothing to do with the PSR reset or the changes to how PSR is awarded. Weight class imbalances were introduced when PGI added groups to Quick Play and PSR differences between teams were made worse at the same time.

#30 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 01:50 PM

View PostPapaspud, on 02 July 2020 - 12:08 PM, said:

I see just as many bad teams as good ones and I don't see much difference in the scores than before. Just the nature of the beast some games will be stomps and good teams will play good teams too, I see it during matches right now. You can only have 4 people on a team, if you have 4-5 good people it all evens out. People complaining about the "uber" teams are just looking to explain away their loses- it happens, it's just a game and I get salty too- playing solo you have just about as much chance being matched with the "good team" as with the less than desirable players.

Have fun, play the game...take a few loses here and there... give this a little time to settle out before we declare "end of the world".

To be fair, the game was f****d the moment they declared they were keeping merge queue. The rest is just rearranging deck chairs......

I won't play again until we get a true solo queue back or PGI prove they can balance groups in solo. Odds not good.

#31 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

Which begs the question.. why is there no match making after all? MWO might not have enough players to match by skill, but is this really a reason to not match by tonnage?

#32 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:10 PM

View PostReptile Blackdeath, on 02 July 2020 - 06:38 AM, said:

hehehe. omg.. this system....... I guess some one the stomps could give will give the one's who like to game the system their Ace of Spades....... maybe Deathstar?

Except those of us who did it legit years ago. https://mwomercs.com...ades-in-locust/

#33 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:30 PM

Ok, ok... I see this is the typical Mwo "Progress": One step foreward and two steps backward.

We have now a new psr System but no balance for Tonnage and additionaly you can face a 4 man Group where your Team just has casual Gamers.

So in times of 18 core processors with 4,5 ghz it's still not possible to balance the weight classes per Team. Ok, I get it.

Conclusion, actually this is the worst matchmaking we ever had (apart from mwo-beta).

#34 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 07:42 PM

We'll it's been interesting the past couple days. Good competition, for sure. I like it, I've gotten halfway to T2 from where we started, looks like I'm gonna be a T2 player, for a long time. I'm ok with that. I haven't even played with MRMs yet. Still a lot to learn. And I don't even really know how to build/pilot an assault yet either.
It's going to be a change for the better.
I have a feeling we are way above normal population right now as well.

Edited by CherokeeRose, 02 July 2020 - 07:42 PM.

#35 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:35 PM

You tier 5 players will get back so your safe area soon. Not like anyone has been happy with the match maker for last 5 years. What else is new.

#36 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 02 July 2020 - 09:42 PM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 02 July 2020 - 01:50 PM, said:

To be fair, the game was f****d the moment they declared they were keeping merge queue. The rest is just rearranging deck chairs......

I won't play again until we get a true solo queue back or PGI prove they can balance groups in solo. Odds not good.

I was shocked to see your jarls list stats basically haven't changed in a year. You would think with the game being f****d I would see some differance.

#37 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:03 AM

View PostAnomalocaris, on 02 July 2020 - 10:45 AM, said:

I'm pretty sure all those "I wanna play with my friends" folks were really saying they "wanna stomp people with my friends" if you listened closely enough. But that would only take place if they got to group up against pugs or low skilled players. That's why they quit playing faction or group, and why so many of them aren't even playing now - because they probably ran into a buzzsaw of good players one time too often in merge queue.

You really think it's about stomp people? Good luck to your friends. Of course 12 man group stomps always were more fair... Have no idea why PGI put 4 man groups in quick play. It should be 2 man group max; one 2 man group for every side. So imo PGI spoiled a good idea here.

It's like double edged sword right now in quick play. New players can meet vets in a game, they gonna be stomped probably, but they can learn something also. It was here before. Vets are playing in team with new players, so they have to somehow pull up the game. I started MWO year ago and I have one thing to say to new ones like me: Don't have any illusions, this game will never be easy for you. The only way is to get out of your comfort zone and try to improve. Sometimes it's like sick RPG where you're fighting final boss having level 1. That how it goes. Sorry boys and girls but if I wanna achieve something I don't start from crying. Started tier reset with Flea and had plenty of fun backstabing hordes of assaults and running between hordes of assaults from mine team. Got a feeling that right now it's harder to go up in tier even with the decent matchscore, and maybe it's good, still not sure. From my Flea perspective it looks like you really have to do one's best.

But, maybe it's too much too soon. 4 man groups, tier reset, new score system, all players in one sack. With f..cked up tonnage limitations.

EDIT: Imo 4 man groups spoils a day. Some will do sucha groups to quickly go up in tier, but those will be experienced players. Still don't understand why some wanna go up so fast and left the rest behind rather than say hi to those from lower tiers and those with less experience. So PGI left open gate for those who wanna be tier 1 asap and still saying that tier don't matters. Why so many are unhappy? Dunno.

So another topic opting for 2 man groups in quick play.
https://mwomercs.com...n-groups-in-qp/

Edited by Bistrorider, 03 July 2020 - 12:20 AM.

#38 RJF Volkodav

• 1,444 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 01:21 AM

Hey. 4 man group is bad for good players as your mates would steal you dmg. I preffer playing solo or 2 man so i could farm more Posted Image. Yeah, off course a good 4 man can easily farm QP even running fun builds. That was mentioned by almost every good player here. Would be much better to keep GQ and let solos opt in for GQ to farm those groups Posted Image.

To have GQ really alive and save the farm from being farmed PGI would possibly need to make dynamic (variable) player count in match for GQ but thats another story...

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 03 July 2020 - 01:24 AM.

#39 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:14 AM

I have yet to encounter those "try-hard groups out to stomp some Solos". I've seens groups, but they were running all kinds of builds, none of which I'd call meta. And it didn't ment auto-win to have a group in your team (not always, at least).

#40 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 04:32 AM

View PostThorn Hallis, on 03 July 2020 - 04:14 AM, said:

I have yet to encounter those "try-hard groups out to stomp some Solos". I've seens groups, but they were running all kinds of builds, none of which I'd call meta. And it didn't ment auto-win to have a group in your team (not always, at least).

If having a group on your team doesn't prevent a stomp (which a lot of them don't) the players together are so bad as to be almost the anti-matter equivalent of pro-competitive teams.

The problem isn't that group = instant-win it's that in a solo queue which group one gets often determines the whole experience. Since groups are balanced around nothing not even tonnage they break the matchmaking in all manner of creative ways.

When solo queue was just solos we didn't see 10 assaults versus 2 assaults, for instance but now it's a common event just to allow for the smallest demographic in the game to continue at the expense of 90% of the playerbase.

A group doesn't guarantee a win, but some groups do and some groups almost guarantee a loss and at stomp levels of loss to boot. Rather than being seeded with a random number of terrible players now we're matched up with a pre-selected 4 which are not only dragging the team directly into the gutter, but also taking up slots that could have been filled by a competent team or decent solo players.

Everyone already knows there are Units whom if you see their tag you know it's going to be a bad match, either way yet to cater to these small groups we have this entire mess.

It's trash all the way down.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users