Broken Matchmaking V2

18 replies to this topic

#1 ProbablyTheLongestNameInThisGame

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 02:23 AM

After that marvelous PSR matchmaking broke.
7 assaults in one team vs 0 in the other? It's okay now! Totally imbalanced tonnage.

Hey PGI it's not fun to play at all! Fix that please!

#2 TheRealTommo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 145 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 12 July 2020 - 11:12 PM

Yeah the balance is all completely wrong. Never been stomped this much in all the years I've been playing. Needs fixing ASAP!

#3 Tr3k

Rookie

• Hero of Jade Falcon
  • Hero of Jade Falcon
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

è evidente che vogliono chiudere sti figli di *******

#4 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:41 AM

View PostProbablyTheLongestNameInThisGame, on 12 July 2020 - 02:23 AM, said:

After that marvelous PSR matchmaking broke.
7 assaults in one team vs 0 in the other? It's okay now! Totally imbalanced tonnage.

Hey PGI it's not fun to play at all! Fix that please!

PSR has ZERO influence on the various weights of each mech selected for any match!! Please understand this.
The reason you are seeing this is because of the group & PUG ques being merged.
I'm not saying that the merging didn't cause problems but you are directing your frustration at the wrong Boggie Man.

#5 Amerith

Rookie

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 31 August 2020 - 12:41 AM, said:

PSR has ZERO influence on the various weights of each mech selected for any match!! Please understand this.
The reason you are seeing this is because of the group & PUG ques being merged.
I'm not saying that the merging didn't cause problems but you are directing your frustration at the wrong Boggie Man.

Actually according to Paul in another thread concerning PSR changes tonnage is a factor, just lower down in the matrix than your Tier lvl and I think another point of issue. However, I agree that the merger is the big issue concerning the differences in the weight differences between teams.

#6 Lucifaust

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 116 posts
  • LocationWA

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

I have been playing mwo for around 6 years.

I am a good player.

I consistently get multiple kills.

Yet I get stuck with awful teams? Is this how balance is supposed to work because every day now I go on losing streaks for sometimes 10 games or more. I am fitting to leave this game.

No matter how well I play, my team is undeniably the first to die. This matchmaker is so broken.

#7 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:46 AM

View PostLucifaust, on 05 September 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

I am a good player.

Yet I get stuck with awful teams? Is this how balance is supposed to work because every day now I go on losing streaks for sometimes 10 games or more. I am fitting to leave this game.

No matter how well I play, my team is undeniably the first to die. This matchmaker is so broken.

Russ Bullock and Paul Inouye are okay with it.

But if you wish, you can give them some cash to show how you appreciate their hard work.

#8 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 12:35 AM

I am a good player.

Player population must be low, as the Tier valves are opening a lot.
This allows T1 to match up with cadets
I had a game like this today NA prime time

The merge was supposed to increase player numbers
Wasn't it?

#9 Der BierVampiR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 432 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 12 September 2020 - 11:52 PM

This is way off base - the matchmaker can only work with the player base. I am glad i am getting matches fast. I don't want to have the situation back in which we had to wait 10 Minutes for one game.

#10 Sniper09121986

• The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 02:09 PM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 08 September 2020 - 12:35 AM, said:

The merge was supposed to increase player numbers
Wasn't it?

The List shows 14166 players for September, closest matching month being April with 14863 players, so we are right back to where we were at the start of quarantine and all that jazz. Working as intended?

#11 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 13 February 2021 - 07:02 AM

Its hard to be positive and constructive in such an environment, so I have changed to a capping strategy

Picking assault or conquest on the largest map possible every opportunity in my Spider V with cap skills on my cap skills

Its gives me some small pleasure untill they unmerge solo queue, if that happens, before the end.

Edited by General Solo, 13 February 2021 - 08:26 AM.

