New Player Assault "how To"

14 replies to this topic

#1 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:13 PM

Just wanted to let all the new players know that i've made a quick guide on how to play the ASSAULT class mech.

The following video is a LIVE match with commentary on the spot, it demonstrate how an assault should be played.

I try to keep things simple, let me know if you have something to add, or even if you disagree(don't do that).

I hope my english is ok cause i'm not native of any english country.

Btw the video is not monetized, i gain absolutely nothing, i genuinely want to see assaults not sitting in the back clueless and confused.

https://youtu.be/yXjKt8UW7Pc

#2 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:21 AM

I like your style and I hope players who are considering assault mechs will first have a look at your video.

GLHF

#3 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

I think you greatly ovesimplifying issue of role of assault and don't give much attention to the most important thing in assault - positioning on the battlefield.

First of all, assaults are not homogenous "be on the front" or "bring most firepower" guys. There is roughly three groups of assaults - upscaled heavy, gunboat, roadblock.

Upsclaed heavies is mostly IS guys like Charger, Victor and Zeus, but also some clan boys like Warhawk and Gargoyle. These mechs can dish and take a bit more punihsment than heavies, but they ultimately not much stronger than them and shouldn't be used as tanks much. Zeus can dish damage - thanks for the quirks - but it cannot take it in return with huge profile.

Gunboats start to bring a real firepower on the table, dwarfing most heavies in sustain, but they are not exactly durable and ususally have bad agility. It's mostly clan 'Mechs like Mad Cat II, Marauder IIC or Blood Asp, but also some IS guys like Nightstar, Stalker or Awesome. They should take position in the middle of the team, because their weapon and durability best served here, and they cannot be flanked so easy.

Roadblocks are heavies, baddest assaults which can bring most of firepower and/or durability on the table and act as both target for the enemy and firepower barge for the team. These 'Mechs indeed should try to get into forward position and attract some enemies, while shooting their best. Roadblocks ususally cannot affrod slow down and retreat, so they shoudl pick positions and confrontations very carefully and be committed in the push.

Second, one of the most important thing for assaults is positioning. Positioning within the team, positioning against the enemy team, positioning for best usage of weapons on the 'Mech. Because assaults usually have worst speed and mobility in MWO, player should always think about such things beforehead. If you cannot think ahead in the assault, you will be easely focused, flanked or left behind.

Third, you are mistaken when it comes to difference in durability. Tanky 'Mechs with good profiles or additional quirks like Quickdraw IV-Four, Champion, Dragon, Marauder etc. also CAN take a lot of damage, but usually they don't need to because they can EVADE said damage in the firs place. Their ability to poke, poptart, twist and turn to splash damage is MUCH better than armor level of huge targets like assaults.

Lighter 'Mechs usually can choose their trades and avoid return fire, but with something like King Crab or Annihilator you basicly have no choice but to take everything in the face. This is why positioning is so important - you can afford some mistakes in the "agile like medium" 60-tonner, but you cannot afford any in "i'm big as a barn, and just as agile" 100t 'Mech.

Finally, you are underestimating battle power of lighter 'Mechs. They are ususally lacking in sustain and alpha, this is true.

But with lighter egines (and XL ones), with better agility for twisting and better speed which allow them to pick their battles, sometimes even mediums can win over assaults, as long as they play their strenghts and don't go into the facetanking. Boating ceratin role-based weapons like ATM, RAC or MRM can get you into disadvantage in certain situations, and if your team won't support your back against unfavorable opponents, you can lose 1-on-1 scenario.

Basicly, every assaults need to know positioning, timing of attack and positioning agains as main priority in the fight. Don't overextend and push into fire line, don't push into crossfire, don't go alone.

P.S. Also, don't trade firepower for speed, especially on gunboats or roadblocks, that's just stupid.

#4 purplewasabi

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 170 posts
  • LocationMalaysia

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:00 PM

View Postletir, on 16 July 2020 - 11:31 AM, said:

I think you greatly ovesimplifying issue of role of assault and don't give much attention to the most important thing in assault - positioning on the battlefield.

First of all, assaults are not homogenous "be on the front" or "bring most firepower" guys. There is roughly three groups of assaults - upscaled heavy, gunboat, roadblock.

Upsclaed heavies is mostly IS guys like Charger, Victor and Zeus, but also some clan boys like Warhawk and Gargoyle. These mechs can dish and take a bit more punihsment than heavies, but they ultimately not much stronger than them and shouldn't be used as tanks much. Zeus can dish damage - thanks for the quirks - but it cannot take it in return with huge profile.

Gunboats start to bring a real firepower on the table, dwarfing most heavies in sustain, but they are not exactly durable and ususally have bad agility. It's mostly clan 'Mechs like Mad Cat II, Marauder IIC or Blood Asp, but also some IS guys like Nightstar, Stalker or Awesome. They should take position in the middle of the team, because their weapon and durability best served here, and they cannot be flanked so easy.

