#1 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:15 PM

Warning: If u not T1 like moi, I discount u by 50% /s

Also some parts of this is humble brag and lots of rambling for my personal gratification.

TLDR:

1. Heaviest tonnage + Highest Damage = Rank up
2. Aggression leads to Stomps
3. Lights are ******
4. Don't worry about group drops in lower tiers
Edit:
5. PSR is still ALL about damage. You can go T1 with a losing record.

Wall of Text Review:

Retired mostly in Dec 2018. Just reached T1 in 125 matches with a lowly 1.34 WLR and 2.23 KD because I'm bad. Solo only. Definitely a slow climb. Top tier players like MPG or Moba did it in 60 to 70 games solo. I expect top tier group drops to do it even faster. Maybe 50?

1. Bring your heaviest because there is no tonnage matching. In 1 memorable match, I was placed with a top tier group and the team had 9 assaults vs 6 enemy assaults. We just face tanked and pushed in. Tonnages correlate to higher MS. Higher tonnages/armor means less risk to pilot regardless of skill level and potentially more damage dealt.

2. Bring the mech that you can deal the most damage in so that even in a losing match, you can still rank up. 400-600 damage should ensure either maintaining PSR or increasing PSR. It can happen but I've only seen once when a 600 damage performance led to a drop in PSR because the team was performing around the 400-500 mark as well. I just rotated the MCIIB & the ECM Bas since they were already set up prior to my retirement.

3. Bring airstrikes. These will increase your damage numbers up and assist in winning the game. Always try to survive enough to use both. I'm not asking people to farm damage but to play to win and at the same time try to survive. Can't deal damage if you are dead. Of course don't play to the extreme of ignoring the win conditions and farming damage only.

4. Since everyone is now lumped into T3, there are a lot of bad players. ECM will render you invisible to them. You might consider the heaviest mech you can find with ECM since most of the battlefield will ignore you.

5. Stomps are a function of aggression & the game having no respawn mechanics unlike other games. In the beginning of the T3 climb, you'd find matches are passive with closer scores. This is because no one knows what to do or have no map knowledge to know where to push or simply fumbling with controls. Passivity leads to close scores and long games. In the later part of the tier climb, aggression increases and stomps & short games will occur more frequently. This is because most of the veteran players know what to do. Personally I did not like the long and indecisive texture of the matches in the lower tiers. I was happier once I reach the higher tier matches as they were faster and more aggressive. I do not think that stomps can ever be engineered away in the higher tiers because there is no instant respawn mechanics unlike other games where you can reorient and re-calibrate your strategy.

6. Lights are ****** in this weight heavy meta. Do you mainly play the objective or deal damage & play the objective? You only have so much time ingame plus with so much armor around, you have a lot to chew through. I feel lights should be given bonus PSR if they are matching Assault level damages. A 20 ton mech dealing 600 to 800 damage (30x to 40x weight) as compared to a 100 ton mech dealing (6x to 8x weight) should get a massive bonus in addition to their capping duties. Similarly, a 100 ton mech should go down massively in PSR if they are only dealing 100 damage.

Edit: Read this https://mwomercs.com...rting-for-duty/ . If you go for caps as a light, you'd probably still go down in PSR even on a win if you did not deal enough damage. PSR is all about damage.

7. Losses do not seem to lead to much of a drop for me, maybe because I was dealing high enough damage to ameliorate the losses. Perhaps the penalty should be much higher or maybe it should just be solely based on WLR in order to promote the play to win mentality. The current system can still be gamed. I still see the same Raven & Ach players farming while losing (you know who you are)

8. If I took 125 games to climb up to T1, does it mean it will take a T4 or T5 125 painful games to go down to their respective tiers? It surely does not feel good to be a punching bag for that long or good for retaining totally new players who are dropped into T3. However if we put everyone in T5, then there will be people smurfing again. Without the initial 10-20 "seeding" matches (which was removed I think, I don't know), smurf accounts can take a long time to move up and new players a lot time to move down.