#12 ReaperAlpha

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:45 AM

The problem with un-merging the queues means that I don't get to play with my friends... EVER!
Before they merged the queues I had played MWO for over a year and had tried to do group queue a handful of times, you want to know how that worked? We queued up and played YouTube videos for an hour waiting and never got a match, didn't matter if we had 2, 3 or 4 people in the group, prime time weekdays weekends didn't matter. Nope didn't ever get one freaking match. I stopped playing because trying to sync drop with one other person let alone 3 or 4 rarely ended up with a match together and more often then not they were on the other side.
Recently it's been more fun because we can actually play together and get matches. Sure some of them suck a big floppy one and we get stomped, a lot of them actually but at least I get to play with my friends. Playing solo or trying for hours on end to sync drop and getting one match together all night sucks more. Removing groups from the solo queue will again make it so I won't ever get a match with my friends, and neither will anyone in my unit because we all came back to play together. So go ahead an appease to the people playing the game solo, but you'll lose 100% of the people who want to play together as the player base is far too small to have the queues separate

Edited by ReaperAlpha, 16 February 2021 - 04:59 AM.

#13 ReaperAlpha

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 16 February 2021 - 04:54 AM

The better option is to revamp the matchmaking system and have it actually look for specific group dynamics like X lights X mediums X heavies and X assaults and not allowing more than a specific tonnage into a match. Or at least letting duos into the solo queue so you can play with a friend and not be completely alone the whole time as I don't see the group queue ever being a worthwhile place to be if it's anything like it was before

#14 Aedryel

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:27 AM

I am a good player.

I would also like to know how is THIS normal.
While I'm not one of those ace pilots, I do deliver results, which amounts for nothing if the match is practically rigged from the start.

Current W/L: 0.6 K/D: 1....ish.

Groups should be either flat removed from QP or AT LEAST a friggin checkbox could be added to the QP interface to give the players the freedom to decide whether they want a match with groups involved or would prefer playing pure solo.

Groups in QP is detrimental to balancing since many scenarios play out like Team "A" has at least a lance of well-coordinated tight-knit people with private TS and specific tactics and builds prepared whereas Team "B" do not, thus the former have a substantial advantage over the latter. --> current match mechanics are and will be abused to the point most solo sane people leave this game, since there's no point in playing only to lose 10 times in a row only to win once.

While the patches recently were aimed to "make MWO enjoyable to all of us", PGI ignores the very first step towards that by at least evening the odds in this regard.

In layman's terms matchmaking is fundemantally f.k.e.d up.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Aedryel, 20 June 2021 - 01:28 AM.

#15 Aedryel

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:34 AM

View PostReaperAlpha, on 16 February 2021 - 04:45 AM, said:

The problem with un-merging the queues means that I don't get to play with my friends... EVER!
Before they merged the queues I had played MWO for over a year and had tried to do group queue a handful of times, you want to know how that worked? We queued up and played YouTube videos for an hour waiting and never got a match, didn't matter if we had 2, 3 or 4 people in the group, prime time weekdays weekends didn't matter. Nope didn't ever get one freaking match. I stopped playing because trying to sync drop with one other person let alone 3 or 4 rarely ended up with a match together and more often then not they were on the other side.
Recently it's been more fun because we can actually play together and get matches. Sure some of them suck a big floppy one and we get stomped, a lot of them actually but at least I get to play with my friends. Playing solo or trying for hours on end to sync drop and getting one match together all night sucks more. Removing groups from the solo queue will again make it so I won't ever get a match with my friends, and neither will anyone in my unit because we all came back to play together. So go ahead an appease to the people playing the game solo, but you'll lose 100% of the people who want to play together as the player base is far too small to have the queues separate

This could be solved by making grouping OPTIONAL as in letting the players decide themselves.
Checkbox ON --> groups will be excluded from que.
Checkbox OFF: --> groups wil be included in que.
Both parties would get what they want for a probably longer que waiting period, but that's a price I'd personally gladly pay for a less ****** up playing experience.

#16 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:43 AM

Understand those results were the similar even before the merge. Lose a few mechs and usually the game went downhill from there, one side becoming more aggressive of their advantage while the other side turns tail and runs, nascaring essentially, and not shooting back.

Hmm, you do understand that, of the 10 screenshots provided, 5 of them actually do not show proof that there were any 2-man to 4-man groups on either side, identified with unit tags? And at least two screenshot where it would appear you yourself had been grouped up but still lost. And of those two screenshots your group went in with low tonnage, each time with a medium and light.