Roadblocks are heavies, baddest assaults which can bring most of firepower and/or durability on the table and act as both target for the enemy and firepower barge for the team. These 'Mechs indeed should try to get into forward position and attract some enemies, while shooting their best. Roadblocks ususally cannot affrod slow down and retreat, so they shoudl pick positions and confrontations very carefully and be committed in the push.

Second, one of the most important thing for assaults is positioning. Positioning within the team, positioning against the enemy team, positioning for best usage of weapons on the 'Mech. Because assaults usually have worst speed and mobility in MWO, player should always think about such things beforehead. If you cannot think ahead in the assault, you will be easely focused, flanked or left behind.

Third, you are mistaken when it comes to difference in durability. Tanky 'Mechs with good profiles or additional quirks like Quickdraw IV-Four, Champion, Dragon, Marauder etc. also CAN take a lot of damage, but usually they don't need to because they can EVADE said damage in the firs place. Their ability to poke, poptart, twist and turn to splash damage is MUCH better than armor level of huge targets like assaults.

Lighter 'Mechs usually can choose their trades and avoid return fire, but with something like King Crab or Annihilator you basicly have no choice but to take everything in the face. This is why positioning is so important - you can afford some mistakes in the "agile like medium" 60-tonner, but you cannot afford any in "i'm big as a barn, and just as agile" 100t 'Mech.

Finally, you are underestimating battle power of lighter 'Mechs. They are ususally lacking in sustain and alpha, this is true.

But with lighter egines (and XL ones), with better agility for twisting and better speed which allow them to pick their battles, sometimes even mediums can win over assaults, as long as they play their strenghts and don't go into the facetanking. Boating ceratin role-based weapons like ATM, RAC or MRM can get you into disadvantage in certain situations, and if your team won't support your back against unfavorable opponents, you can lose 1-on-1 scenario.

Basicly, every assaults need to know positioning, timing of attack and positioning agains as main priority in the fight. Don't overextend and push into fire line, don't push into crossfire, don't go alone.

P.S. Also, don't trade firepower for speed, especially on gunboats or roadblocks, that's just stupid.

I agree with you letir, the things that you've describe should really be what assault pilots strive to learn if they want to commit to assault mechs. But I believe the simplified video from OP is so cadets wont get overwhelmed Posted Image I hope they will understand there are a few layers they need to go through before they can truly master a weight class/this game.

#5 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 01:56 AM

In relation to quick play. At least at the lower tiers, one thing that is oh so very important is speed.... Reason, if you're running something like an Annihilator, you very well may be left for the vultures... Just saying...

#6 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 November 2020 - 04:39 AM

Just saying that with MM valves releasing so often, functionally their often is no lower Tiers as we are all stuffed into the same match.
From Cadet to T1.
Best practice is the way

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 06 November 2020 - 03:38 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 06 November 2020 - 04:39 AM, said:

Just saying that with MM valves releasing so often, functionally their often is no lower Tiers as we are all stuffed into the same match.
From Cadet to T1.
Best practice is the way

You realize Cadets start in T3 these days, right? That was one of the changes PGI made when they made PSR zero-sum.

#8 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 07 November 2020 - 06:54 AM

If I am not mistaken, as a tier 3, you can be put into matches with tier 2, and 4 players. Tier 1 with 2 and 3. Tier 5 with 4, and 3.

#9 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 09:55 PM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 07 November 2020 - 06:54 AM, said:

If I am not mistaken, as a tier 3, you can be put into matches with tier 2, and 4 players. Tier 1 with 2 and 3. Tier 5 with 4, and 3.

During off-peak hours, almost all available players are lumped together.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:12 AM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 07 November 2020 - 06:54 AM, said:

As a T3 you can be placed with anything from T1 to T5. But you shouldn't see T5 with T1-2 or T1 with T4 in the same match.

#11 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 November 2020 - 02:23 PM

View PostHorseman, on 21 November 2020 - 02:12 AM, said:

As a T3 you can be placed with anything from T1 to T5. But you shouldn't see T5 with T1-2 or T1 with T4 in the same match.

But, ya do. Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#12 Doriam

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 November 2020 - 07:59 PM

Soon they will be starting at Tier 4

#13 Dashen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 154 posts

Posted 11 April 2021 - 01:04 AM

I would like to apologize for not taking the time to reply, followed it for a while then gave it up thinking NOBODY would care.

Sorry guys.

#14 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 11 April 2021 - 03:53 AM

Good vid, I just want to say Assaults are the backbone of a team, if they all work to push together you break the enemies

#15 SwampHonkey

Rookie

• The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 3 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 19 July 2021 - 07:30 AM

Great video! You said it exactly right Ball of Steels!!! Only way to do it brother! Hope I don't wind up across the battlefield from you. But if it happens I guess it's you and me in the center of the map!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users