• The Carnivore
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 August 2020 - 08:53 PM

Just reinstalled the game for the first time in months after upgrading my rig:

Win 10
Ryzen 9 3900x
1080 ti
32 GB Ram @ 3200 Mhz

Can't get the damn thing to load the first mission after the tutorial without crashing. All I get is "UE4 Engine Fatal Error" with no error code. Triple checked to make sure my drivers are up to date. Tried looking all over Reddit, these forums, etc and haven't seen anyone find a solution.

The lack of a proper separate forum with dedicated support and FAQs honestly doesn't give me hope. PGI doesn't exactly set the bar for quality and customer service.

I had this running perfectly fine on my old rig, the only major difference being Intel vs AMD. I would go out on a limb and guess this is an AMD driver issue, but I've also seen people with nearly identical builds as mine running the game with zero issues.

Like I said, considering this game is the offspring of some of the lowest quality development I've had the privilege of handing my money to, I'm not getting my hopes up. Maybe someone could prove me wrong?

Things tried with no success:
Reinstall Graphics Drivers
Error Check via Epic GameStore
Full Screen Mode
Windowed Mode
Borderless Windowed Mode
New Campaign Started
Modifying Engine.ini for Realtek/AMD Compatibility Issue
Restarting Machine
Reinstalling Game

Edited by Paladin IIC, 04 August 2020 - 08:58 PM.

#2 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:37 AM

Maybe e-mail pgi support
Make them do their job
Tell the Internet about how it went

#3 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:39 AM

I remember that there was a good number of people with that error, not only for MW5 but unreal games in general.
Sadly I don't remember any solution to this.

As for AMD, also got an AMD and the last time I installed MW5 it worked just fine.

#4 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 August 2020 - 12:51 AM

Mmm as much as I hate helping PGI, Posted Image

After you uninstalled MW5 did you....

Did your check out your AppData\Local folder in your logged in account profile and clear it out of any folders that start with Unreal bla bla bla and Epic bla bla bla and MW5 bla bla bla.

And then re installed MW5 after that?

No more help Posted Image Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 05 August 2020 - 01:54 AM.

#5 Paladin IIC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 August 2020 - 01:30 PM

Still no luck.

#6 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 06:00 AM

Mmm
You said it stopped working after you upgrade.
What did you upgrade?

The whole system or just part of it.
If part of it, the upgraded part may have something to do with it.

Also just looking at your specs, the RAM specifically, the 32 GB Ram @ 3200 Mhz bit
Is 3200MHz standard clock rate or a Gee Wizz Higher clock rate.
Personally I have found Overclocked RAM to be problematic and the gains minimal.
RAMM can be tricky especially if its not on the compatibility list for your motherboard.

Edit: On my own system I have 3200MHz RAMM but it won't run at that speed on my system even with when the mb reads the RAMM's SPD data. So I run it at 2667MHz, rock solid. Even if I got 3200Mhz running, the gain are only a few fps so I didn't bother pursuing it.

Try revert to standard/lower RAM speed and try that, say 2667Mhz which has been industry standard long time.

No more help
Posted Image

Did a quick search your RAM on a Ryzen 9 3900X can run between DDR4 2667-3200, so try a lower RAM speed.

https://en.wikichip....d/ryzen_9/3900x

This time really No more help
Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 18 August 2020 - 04:07 PM.

#7 onesoul

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2021 - 10:03 PM

I finally got to the bottom of my MW5 Unreal Engine4 fatal crashes using my son's gaming rig and wanted to post this for anyone banging their head against a wall.

The punch line is Windows Timeout Detection and Recovery (TDR) not waiting long enough (2 sec) for GPU render transitions, restarting the GPU driver (nVidia GTX in my case), causing UE4 to fatally crash due to the GPU going away (from a DirectX perspective). Increasing the TDR waits to 60 seconds has *permanently* fixed my UE4 fatal crashes with zero negative effects.

Windows 7 (then Windows 8.1)
Dell Precision 690
Dual Intel Xeon x5355 (quad core 2.66GHz)
nVidia GTX 1050Ti
48GB RAM (DDR2 ECC @ 667MHz)
300MB/sec SSD

The final clue was occasionally getting "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" Windows 7 taskbar error messages when NOT running games, just heavy Chrome usage (dozens of active tabs in several Chrome instances).

Just like the original poster above, I tried the latest nVidia driver and rolled back to the prior dozen driver versions and *still* got the "stopped responding" errors. The gaming rig hardware hadn't changed in years.

I stumbled upon a document posted by a 3D rendering company on exactly this problem.
Their doc also notes the Microsoft document:
https://docs.substan...-128745489.html

To avoid link-rot, I'm going to paraphrase the article:
Why does the GPU driver crash ?
In order to prevent any rendering or GPU computation from locking the system, the Windows Operating System kills the GPU driver whenever a rendering takes more than a few seconds. When the driver is killed, the application using it crashes automatically. Since we can't possibly know how long a rendering or computation will take (it depends on the GPU, the drivers, the OS, the mesh size, the texture size, etc.), we cannot put a limit on how much the computer can process and avoid the crash.

On Windows there is a key in the registry specifying how many seconds the OS should wait before killing the driver call. Application are not authorized to modify this setting directly, this procedure has to be done manually (see below).
You can find more details about it here : https://docs.microso...r-registry-keys

Create two 32bit DWORD registry keys (TdrDelay, TdrDdiDelay) to increase the TDR waits:

***WARNING: OS and video driver updates can change these registry values.***
regedit
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers
New > DWORD (32bit) Value. Name it "TdrDelay"
In the right pane, double click the value TdrDelay. Change the Base setting to Decimal and set higher than the default 2 (we recommend 60).

New > DWORD (32bit) Value. name it "TdrDdiDelay"
In the right pane, double click the value TdrDdiDelay. Change the Base setting to Decimal and set the value higher than the default 5 (we recommend 60).

How to revert the TDR to its default values ?
There are two ways to revert the TDR to its default values :
Set the TdrDelay to 2 and the TdrDdiDelay to 5, by following the steps described above.
Or
Remove the TdrDelay and TdrDdiDelay keys from the registry.

#8 SomersetStriker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 January 2021 - 02:49 PM

Its possible there's more than one possible fix. I've seen fatal crash when they released ray tracing and got it to go away from MW5 setting changes, crashing, setting changes, and then no more crashing for at least 40 hours still at least 58 hours now.

But, I believe the game settings have something to do with it and something goes wrong but then can get corrected. Easy thing to have happen in complicated code or not enough testing of combinations.

Edited by SomersetStriker, 16 January 2021 - 04:14 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users