9. Don't be worried about groups in the T3 or lower. At first I was worried when I heard about the queue merge. However after playing through the tiers, you'd realize that outside of the top few teams, clan tags mean nothing. There are consistently a few teams who are really bad even if they group drop. If you were already an average T1 before, you should do fine for the climb. I cannot imagine the agony of the T4 or T5 players who had to listen to these ******** constantly in the lower tiers. However once you go higher, I would imagine the matches with the top tier teams will become more difficult and sweatier, especially if you are not on the same side. A group drop of top tier T1 players will almost always swing the tide. So in this regard, nothing has changed for the past few years I think.

10. If you really want to accelerate your climb to T1 and to save some time, join a top tier group drop. It will push you through the ranks faster.

End:

Anyway just some thoughts. Fun while it lasted. I'll still visit Posted Image

So long and thanks for all the fish! (Not a farewell thread, don't delete this mods)

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM.

#2 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:26 PM

are these seeding matches confirmed or not? some people say yes, other say no. It seems the inital matches are a lot faster and then now the PSR changes are slow as molasses. I got out of tier 3 in ~10-15 matches, but now the climb through tier 2 is slow and grindy.

#3 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 July 2020 - 08:33 PM

I've been pushing up towards T1 exclusively in a light and i have to say it's been a challenge but i must admit that it would be far easier in an assault, yeah.

For those who are wondering it would seem from my experience that lights do not get any tonnage weighting to match-score so not only do you have less armor, you have to outperform mechs with more weapons tonnage than you have tonnage in your entire mech.

Doable, but challenging. Just another day for light primary pilots, though. Posted Image

edit: Hellbringer, there is no seeding. PSR changes are based on matchscore. I can confirm that i'm blasting through T2 at a rate far faster than i've ever progressed in this game.

Edited by OneTeamPlayer, 03 July 2020 - 08:34 PM.

#4 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 04 July 2020 - 02:02 AM

View PostHellbringer, on 03 July 2020 - 08:26 PM, said:

are these seeding matches confirmed or not? some people say yes, other say no. It seems the inital matches are a lot faster and then now the PSR changes are slow as molasses. I got out of tier 3 in ~10-15 matches, but now the climb through tier 2 is slow and grindy.

You can read about the changes here https://mwomercs.com...27#entry6339427

In the middle it reads "There is no longer a PSR placement booster for new players/reset players that used to bump players in their first 10 matches."

I took 25 wins 15 losses to get out of T3 into T2. T2 to T1 took 85 matches however my WLR did drop from 1.6 thereabouts to 1.3.

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 03 July 2020 - 08:33 PM, said:

I've been pushing up towards T1 exclusively in a light and i have to say it's been a challenge but i must admit that it would be far easier in an assault, yeah.

For those who are wondering it would seem from my experience that lights do not get any tonnage weighting to match-score so not only do you have less armor, you have to outperform mechs with more weapons tonnage than you have tonnage in your entire mech.

Doable, but challenging. Just another day for light primary pilots, though. Posted Image

edit: Hellbringer, there is no seeding. PSR changes are based on matchscore. I can confirm that i'm blasting through T2 at a rate far faster than i've ever progressed in this game.

Great work man. Respect for trying to do it in a light. Let me know how many matches it takes for you to reach T1.

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 04 July 2020 - 02:04 AM.

#5 Jman5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 03:59 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 04 July 2020 - 02:02 AM, said:

Great work man. Respect for trying to do it in a light. Let me know how many matches it takes for you to reach T1.

72 games solo for me in a Firestarter if you're curious. I think you could shave 10 games off that if you played smarter than I did.

#6 RJF Volkodav

• 1,444 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:09 AM

Good light pilot will climb up without any problems. Lights can do enormous amount of MS with lower DMG values than assaults need to get those.

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 04 July 2020 - 04:11 AM.

#7 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:34 AM

View PostJman5, on 04 July 2020 - 03:59 AM, said:

72 games solo for me in a Firestarter if you're curious. I think you could shave 10 games off that if you played smarter than I did.

Looks par for the course for the top tier players. Thanks good to know.

