Please Allow Players To Hide Psr Change

7 replies to this topic

#1 Valdanos

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:09 AM

I honestly don't care about my PSR; I'm here to have fun playing stompy robots. And I'm grateful that we have the option to hide our tier rating in the home screen. But please let us also hide the player rating change at the end of each match. I really don't need some half-baked algorithm telling me each and every game how well/poorly I did. I'm a big boy, I can make those decisions for myself.

And if you're at all curious about why I consider it half-baked, it punishes players who fall victim to very common situations that are entirely out of their control; such as assaults being left behind by the rest of their team and picked off by lights, or games that are such a quick stomp hardly anybody gets enough damage in to even get a yellow equal sign. It also rewards people for just dealing large amounts of damage and not actually getting anywhere with it.

#2 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:42 AM

I don't think I like the PSR change. I suck. But I try to play well. So, I'm back down in tier 5 with no hope of getting on teams with people who try to play as a unit. I wish there was a way to pay to play with people who want to play well, even if they suck like me.

You're right. This game is as frustrating as anything else. I'm not sure I enjoy playing. I keep hammering away, but I think it's kind of pointless. Maybe if you're truly a good player, then this game can be fun. How can we make it fun for those who suck?

Edited by SharDar, 11 July 2020 - 10:46 AM.

#3 XXXAngry AngelXXX

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:14 PM

View PostValdanos, on 11 July 2020 - 10:09 AM, said:

I really don't need some half-baked algorithm telling me each and every game how well/poorly I did. I'm a big boy, I can make those decisions for myself.

And if you're at all curious about why I consider it half-baked, it punishes players who fall victim to very common situations that are entirely out of their control; such as assaults being left behind by the rest of their team and picked off by lights, or games that are such a quick stomp hardly anybody gets enough damage in to even get a yellow equal sign. It also rewards people for just dealing large amounts of damage and not actually getting anywhere with it.

Oh man...this

This this this this x1000 THIS

Damage does not make the quality of play. Any fool can sit behind a hill and fire lrms all day. The algorithm doesnt take into account proper roles for a mech, nor spreading of damage or a thousand other things that make a good play from a bad one. Not even sure how it could do that as an algorithm but basing it purely on damage is NOT helpful to the community as a whole as it gives something to strive for that is often times exactly counter to proper team play.

#4 ProbablyTheLongestNameInThisGame

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:34 AM

View PostXXXAngry AngelXXX, on 11 July 2020 - 04:14 PM, said:

Any fool can sit behind a hill and fire lrms all day.

Nope. You can't just sit and throw lrms. You should really play as LRM-boat once.

There's much more factors affecting the endscore, not only dmg. There is a wild range of team actions, like capping, assisting, covering, tagging, and so on.

#5 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 04:44 AM

View PostSharDar, on 11 July 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

I don't think I like the PSR change. I suck. But I try to play well. So, I'm back down in tier 5 with no hope of getting on teams with people who try to play as a unit. I wish there was a way to pay to play with people who want to play well, even if they suck like me.

You're right. This game is as frustrating as anything else. I'm not sure I enjoy playing. I keep hammering away, but I think it's kind of pointless. Maybe if you're truly a good player, then this game can be fun. How can we make it fun for those who suck?

Sounds like the PSR changes are taking effect & you have found the tier you belong in & I mean absolutely zero offence in that statement.
PGI's intentions were for the players to be put into tiers that they actually belong in in order to stop T5 dropping with T1, this was caused by the old PSR system being an XP bar & allowing people to grind their way into T1 just by playing lots of matches, this caused terrible matches due to the skill disparity between players in the same tier.

Should we let people that have a sport as a hobby compete with people that play it at top level every day? Most sensible people would say no to this so why should we do it in MWO? This is what was happening with the old PSR system.

I am sorry that you don't get to play with the top performing players but think of them & their experiences in game as well as your own, they deserve decently balanced matches just as much as anyone else. If anyone wants to learn from them maybe try to get in touch with them & ask if they would be willing to help, most I'm sure will at least answer you. There are still some active units left as well that will also help new players & may even let you join.
There are also the Private Lobby's where you can invite another 23 people & do whatever you want on any of the QP maps(& Solaris maps if 4 players or less). This is free for anyone to use at any time.