Simply pointing out groups are not necessarily in every drop. And I am aware groups can drop with no unit or different unit tags. And as for PGI coding something that... specific.. Not going to happen... We cannot even get them to code it so we the players can see who are in those 2-man to 4-man groups when there isn't a unit tag.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 20 June 2021 - 03:48 AM.

#17 Aedryel

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:49 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 20 June 2021 - 03:43 AM, said:

Understand those results were the similar even before the merge.

Speak only on your behalf Mr, matches I used to be in were better and I don't think I've became a worse pilot overtime, but the trend is clearly going downhill in the W/L aspect.

Lose a few mechs and usually the game went downhill from there, one side becoming more aggressive of their advantage while the other side turns tail and runs, nascaring essentially, and not shooting back.

This phenomenon works both ways, thus over a high enough amount of matches should be balanced out evenly. It isn't.
A steadily dropping W/L ratio should itself indicate that clearly enough.

And at least two screenshot where it would appear you yourself had been grouped up but still lost.

The pilot I brought assumed the role of a lone harasser/scout, while I went in to support the bulk.
Being in a group with him mostly served the purpose only to be in the same match and team,
but due to the differing roles we only occasionally managed to act as a group.

And of those two screenshots your group went in with low tonnage, each time with a medium and light.

Very true sir, but that is because he performs best in lights and nimble mediums,
whereas I feel the most comfortable in mediums, occasionally heavies in the lower end.
I wouldn't see much point in piloting mechs in we underperform.

Simply pointing out groups are not necessarily in every drop. And I am aware groups can drop with no unit or different unit tags. And as for PGI coding something that... specific.. Not going to happen... We cannot even get them to code it so we the players can see who are in those 2-man to 4-man groups when there isn't a unit tag.

You're probably right about this, altough groups up to 4 peeps join the same lance and for that to create a color coding...is so trivial (I'm pretty sure there's a boolean on serverside to determine whether a pilot is grouped or not) even I could do it. If PGI refuses to code it, that's not becasue of a lack of technical feasability.

While I'm aware there are many variables at play prior drops, most of them are evened out on the long run, I mean statistically I have the same odds to be dropped to a crap starting point as having the more advantageous placement. Same goes for team tonnage and rig assembly and pilot skill level and other factors which could be attributed to luck.
Bottom line is RNG can keep these parameters more or less balanced on the long run, even with the modest playerbase we have now.

Groups, or more like group abusement offset this balance. If PGI figured to address the increased que waiting time for the steadily decreasing playerbase by merging ques thus making the game unenjoyable for a sizable portion of players will backfire.
When comp-level lances mow down the regular Joes, that's easy win for them and bitter loss for the opposing team. Considering the recent patches were aimed to make the game "enjoyable for everyone", PGI could start with the fundamentals and fix the matchmaking mechanism.
I'm not saying all matches are rigged or biased or whatever this way, but I'm not sure you got the point of my reasoning.

-->I don't OCCASIONALLY lose matches.
-->I don't lose matches HALF THE TIME. (this would be the normal RNG state)
-->I lose SUBSTANTIALLY MORE matches than I win them.

The most obvious change PGI made between the era of 50-50 and this crap now is the que merging, so it is only logical to assume that's the aspect of the game which contributes to this drop primarily.
Ever since the merge I got the impression the gap widened between teams either in skills or coordination or both, which means balancing in this regard is broken. BROKEN.

Looking around the forum reinforces the idea QP is corrupted the way it is now.
If it's not, do tell me where to look for improvement.

#18 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:04 AM

Just a quick reminder to blank out pilots' names . . . .

#19 AlexTRoopeR

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts
  • LocationBucharest

Posted 22 June 2021 - 02:08 PM

New patch is in, matchmaking is still broken. Just had a match where the enemies had like 5 assaults, and we had none whatsoever. It ended in a loss, surprisingly!
Posted Image

Edited by AlexTRoopeR, 22 June 2021 - 02:09 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users