View PostRJF Volkodav, on 04 July 2020 - 04:09 AM, said:

Good light pilot will climb up without any problems. Lights can do enormous amount of MS with lower DMG values than assaults need to get those.

How? 2xAMS+UAV?

#8 RJF Volkodav

• 1,444 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 04:57 AM

Just use MPLs, the less tonnage you have the more MS you get for your DMG output. At least its what you can see statistically.
You need 600-700 DMG with K9 to get 450-500MS, and around 1000 DMG for an 100t assult to have the same.
Off course lights do get various scouting etc rewards, but i assume MS calculations have some variables depending on mech tonnage.

Compare the MS output for the same DMG:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 04 July 2020 - 05:09 AM.

#9 V O L T R O N

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 318 posts
  • LocationThe Flat and Motionless Earth

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:05 AM

View PostJman5, on 04 July 2020 - 03:59 AM, said:

Yeah, mine was something like this, mostly solo in an Uziel...

#10 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:13 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 04 July 2020 - 04:34 AM, said:

How? 2xAMS+UAV?

I wouldn't say it's enormous amounts, but lights and mediums have access to a couple matchscore bonuses that assaults don't have. Maybe equal to about 50 damage if you play your cards right. The reason the screenshots above have such a big difference is probably down to the match length and kills. Kills even without solo kill bonuses reward more matchscore than assists. And the longer a match lasts the more repeatable bonuses you pick up. (formation, proximity, flank, hit and run, etc)

Edited by Jman5, 04 July 2020 - 05:16 AM.

#11 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:17 AM

View PostRJF Volkodav, on 04 July 2020 - 04:57 AM, said:

Just use MPLs, the less tonnage you have the more MS you get for your DMG output. At least its what you can see statistically.
You need 600-700 DMG with K9 to get 450-500MS, and around 1000 DMG for an 100t assult to have the same.
Off course lights do get various scouting etc rewards, but i assume MS calculations have some variables depending on mech tonnage.

Compare the MS output for the same DMG:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Hmm wouldn't the disparity be because of the 6 kills 6 assists vs the 2 kills 7 assists? I don't believe tonnages have weightage and I have many screenshots of 450 to 550 MS with 700 to 850 damage. However with only 1-3 kills. Not 6. I believe MS for damage is standard across the board, with killing blow having a bonus. Oh well maybe you are right I don't know lol :)

View PostJman5, on 04 July 2020 - 05:13 AM, said:

I wouldn't say it's enormous amounts, but lights and mediums have access to a couple matchscore bonuses that assaults don't have. Maybe equal to about 50 damage if you play your cards right. The reason the screenshots above have such a big difference is probably down to the match length and kills. Kills even without solo kill bonuses reward more matchscore than assists. And the longer a match lasts the more repeatable bonuses you pick up. (formation, proximity, flank, hit and run, etc)

Ah ok thanks.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:17 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 03 July 2020 - 08:15 PM, said:

1. Bring your heaviest because there is no tonnage matching. In 1 memorable match, I was placed with a top tier group and the team had 9 assaults vs 6 enemy assaults. We just face tanked and pushed in. Tonnages correlate to higher MS. Higher tonnages/armor means less risk to pilot regardless of skill level and potentially more damage dealt.

2. Bring the mech that you can deal the most damage in so that even in a losing match, you can still rank up. 400-600 damage should ensure either maintaining PSR or increasing PSR. It can happen but I've only seen once when a 600 damage performance led to a drop in PSR because the team was performing around the 400-500 mark as well. I just rotated the MCIIB & the ECM Bas since they were already set up prior to my retirement.

Frankly I'd say just bring your best damage dealer regardless how heavy it is. Meta heavy > F-tier assault.

View PostRJF Volkodav, on 04 July 2020 - 04:57 AM, said:

Off course lights do various scouting etc rewards, but i assume MS calculations have some variables depending on mech tonnage.

There are no tonnage-dependent variables as far as we know, but other than how Protected Light is weighted it might just be that lights simply score Hit & Run and Flanking more easily.

Edited by Horseman, 04 July 2020 - 05:17 AM.

