Change Skill Points?

5 replies to this topic

#1 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 10:51 AM

I don't like the current skill point system. A mech is completely useless until you have added "skills". So, I get a new mech and I have to lose a lot of games to get it up to par or pay money to do so. Since you don't get many skill points for losing and not doing much damage, this REALLY takes a long time. I guess I could pay for skill points, but then they're really not skill points.

This also makes trial mechs completely terrible. You try one and get your butt kicked because it has no skills, so you have no reason to want to buy it. If you want people to find out what a mech is really about, you need to give them some skill points to go with it.

Edited by SharDar, 11 July 2020 - 10:59 AM.

#2 XXXAngry AngelXXX

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 11:31 AM

I concur...

I'll take it even further: I *could* understand perhaps a slight increase in say...projectile spread for mg's and uac's and rac's as a skill point for your pilot to indicate better skill in a mech. But heat dissipation is a product of weapon, engine, and heat sinks. What in gods name does the pilot have to do with how fast a heat sink transfers thermal energy?

P.S. That was one o'them rhetorical questions....

#3 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

You earn GXP that can be used on any mech in every match you play. I save it & then use it for a few high priority skills such as(for me) the 1st radar deprivation node on the new mechs I buy.
PGI are also very, very liberal with GXP, GSP & MC in every event so there are plenty of ways to get them for free.
(Pro tip)If your heat build up is so bad that your build needs skill points for it to work then your build is not a good one I'm afraid. Try to look at such things as extras instead of essential when it comes to builds & skills.
It's also way easier, faster & cheaper to skill mechs nowadays. We used to have to skill up three!! mechs of the same chassis in order to master jsust the one mech.

#4 XXXAngry AngelXXX

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 July 2020 - 04:08 PM

Heat is a resource to use just like tonnage or slots, and i wasnt arguing for or against more or less heat, i was stating that nothing a PILOT does will affect any heat-sink technology. It transfers heat at a certain rate and thats the end of it...unless you are suggesting that by squeezing the trigger a different way will make the large laser get less hot...or that myomer muscles will suddenly work better climbing a hill for you than for me just because you know more about the chemical makeup of myomer...yea not so much.

#5 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 07:36 AM

View PostXXXAngry AngelXXX, on 11 July 2020 - 04:08 PM, said:

Heat is a resource to use just like tonnage or slots, and i wasnt arguing for or against more or less heat, i was stating that nothing a PILOT does will affect any heat-sink technology. It transfers heat at a certain rate and thats the end of it...unless you are suggesting that by squeezing the trigger a different way will make the large laser get less hot...or that myomer muscles will suddenly work better climbing a hill for you than for me just because you know more about the chemical makeup of myomer...yea not so much.

Hate to tell you this but it's not real or based on reality. I don't think I said you were asking for heat changes, nope, I said that if your build is too hot without skills then it's not a good build.
The same can be said about many of the skills(& in many games) we have on offer. The skill tree was implemented as it was asked for & they used pretty much the same skills they had when modules were a thing & we had to grind 3 mechs just to master 1 in each chassis. It gives players choice in how they go about it & for the most part works well, oh it also costs way less as you don't have to buy & fit 3 mechs.
Yes it can be tough with a new mech, I have provided ways around this that costs no real money. Maybe it's because of living with disability's but a new, unskilled mech is something I enjoy, It's a good thing to overcome difficult situations every now & again to prove to myself that I'm still able to & to feed my brain something nice to chew on.

#6 SharDar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 148 posts

Posted 13 July 2020 - 12:02 PM

I screwed up and wrote "skill points" when I should have said "experience points". I got confused because it is called a "skill tree".

You're right that if my build is terrible with no skills added, it's probably a bad build. I didn't think of it that way. But I think the point may still stand for trial mechs. If we could have 20 points or so to tweak it a little, that would help me know whether I like the mech or not.

I like what you said about looking at it as a challenge! This is a difficult game with a steep learning curve. I think that the people who stick around are the people who like the challenge. Otherwise, pick a standard run-and-run game to play.

Good thoughts!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users