16 replies to this topic

#1 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 July 2020 - 11:43 PM

I'm trying to understand the idea of putting the tier 5 guys into tier 3?

I think can all agree the tier system was putting people higher then they should have been. To get into a lower tier that means you should really be in a lower tier.

Only thing I can think of at this point to help is to turn on the 10 game psr booster system to move people faster

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 July 2020 - 03:38 PM.

#2 Brizna

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1,360 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:18 AM

It's a must for the new PSR system to work. In theory once everyone has gone to its natural tier we'll see improved matches, but yeah while we are at it it sucks.

#3 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:28 AM

View PostBrizna, on 11 July 2020 - 02:18 AM, said:

It's a must for the new PSR system to work. In theory once everyone has gone to its natural tier we'll see improved matches, but yeah while we are at it it sucks.

It isn't a big deal for me to move from tier3 to 1. Whats a big deal is going tier 3 to 5 over a month or more. How many people are willing to get smashed hundreds of games? You have to really love this game to stick around.

PSR placement booster needs to be turned on.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 11 July 2020 - 02:29 AM.

#4 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:56 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 11 July 2020 - 02:28 AM, said:

It isn't a big deal for me to move from tier3 to 1. Whats a big deal is going tier 3 to 5 over a month or more. How many people are willing to get smashed hundreds of games? You have to really love this game to stick around.

PSR placement booster needs to be turned on.

Going both directions. Call it a PSR amplifier. With everyone starting in Tier 3, there are just as many people that need to be moving down as moving up.

#5 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:59 AM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 11 July 2020 - 02:28 AM, said:

How many people are willing to get smashed hundreds of games? You have to really love this game to stick around.

If a T5 is still here after all these years, he's no doubt been smashed for thousands of games and yet still loves it enough to stick around.

#6 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 06:42 AM

That’s exactly my thoughts. All these tier 4 and 5 guys are not going to stick around. You need to get utterly destroyed like 30-40 games before you move down to tier 4. By that time how many of these guys will stay ? Also moving down is disheartening and will erode the player base. At least if you start from tier 5 you got nowhere to go but up.

I figure most of the casuals will stay in tier 3 (due to boredom or luck or being carried by a few good players) and thus defeating the purpose of this whole psr change. It’s not going to be an accurate reflection as tier 1s will still get mixed in with these tier 3 guys who in reality should be tier 4 or 5.

#7 Maxim Pax

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque

Posted 11 July 2020 - 07:58 AM

I am a new player that only started playing this game in May. A co-worker got me and a few others from work to play. As a new player, it doesn't make sense to be started anywhere other than Tier 5.

I am not good with a mouse and I'm new to everything, but stubbornly played through the 160 games it took to move from Tier 3 back to Tier 4. It was very much not a fun experience. None of my friends who started with me put up with the instant death and verbal anger from teammates about them not having a clue what they were doing to make it out of that tier. They have all given up this game for now.

#8 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 08:11 AM

View PostMaxim Pax, on 11 July 2020 - 07:58 AM, said:

I am a new player that only started playing this game in May. A co-worker got me and a few others from work to play. As a new player, it doesn't make sense to be started anywhere other than Tier 5.

I am not good with a mouse and I'm new to everything, but stubbornly played through the 160 games it took to move from Tier 3 back to Tier 4. It was very much not a fun experience. None of my friends who started with me put up with the instant death and verbal anger from teammates about them not having a clue what they were doing to make it out of that tier. They have all given up this game for now.

Oof, sorry to hear that. We might have been better off making everyone start at T5 and give big PSR boosts for high-end matchscores. That way the elites could climb out quickly and leave T4 and T5 as they should be. Right now everyone is exposed to T1 killers until they can lose enough to drop down.

Frankly, it's a little disheartening even for me right now. I can handle one or two good pilots on the enemy team, but there are so many elite T1 groups dropping right now that games are a total crapshoot. If four grouped comp players drop on the other team, you can kiss your a** goodbye unless you've got something equivalent on your side.

#9 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:03 AM

View PostKubernetes, on 11 July 2020 - 08:11 AM, said:

Oof, sorry to hear that. We might have been better off making everyone start at T5 and give big PSR boosts for high-end matchscores. That way the elites could climb out quickly and leave T4 and T5 as they should be. Right now everyone is exposed to T1 killers until they can lose enough to drop down.

You also have to wait for the good players to move up. I'm in T4 now and I keep dropping against the same efficient killers who haven't moved to T1 yet where in theory they should no longer appear in my matches unless the valves open up.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 11 July 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#10 Vorpal Bunny Rabbit

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:22 AM

Ya, my Tier 5 friend gave up after a couple days of the reset. Said he'd check back in a month if the game's still around.

#11 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:55 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 11 July 2020 - 10:03 AM, said:

You also have to wait for the good players to move up. I'm in T4 now and I keep dropping against the same efficient killers who haven't moved to T1 yet where in theory they should no longer appear in my matches unless the valves open up.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

PSR gains should be scaled early on so that if some killer is putting out 500 MS games he should catapult to T1 very quickly.

Edited by Kubernetes, 11 July 2020 - 10:55 AM.

#12 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:29 AM

I think the idea was to put the moderately skilled players with T5 alt accounts into a higher tier, then let the tiers sort themselves by actual skill. Maybe once that happens, those players won't need alt accounts to get out of the previously stompy T1 play.

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 11 July 2020 - 02:29 PM

"We're going to punch you in the face repeatedly, but don't worry, eventually we'll stop and then you can enjoy yourselves. Trust me."

#14 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 03:51 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 July 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

"We're going to punch you in the face repeatedly, but don't worry, eventually we'll stop and then you can enjoy yourselves. Trust me."

- the elite community that proposed the changes

#15 Hellbringer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Point Commander
  • 177 posts
  • LocationVancouver BC

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:07 PM

As far as I see this new system serves neither the tier ones or the tier 5s. Tier 3s who should be 5s are still mixing in tier 1 games and vice versa.

This would have been a lot better if you guys started at tier 5 and just let smoes work their way up. Tier 1 hardcore would have gradually climb up there and tier 5-4 would be better represented with their respective numbers.

Edited by Hellbringer, 11 July 2020 - 04:08 PM.

#16 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 11 July 2020 - 05:12 PM

Five years ago, tiers were marketed as progression paths. Since they're now intended to purely represent player rating, public display should probably end. We lived with it prior to 2015, and if someone wants to guess, leaderboards and Jarl's should give them an inkling. Easy on the eyes, easy on the...

#17 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 July 2020 - 01:07 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 11 July 2020 - 02:29 PM, said:

Seems the shoe is now on the other foot now the MM has been tightened:

"You're going to have a long wait for matches, but don't worry, eventually more players will reach T1. Trust me."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users