Rockets Lol

31 replies to this topic

#1 Plato J

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:07 PM

Maybe its the challenge to get kills, but I find the rockets to be a really bad mechanic and not really conducive to good game play. Not sure why anyone thought it would be fun to queue up for a few minutes just to be cored in one click at the start of the game.

Anyone have any advice on how to have fun in a dying game?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:21 PM

View PostPlato J, on 03 August 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

Maybe its the challenge to get kills, but I find the rockets to be a really bad mechanic and not really conducive to good game play. Not sure why anyone thought it would be fun to queue up for a few minutes just to be cored in one click at the start of the game.

Could you tell us what happened, please?

#3 MyriadDigits

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 282 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:40 PM

I delivered 80 rockets into the backside of his Kodiak is what happened.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 03 August 2020 - 09:47 PM

View PostMyriadDigits, on 03 August 2020 - 09:40 PM, said:

I delivered 80 rockets into the backside of his Kodiak is what happened.

Excellent shot! Posted Image

#5 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 03 August 2020 - 11:01 PM

Unfortunately, it means whatever Mech was in use lost a major amount of their Damage Potential after that singular shot. Such is not a good design idea in order to be effective for the rest of the Match being played. Unless they didn't mind not surviving afterward, they would have to be on-the-run for the rest of that Match, which could be a while. :(

~D. V. "seeing the flaws in Rocket Launchers as well" Devnull

#6 Biomechtric

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 123 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:14 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 03 August 2020 - 11:01 PM, said:

Unfortunately, it means whatever Mech was in use lost a major amount of their Damage Potential after that singular shot. Such is not a good design idea in order to be effective for the rest of the Match being played. Unless they didn't mind not surviving afterward, they would have to be on-the-run for the rest of that Match, which could be a while. Posted Image

~D. V. "seeing the flaws in Rocket Launchers as well" Devnull

Not entirely true! There are some builds that can use rockets & have weapons left to fight effectively after firing them such as BSW-P1 with 4 rocket 20, LB10X & a Snub Nose PPC.

#7 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 01:13 AM

Rockets got nerfed heavily after a couple of cheese builds started to show up. To the point that they are pretty much just a ‘Hail Mary - gotta pump up some damage before I die to keep the PSR arrow equal or up’ weapon.

Better use of the tonnage and slots is medium lasers and heat sinks.

As for having fun, I’ve been making suggestions what could be change where appropriate on the Outreach Reddit.

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 August 2020 - 05:35 AM

You can pry the 1 ton 20% damage reduction buff from my cold, dead fingers OP.

#9 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 07:30 AM

Yeah, what ^ he said.

RLs for that dmg reduction, although every once in a while you smash some assault in the face and it's pretty funny.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:47 AM

View PostBiomechtric, on 04 August 2020 - 12:14 AM, said:

Not entirely true! There are some builds that can use rockets & have weapons left to fight effectively after firing them such as BSW-P1 with 4 rocket 20, LB10X & a Snub Nose PPC.

That build actually loses damage potential after the Rocket Launchers are fired. It drops from 180 Damage down to a meager 20, which makes a useless build on a BushWacker at its' tonnage. When talking of Damage Potential, it is reloadable/reuseable weapons which I speak of and tilt towards. Those do not lose any Damage Potential because the player's Mech can keep putting out the same Damage throughout the entire Match, give or take any parts that were blown off the Mech itself. :mellow:

~D. V. "That design of BSW-P1 may not lose all the Damage Potential, but an 89% loss is not reasonable." Devnull

#11 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 04 August 2020 - 12:22 PM

Meh. Even back in the tabletop days, one-shot weapons seemed horrible. Single-shot SRMs showed up a few times but did nothing but make the mechs carrying them easier to kill. Rocket launchers do massive damage but then you're left with what afterwards?

#12 Plato J

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 02:33 PM

View Postmartian, on 03 August 2020 - 09:47 PM, said:

Excellent shot! Posted Image

Yep that's exactly what happened. It was the last match I played after a string of bad matches. For a game with generally a long time to kill, the rockets seem out of place. Not saying that mechs can't be squished in seconds by coordinated focused groups. The irony is that I'm a new player and was having a lot of fun before the psr reset, but now I see why MWO has been called the best worst game.

Advice on how you have fun is welcome.

#13 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 04 August 2020 - 06:14 PM

View PostPlato J, on 04 August 2020 - 02:33 PM, said:

Yep that's exactly what happened. It was the last match I played after a string of bad matches. For a game with generally a long time to kill, the rockets seem out of place. Not saying that mechs can't be squished in seconds by coordinated focused groups. The irony is that I'm a new player and was having a lot of fun before the psr reset, but now I see why MWO has been called the best worst game.

Rockets are rubbish, even death from behind is due to bad luck. Their cone of fire and minimum range ensures that their damage is spread far and wide. Had you been facing your opponent you would have received the equivalent of a poke up the nose. There are plenty of builds that would have also blown you up from behind, and not run out of ammo in the process. Kodiaks have a rather slow torso twist speed, and their range of torso motion is small especially on the Kodiak 3, I would suggest (if you haven't already) looking into using UAV consumables to spot flanks or to get the seismic sensor upgrade from the skill trees.

Edited by RickySpanish, 04 August 2020 - 06:16 PM.

#14 Zirconium Kaze

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 92 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 09:42 PM

View PostPlato J, on 03 August 2020 - 09:07 PM, said:

Stop running into their range. Alternatively, if you can sneak up on a rocket launcher user you can get within 90m and they can't do damage. Rockets are the "I got room to spare and happen to have missile hard points" weapon system.

#15 Jastreb17

Rookie

• The Hungry
  • The Hungry
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 10:14 PM

The irony is that I'm a new player and was having a lot of fun before the psr reset, but now I see why MWO has been called the best worst game.

When I was brand new, I was useless in assaults until I got a bit of experience and feel for positioning. Kodiak is also a pretty prominent target. I would suggest something smaller and more nimble for now. Also what's your current Tier? After the reset I had an awful time in T3 - only Mechwarrior 2 nostalgia kept me going. Happier now in T4. Resetting everyone to T3 and forcing newer players to go through a month of pain was a bad move.

#16 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,725 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 03:01 AM

To be honest, I do not use Rocket Launchers in MWO.

In BattleTech the only RL-armed 'Mechs used by me are those that have RLs as a secondary armament. For example Mortis or Tenshi.

#17 OneTeamPlayer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 399 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:10 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 04 August 2020 - 05:35 AM, said:

You can pry the 1 ton 20% damage reduction buff from my cold, dead fingers OP.

20% Damage reduction? Could you expand upon this please? Never heard about that part of rockets.

Also someone said under 90m rockets were ineffective- i'd heard it was under 50m.

Can someone confirm the actual distance given that the silly chart in the mechlab is nearly impossible to read?

#18 Sergeant Destroy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 201 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:16 AM

You put them into a slot with missile doors (Kintaro CT e.g.) but never use them = 20 % damage reduction.

Edited by Sergeant Destroy, 05 August 2020 - 04:17 AM.

#19 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 04:25 AM

Minrange on Rockets is 50m
Source: https://mwomercs.com.../list/full.json

#20 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 05 August 2020 - 07:11 AM

Well, it's a shame if you're not having fun. My best advice is to just get good enough where you'll be ok with most of the annoyances of the game, because nothing is going to be changes or developed further. What you see now is what you get unless you also get into competitive play and such.

Don't worry about rockets though. They are really bad and almost never used. You were unlucky to have this experience but it won't happen often. You can of course be backshotted by srms and whatever other weapons as well, so just develop your awareness of light mechs sneaking around.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users