#13 RJF Volkodav

• 1,444 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:21 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 July 2020 - 05:17 AM, said:

There are no tonnage-dependent variables as far as we know, but other than how Protected Light is weighted it might just be that lights simply score Hit & Run and Flanking more easily.

Might be. As i've wrote - light statistically get more MS with less dmg (not using any AMS and other usleless "support" Posted Image). That is from my expirience and it tends to be true for me. In fact - do someone have an official MS calculation formula? Might have a weight bonus too. Another fact i've noticed that even for a lights there are difference in AMS and DMG output. Do that count as rewards difference? Not sure.

Would probably do some stats later to check that carefully.

If we're speaking about rewards difference i would think more about components destroyed part as it's much easier for light to track down damaged mechs and take components out - that could be a breaker. When you play assault you usually try to kill the threat as fast as possible. When you're on a light you can go take some damaged parts and manuver away to save a mech or engage another one so light would probably have more of that components destroyed bonuses.

Edited by RJF Volkodav, 04 July 2020 - 05:33 AM.

#14 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:31 AM

retired player?

unofficial operator
why retired ??

#15 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:37 AM

View PostHorseman, on 04 July 2020 - 05:17 AM, said:

Frankly I'd say just bring your best damage dealer regardless how heavy it is. Meta heavy > F-tier assault.

I'll note that getting flanking shots on lights is leagues easier than on heavies, though not all lights are fast lights.

As for what RJF says, i'm not sure damage is weighted so much as that damage came from flanking shots, hit and runs, and other tiny bonus actions.

All I know is that since the queue is like this, I'm glad that it's not W/L (even though i prefer W/L) because despite taking some serious stomps, being top of the losing team seems to ensure PSR preservation even if it slows progress so i can count still count on my hands the number of losses with PSR loss (out of quite a few matches).

Unrelated, but i think there also should be a percentage based bonus for damage taken because i've seen some assaults and lights push their mech down to 20% and below while carrying the team on their back.

I'll also note that last iteration i spent most of my time in T2, but this system I've gone from 3 to half tier 2 in what would be an unspeakable amount of time previously on track to hit T1 today.

Given that i'm not a top tier pilot, this outcome is rather unexpected and might indicate problems with the formula.

#16 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 04 July 2020 - 05:48 PM

they need to add more tiers. its a wee bit too easy to hit tier 1.

#17 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:30 PM

View PostHellbringer, on 04 July 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

Even though the PSR range was changed from 3750 to 5000 max, so did the PSR values per match. Per PSR reset the highest value was only 5 pts, provided it was a win AND met/exceeded 401 MS. Whereas now, dependent on that combat drops MS range, top player on the winning team could see approximately 25pts or more, the lower everyones MS on both sides are to the top player, the higher in points said player is rewarded, provided the excel graphs provided is a close representation of what would happen in a match. So starting off from 2500, 500 pts to make tier 2 then another 1000pts to make Tier 1.

#18 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:49 PM

So does it scale ? Like if there are too many tier 1s then the next wave of players will need higher match scores to hit tier 1 ? Or is not capped ?

#19 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 04 July 2020 - 07:51 PM

View PostHellbringer, on 04 July 2020 - 06:49 PM, said:

So does it scale ? Like if there are too many tier 1s then the next wave of players will need higher match scores to hit tier 1 ? Or is not capped ?

It scales, biggest factors being the MS high/low range followed by if you were on the W or L side. From my understanding PGI is using version 2C of Jay Z. I have not seen anything PGI that it is capped.

https://mwomercs.com...ity-version-10/

From that post though, the biggest BS was the graphing showing a TON of Tier 5 players from the last two months, and likely included new players/accounts who had at least 1 drop, thus would not show up on the Leadership boards. Paul was like, oh wow.. / rolls eyes...

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 04 July 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#20 Jman5

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,914 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 03:36 AM

View PostHellbringer, on 04 July 2020 - 05:48 PM, said:

It's better to have a more responsive system than one that hardly moves at all. You're likely going to get some people seeding into tier 1 early while things are so in flux and then regress back out into tier 2 as more people sort out of tier 3.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users