#6 Valdanos

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 08:30 AM

View PostProbablyTheLongestNameInThisGame, on 12 July 2020 - 02:34 AM, said:

Nope. You can't just sit and throw lrms. You should really play as LRM-boat once.

There's much more factors affecting the endscore, not only dmg. There is a wild range of team actions, like capping, assisting, covering, tagging, and so on.

I'm not sure what kind of luck you've had, but I have played a few matches now where we won via objectives and everybody or nearly everybody's score went down because not much damage was thrown around. Hell, I just got out of a Domination match where because we had no lights we didn't get into the circle until the enemies had 4 seconds left to win. So I went and took out both of their bases to increase their time. We ended up winning in a very close game but because I sacrificed some damage to play the objective I only got an equal PSR change.

Edit: And in response to your first point, I have had the most success increasing my PSR each match when I play an LRM boat (though admittedly I get my own targets when I can) for raw unfocused damage, or as a triple L-AMS kitfox during games where I can pad my match score by simply gobbling up hundreds and hundreds of missiles.

Edited by Valdanos, 12 July 2020 - 08:35 AM.

#7 Uakari

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 05:22 AM

View PostXXXAngry AngelXXX, on 11 July 2020 - 04:14 PM, said:

Oh man...this

This this this this x1000 THIS

Damage does not make the quality of play. Any fool can sit behind a hill and fire lrms all day. The algorithm doesnt take into account proper roles for a mech, nor spreading of damage or a thousand other things that make a good play from a bad one. Not even sure how it could do that as an algorithm but basing it purely on damage is NOT helpful to the community as a whole as it gives something to strive for that is often times exactly counter to proper team play.

Yes, it would be great if for example things like dmg taken depending on tonnage would be taken into account, so you move up in PSR if you were able to use your armor.
But still, i feel if you do ok in a match you move up. Without trying to brag I move up 80 % of the matches, also in the lost ones. There are so many noobies around at the moment, and if you get out a couple of good shots out, shield a bit to stay alive or just dont march to your certain doom with bad postitioning, you ll get top scores of your team easily.

With the actual PSR system, if you move down you seem to deserve it.

#8 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 10:36 PM

View PostSharDar, on 11 July 2020 - 10:42 AM, said:

I've had some pretty bad games, but I don't really know how someone can get to tier 5 without trying to. I'm not trying to offend when I say this, but getting to T5 is actually kind of hard. Takes a LOT of matches to do so. When you're new, it'll happen just getting the exp for skill points, but even then, to get some effectiveness it's not enough to drop you to T5. If you're having problems piloting or knowing where to go, first and foremost, watch the team. However, making use of the testing grounds to get the layout of the maps and practicing jump turning, pop up shooting (not advised unless you're really good at it because you're a sitting duck up there), and just in general learning how well your mech moves in turns and torso limits.

The only reasons I can come up with are:

1. Not using mouse and keyboard over gamepad or joystick.

And/Or

2. Really bad Frames Per Second or really high ping.

Both of those will get you killed in no time. If you don't know about your FPS, pressing F9 will put your ping, coordinates, and FPS in the upper left on your screen. If you're dropping below 50fps, then what you're shooting might not really be there. Lowering your graphic settings is good fix. If that doesn't work, there are threads in these forums to deal with gpu issues with some work arounds that may or may not help.

I know remapping some of the keys helps, or helped me anyway.

Another thing to look at is your mouse sensitivity setting if you're playing with arm lock off. I usually keep it on as a standard, but mapped the unlock key at easy access.

To reply to the actual thread, yes, you should be able to turn off your PSR rating in the end of match screen.

Last Tips:
This game is a lot like driving a car, your minimap takes the place of your mirrors. It's easy to forget to check, but it'll save you in a fire fight letting you know if you're being left behind or flanked.

Also, fire, torso twist (don't look up), re-aim and firing when weapons are ready again.

Edited by Ghoja, 30 August 2020 - 10:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users