Resolute Sale: Kodiak Sb Or Highlander Iic Kp?

BattleMechs

5 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 05 July 2020 - 07:55 PM

I'm thinking of buying one of these 'Mechs and outfitting it as a close range brawler for a bit of fun, instead of EZ-moding my way up to T1 in my Flea and Grinner. The Kodiak would be running 4 x ASRM6 and 1 x LB 20-X, and the Highlander would be running the same build with an extra LB 20-X. Here's the comparison as I see it:

'Mech size: Both 'Mechs are large, but the Highlander IIC appears to have packed on the pounds a little more than the Kodiak, so the Kodiak wins here by a hair.

Hardpoint placement: The hardpoints are all over the place on the Highlander, literally - they are shared across both arms and side torsos, and split by type as well. Kodiak wins again with its shield arms and packed in, high mounted weapons.

Hardpoint count: Highlander is the obvious winner with the extra ballistic slot.

Agility: The Kodiak equips a Masc IV allowing it to sprint up to about 80kph and torso twist in a brawl like a boss, however the Highlander is able to equip jump jets allowing it to reposition and hop over small obstacles, and to use its legs at point blank range as a shield. I'm not sure which the better choice is here.

What do you guys think, which is the better 'Mech in your opinion?

Edited by RickySpanish, 05 July 2020 - 07:56 PM.

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:06 PM

Neither.

SB has horrible torso twist and pitch, meaning someone slightly below you cannot be hit and you can't protect your STs with your arms.

Keeper is limited to 325 engine, can't brawl what you can't catch.

#3 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 08:32 PM

Oh shoot, I thought it was just the 3 with the horrid torso range nerf, thanks for the warning. Maybe leaning to the Highlander then, it's slow but I don't really have an issue plodding around.

#4 CFC Conky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

I have them both.

Sadly, they are both meh...

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#5 Vindicated

• PipPipPip
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • Sho-sa-ni
  • 59 posts

Posted 05 July 2020 - 10:19 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 05 July 2020 - 08:32 PM, said:

Oh shoot, I thought it was just the 3 with the horrid torso range nerf, thanks for the warning. Maybe leaning to the Highlander then, it's slow but I don't really have an issue plodding around.

Do you happen to have a cyclops slepnir? If you don't mind slow, that's a solid mech with LBX and the first assault hero that pops to my mind to buy

#6 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 06 July 2020 - 06:07 AM

View PostVindicated, on 05 July 2020 - 10:19 PM, said:

Do you happen to have a cyclops slepnir? If you don't mind slow, that's a solid mech with LBX and the first assault hero that pops to my mind to buy

I certainly do, it's my favourite Assault 'Mech.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users