Potato, First Class - Reporting For Duty.

40 replies to this topic

#1 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 06:21 PM

Finally made Tier 1! Some notes on my journey through the fields and over the fried and crispy tots of my enemies:
  • Tier 1 in 198 matches! Given that I posted T2 at 81 matches it was an extra 117 matches to break T1.
  • All matches were made solo in my favorite light, the Urbanmech- K9
  • I also made #1 Light on the leaderboard, which made my mom very proud.
  • 92W/ 106L puts me at an 0.87 W/L ratio, meaning I lost my way into Tier 1
  • I saw a lot of horrific stomps. Like, 12-0, average losing MS under 100 stomps.
  • I saw a few nailbiter matches that made MWO worth playing
  • A vast majority of the Losses ended up in a green arrow for me personally, in fact through these matches there were very, very few red arrows or = signs.
  • No difference in the players between any tiers, though that's to be expected for the next month, apparently.
  • Pursuing the objective on conquest often led to a personal loss in PSR (depending on map size) so i stopped trying. That's why your lights aren't capturing anymore.
  • People are *trying* to coordinate with voice comms, but so many players are at a level where they can't understand "Hold at base" or "Target Alpha" that most people stop trying.
  • There's a lot of anger being tossed about, largely because of strings of stomps in both directions.
  • Almost forgot that 2 tweaks to my setup improved my MS (and thus PSR gains) by a significant margin. Neither change had anything to do with personal skill, though, which is disappointing in terms of how the system works.
Final Thoughts are that while i'm obsessive enough to have pushed through this, i'm seeing quite a few unhappy people in queue and also watching cadets get absolutely stomped out.

I don't think your average player will put up with a month of this sort of gameplay, they'll just leave. To be perfectly honest, i'm planning to push out a few matches in T1 tomorrow then call it quit for a few weeks myself.

While the intention is good, i think this might be the bullet that collapses the playerbase to a death spiral, unfortunately enough.

Edited by OneTeamPlayer, 04 July 2020 - 06:26 PM.

#2 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:20 PM

Not to try disparage you but on Jarls you're 67%, your stats are roughly that of the average player and you have grinded your way to T1. How in a PSR system intended to properly balance out players among the tiers has the average player in the same bracket as the top tier players?

#3 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

View PostHawker Siddeley, on 04 July 2020 - 08:20 PM, said:

Not to try disparage you but on Jarls you're 67%, your stats are roughly that of the average player and you have grinded your way to T1. How in a PSR system intended to properly balance out players among the tiers has the average player in the same bracket as the top tier players?

I think you have answered your own question. This will not work and we don't have the population to make it work. Lets all just have as much fun as we can before they shut down anyway.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 04 July 2020 - 08:33 PM.

#4 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:34 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 04 July 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

we don't have the population to make it work.

This isn't an issue of population. If someone can grind up to tier 1 then this entire thing was pointless, the main complaint before was that PSR was just an xp bar.

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:41 PM

View PostHawker Siddeley, on 04 July 2020 - 08:34 PM, said:

This isn't an issue of population. If someone can grind up to tier 1 then this entire thing was pointless, the main complaint before was that PSR was just an xp bar.

Sure it is. They set the tier bar lower because of the population.Tier 1 is your above average players now.Before the reset the stats showed most people were tier 5. Even with the bar set low now(and before) they can't make a match without adding tier3 people.

The system will never work. Just keep playing we will be lucky to be playing this time next year.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 04 July 2020 - 08:44 PM.

#6 My Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Major General
  • Major General
  • 475 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:50 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 04 July 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

Tier 1 is your above average players now.

No its not, if this average player can grind his way up into T1 then it why can't the rest of them?

View PostMonkey Lover, on 04 July 2020 - 08:41 PM, said:

Even with the bar set low now(and before) they can't make a match without adding tier3 people.

True, however with a PSR reset ideally you will be filling in a T1 match with more higher skilled players as opposed to the grab bag that it was before.

