Guide

8 replies to this topic

#1 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 06:58 AM

Advanced Zoom has uses in niche extreme long-range builds but is in general a bad idea. It reduces your situational awareness, reduces your accuracy as the zoom window itself is weird and finicky, and causes you to invest in several nodes which could be spent on almost literally any other tree save jump jets to greater effect.

This goes double for those of you using advanced zoom in brawlers or skirmishers. This is completely unnecessary and actively harms your gameplay. I guarantee you would do better without it. Mechs are very large and with a little bit of active practice you can hit shots at even very long ranges without the use of advanced zoom.

#2 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:16 AM

That is correct. I have Advanced Zoom in my Faction Play ERLL dropdecks, but those mechs have too long range for Quick Play. I don't think I have it on any Quick Play builds.

#3 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:18 AM

View PostGagis, on 08 July 2020 - 07:16 AM, said:

That is correct. I have Advanced Zoom in my Faction Play ERLL dropdecks, but those mechs have too long range for Quick Play. I don't think I have it on any Quick Play builds.

hard agree. I think FP ERLL builds (or ones built for something like Polar specifically) are really the only builds advanced zoom works on. Leading mechs with PPCs or gauss is v. difficult because of the advanced zoom aim wonkiness.

#4 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:19 AM

Umm ... kinda natural folks don't use advanced zoom in brawl situations (even though you see a lot of people using standard zoom steps in brawl way too often - making me sea-sick when in spectator).

On certain maps being able to use advanced zoom early on is amazing, in faction play it can be mandatory even. So I can not agree on your general refusal of advanced zoom. Those 2-4 skillpoints generally don't hurt anyone.

#5 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:28 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 08 July 2020 - 07:19 AM, said:

Umm ... kinda natural folks don't use advanced zoom in brawl situations (even though you see a lot of people using standard zoom steps in brawl way too often - making me sea-sick when in spectator).

On certain maps being able to use advanced zoom early on is amazing, in faction play it can be mandatory even. So I can not agree on your general refusal of advanced zoom. Those 2-4 skillpoints generally don't hurt anyone.

Plenty of newer or lower-tier players use advanced zoom in brawl situations. I see it every few games or so. They have to actively be told not to use it.

"Certain maps early on" and "faction play" are basically the same thing as "niche situations." The latter is a specific situation you can build for. The former can easily be accomplished with standard zoom. And those 2-4 skill points could be spent getting you more consumables, or squeezing a little more heat management out of your mech, or a number of other different options which are *always* useful.

#6 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 423 posts

Posted 08 July 2020 - 07:46 AM

Good then, so newer / lower tier players be adviced not to use advanced zooms in brawl situations etc.! Certainly a good hint, since steady aiming in AdZoMo can certainly be a pain in the buttock!

Still don't see much harm done in spending 4 skillpoints on a mech-chassis that can be used with different setups and if someone decides to support his eye-sight to spot / aim for enemies over long distances. But be that as it may, I assume ye know what ye're talking about.

#7 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 01:31 PM

I always assume those players simply have smaller monitors.
But I've also never seen anyone running around with it on... just clicked into during the same situation you'd use a gun's scope.

I use it regularly with some long range weapons, but never when FOV would be an issue.

#8 Mechwarrior 37

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:09 AM

I simply do not see well enough not to use it from time to time.

#9 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 01:41 AM

I tried Advanced Zoom recently, and you're right about the aiming part. It does not ecxactly help me hit better. But it helps me see better! The red rectangles let you aim just fine, but they never tell you, whether your enemy is behind an obstacle or not. And some maps are just full of obstacles and visual noise. That's where advanced zoom comes is handy: to see that other guy peek from his cover.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users