#7 MrMadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 08:57 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 04 July 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

Finally made Tier 1! Some notes on my journey through the fields and over the fried and crispy tots of my enemies:

Too hard. Yesterday I saw a group of 4 players, who were abusing LRM to inflate their damage, MS and therefore PSR. As I expected. They used one player as scout and just rained something like 100 Clan LRMs each on us. No AMS could protect me from such rain. As a result - fast stomp.

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:05 PM

I played with this potato a few times today, good games!

#9 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,966 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:08 PM

View PostHawker Siddeley, on 04 July 2020 - 08:20 PM, said:

lol tier shaming

even if you make it to the top of the light Mech leader board
make it to tier 1 in the first week you still dont deserve to be in tier 1

quick lets come up with another idea to keep the chitters out of T1 lol

#10 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:10 PM

View PostHawker Siddeley, on 04 July 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

No its not, if this average player can grind his way up into T1 then it why can't the rest of them?

True, however with a PSR reset ideally you will be filling in a T1 match with more higher skilled players as opposed to the grab bag that it was before.

Posted Image

For some reason they think it was a good idea to reset the tier5 guys into 3. That allowed your average players grind up faster. They all must be loving having to die to get back to tier5. Im guessing most will quit before that.

You can only hope when the average gets real tier1players to fight he would drop back down to tier2 but we will see. I personally don't think there are many good players left to even push them(us?) down a tier.

Tonight I played in 4 man we were only in one tier1 match were i would guess most people were tier1 players. My understanding teams are placed in tier1 so its not great for that is for sure... I guess we will wait and see.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 04 July 2020 - 09:30 PM.

#11 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:32 PM

View PostHawker Siddeley, on 04 July 2020 - 08:50 PM, said:

There's nothing protecting the glorious Tier 1, soon it will be a field of potatoes and we will all be french fried. If you allow one spud into the club soon everyone will be doing the mashed potato instead of the twist!

View PostMrMadguy, on 04 July 2020 - 08:57 PM, said:

Too hard. Yesterday I saw a group of 4 players, who were abusing LRM to inflate their damage, MS and therefore PSR. As I expected. They used one player as scout and just rained something like 100 Clan LRMs each on us. No AMS could protect me from such rain. As a result - fast stomp.

The 4 guys using Nova Cats, right? I saw them on my team once or twice, which was lucky because they made that UAV slot truly worthwhile. Glorious UAV Locked Damage bonuses raining from the heavens. Related, but has anyone noticed a marked decrease in the number of LRMs? Some matches i swear there was barely LRM 20.

View PostNightbird, on 04 July 2020 - 09:05 PM, said:

I played with this potato a few times today, good games!

I had fun! I also got stomped by your team. All in all it was a confusing experience, but i've decided that you only hit me because you love me.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 04 July 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

You can only hope when the average gets real tier1players to fight he would drop back down to tier2 but we will see. I personally don't think there are many good players left to even fill out the teams anymore.

Tonight I played in 4 man we were only in one tier1 match I would say. My understanding teams are placed in tier1 so... I guess we will wait and see.

I would hope that i get dropped down to Tier 6, leaving the real Tier One Operators (you know, the groups in solo queue) to have their own sandbox free of people who do stupid things like play solo in lights all weekend.

My very presence is an affront to the honor and dignity of mechwarriors everywhere and to be honest, i'm personally offended at my own success in this area.

I can only hope that PGI rewrites the whole PSR system taking into account what i am now referring to as the OneTeamPotato constant as it's the only way to stave off the dark fate that awaits us all.

#12 Therax

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 116 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:37 PM

OneTeamPlayer has an average match score of 314 on the leaderboard for this current season as of this post. I do not see their being placed into tier 1 with that average match score as indicating a problem with the new matchmaking system. While it is higher than their past seasonal average match scores, this sudden improvement in match score could be due to improved play, using a fully leveled mech, or even just playing a meta build.

To OneTeamPlayer, congratulations on your achievement.

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:52 PM

You could get into t1 with a lower than 1 w/l ratio if the matchmaker was so bad, that it consistently placed you on the team with the worst players. As long as your match score is high even on a loss, that would not count negatively against your rating. Assuming that match score is a good metric for skill, the system works.

I played a game in my Flea this evening, but we won 12-6 and I have a policy of not playing morre matches in an evening after a win like that, because it indicates that the MM is having a bad time balancing teams. I certainly saw some poor play on both sides, nobody kniws how to move into position when the match starts.

#14 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 July 2020 - 09:55 PM

View PostTherax, on 04 July 2020 - 09:37 PM, said:

OneTeamPlayer has an average match score of 314 on the leaderboard for this current season as of this post. I do not see their being placed into tier 1 with that average match score as indicating a problem with the new matchmaking system. While it is higher than their past seasonal average match scores, this sudden improvement in match score could be due to improved play, using a fully leveled mech, or even just playing a meta build.

To OneTeamPlayer, congratulations on your achievement.

So right now OneTeamPlayer is 870's out of 7343.

so 88% percentile would put him into tier1 but looking at his season before he is way above. Looking at my own season im way above what i should be too. All i can think of is they screwed up big time resetting the lower level people.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 04 July 2020 - 09:56 PM.

#15 UnofficialOperator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

Losing your way into T1 Posted Image Very nice, not being sarcastic. I wanted to try that myself but didn't manage to.

Grats on the grind man.

Edit: Seems like PSR is still all about Damage eh?

Edited by UnofficialOperator, 04 July 2020 - 10:19 PM.

#16 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:21 PM

I liek this, their was the Land of Tier 5's where never a T1 was seen.
A safeish place
Brown as far as the eye could see.

View PostMonkey Lover, on 04 July 2020 - 09:10 PM, said:

Posted Image

Well that place is gone now

Not sure if it could be slowly and painfully rebuilt as people drop PSR slowly and painfully and find their true place.

Not that it matters since T1 can meet cadets with this new group MM

All to appease I wanna play wid moi friends bunch.

Throw baby wid bath water.

#17 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 04 July 2020 - 10:22 PM

View PostOneTeamPlayer, on 04 July 2020 - 06:21 PM, said:

• I saw a lot of horrific stomps. Like, 12-0, average losing MS under 100 stomps.
  • People are *trying* to coordinate with voice comms, but so many players are at a level where they can't understand "Hold at base" or "Target Alpha" that most people stop trying.
  • There's a lot of anger being tossed about, largely because of strings of stomps in both directions.
Having absolute potatos on voice comms trying to 'call' is a factor is both points 1 and 3 from above.

For example- I was just on the wrong side of a 12-0. Our side was known potatoes and averages. The other team had a 4 man group at max tonnage with multiple players carrying "WC 20XX" tags. We had two vocal potatoes arguing over which tactic was the best way to die quickest, which added absolutely nothing of value.

What I would love to see is a keyboard shortcut for "mute player currently talking" so you can get rid of the distraction when you're trying to become a not potato. It's still possible to go up in PSR on the wrong side of a 12-0.

#18 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 05 July 2020 - 12:24 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 July 2020 - 09:52 PM, said:

You could get into t1 with a lower than 1 w/l ratio if the matchmaker was so bad, that it consistently placed you on the team with the worst players. As long as your match score is high even on a loss, that would not count negatively against your rating. Assuming that match score is a good metric for skill, the system works.

This was always the problem, matchscore can be easily cheesed and using it as the primary contributor to PSR drift is inherently broken in a team based game.

But alas, cry-hards see tier as an extension for their ePeens and wanted participation trophies on a loss.

#19 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 05 July 2020 - 04:14 AM

View PostUnofficialOperator, on 04 July 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

Edit: Seems like PSR is still all about Damage eh?

Sadly, and the only way to fix that properly is to Boost/Buff all the Non-Damage & Non-Combat actions. Trying to go Nerf anything that is already on the upside would be the wrong way to go about fixing it. It's best to use honey instead of vinegar, and recognize those playstyles that are not so Damage-oriented, particularly all the ones of the Support/Scout varieties. :(

~D. V. "Match Scoring needs a real table flip, not just a small one." Devnull

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 06:14 AM

Well not really potato your average MS rank is 893 out of 7603 players in current leaderboard, so tier1 eez.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users