Incentivize Completing Objects In Siege To Reduce Farming

Gameplay

17 replies to this topic

#1 HKO2006

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:26 PM

In siege, it's common to see attackers delay completing the objectives to farm the defenders. It's not challenging for the attackers and frustrating for the defenders.
Why people farm? For LP rewards I suppose. So to reduce farming, we need to relocate the rewards from farming to completing objects.

I suggest reducing the current rewards, for example, by half.
Add a pool of, say, 11,880 LP rewards (990x12), this is the reward if the match ends without passing a minute. Every minute passes, the pool reduces by 396 (33x12). When the attacking team wins, the remaining pool is distributed to the the attacking team in proportion of their match score to the team total match score. So if you did 1/12 of the team match score, you get 1/12 of the LP pool.
But this will

Or just add a 100% bonus to everyone's LP at the start, reduce it by 4% when every minute passes.

You may say "Oh, it's unfun to rush for objects! I like shooting robots!" Yes and no. Yes, it's unfun to actively avoiding fights and cap in Conquest. But in the case of Siege, you are rushing to the middle of enemy base looking for fight. As you are blasting the gens, it attracts the defenders to you, isn't it?

#2 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 07 August 2020 - 09:46 PM

No incentives for gen rushing.

Period.

Attackers may choose to offer mercy, or they may farm the defenders out, especially deserved if they were LRMing.

Edited by BlaizerP, 07 August 2020 - 09:48 PM.

#3 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 04:51 AM

Victory is its own reward

#4 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 07:56 AM

Incentivize playing MW5 to reduce shooting objectives.

MWO is for shooting mechs; it incentivizes people to learn to build good mechs and play them effectively. People that don't like PvP have mostly moved on to MW5 which is a snooze fest but you can shoot all the stationary objects you want amd it even counts towards your damage stat!

#5 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 08:10 AM

You weren't around for the 4 waves of 12 assassins, or the 12 linebacker 6srm6 gen rush cheese, or the MPL/ppc black knights, orr the SPL artic cheeta rush. Doing this would kill the game. I haven't played this game in almost a year, and it still offends me you would even suggest this.

#6 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 08 August 2020 - 10:55 AM

View PostHKO2006, on 07 August 2020 - 09:26 PM, said:

Why people farm? For LP rewards I suppose.

Completely wrong. Let me suggest some things that all provide superior psychological motivation over worthless LP.
  • C-bills
  • The simple joy of killing
  • The social status and accolades gained from competitive damage farming amongst one's peers.
I don't even agree with your assessment that there is a problem, but if I did understand that curtailing farming via LP is a flawed premise.

Edited by Spheroid, 08 August 2020 - 11:35 AM.

#7 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 11:52 AM

I'd rather offer a bonus for achieving 48 kills on top of completing the objective.

But if you did, players might run off on purpose for the sake of denying that bonus... So it's fine as it is : If you're not getting farmed down to the last mech you're probably not trying hard enough.

#8 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 330 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:42 PM

OK, who hacked Dexterers account?

#9 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:54 PM

You hafta incentivise the defenders to defend their drop zone if you don't want them to hide. Thing is, most folk play this game to shoot large stompy mechs, so we'll go to where the large stompy mechs are. Odd thing is, getting shot whilst dropping did incentivise me to defend my drop zone, but I guess most folk like it? I dunno. People are weird.

~Leone.

#10 Johnathan Tanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 899 posts
  • LocationCurrently dodging the pugs war crimes tribunal

Posted 08 August 2020 - 01:06 PM

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 08 August 2020 - 11:52 AM, said:

If you're not getting farmed down to the last mech you're probably not trying hard enough.

View PostvonJerg, on 08 August 2020 - 12:42 PM, said:

OK, who hacked Dexterers account?
Posted Image

#11 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 09:24 PM

View PostKaukas, on 08 August 2020 - 09:50 AM, said:

hi all, for bad pug teams rushing gens when atacking against good enemy team is a good chance they will destroy some of gens - so if pgi makes biger rewards for every gen destroyed and split that reward after match to whole team - that will help pugs to get more cbills and xp to buy new mechs and skill them up .

for good teams that wont matter much but they will get more cbill and xp so mabe they can spent those in mechlab buy lapdance ,prostitutes or a box of best champaign or kilo of intergalactic extasy - many people dont have where to spend all they cbills and xp anymore.so we need to ask pgi to add some black market stuff into mwo .

and good teams can decide themself if they rush gens then farm or farm and then kill gens - but for pugs every cbill and xp is worth a try and when enemy is farming u over and over again and u cant outshoot them or outsmart them mabe shooting gen will be the last and only satisfaction before your mech will be melted and destroyed in every position there is in camasutra. and u will know that at least u get something out of that match - cbills and xp. and farming matches happen very often and i dont like being farmed and farm myself ,somehow it reminds me of seal slaughter. p.s. but we have some psychos in mwo so probably they get orgasms from those seal slaughters.

had many matches when at the start of "ready up" screen u see u have no chance to win - and even then people say they came to mwo to shoot mechs not to rush gens - but gen rush is the last chance to win against good defenders if its done the right way - imagine u end up on boreal with pug team atacking - we all had matches where people just disconect ( its very sad ) , we cant even open gates because people afraid to go up front ;D and i dont think gen rush will help those kind of pugteams anyway because it needs coordination and teamwork even more then usual fire exchange. so in reality nothing will change anything - if u bad u bad at everything , if u good u good at everything , and some people cant learn or be better - they are what they are .

main thing what mwo needs is future development and podcast with pgi about future plans , if we get that development then its fantastic if nothing will change then its sad.

good luck all, enjoy last month of summer and burn in hell dirty claners!!!

If you meet Elon Musk IRL, and gave you the choice of $2.50, or 30 minutes of any open ended question you could possibly think of, im pretty sure every single person would say Talk to Elon for 30 minutes.

Why choose a few extra cbills to shoot gens, rather than a chance fight against the pro's, see where they take their shoots from, see where they retreat too when pushed. Or, if your dead/frustrated to ask/talk to comp/good players about builds/strats/help. I guarantee you, any good player will answer a question, or give you a reference to a website/document that has the answer.

But instead you choose to waste that valuable time with "AIMBOT HACKZZ LAWLZZ" "OP dakka buildz, Can;t do that in tabletop!"

Edited by C H E E K I E Z, 09 August 2020 - 09:25 PM.

#12 Voxsera Hazen

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 25 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:41 PM

I'm here to shoot robots in the face, and not stationary objects.

Gonna be a hard pass on this one, dislike CoWardly-X gen rushes. Plus, it feels nice to punish those defenders who keep sitting at spawn points/ridges in Taiga/Boreal and smash their faces in, then kill omega.

Killing all 48 mechs IS the objective.

#13 evil kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:40 AM

if you want to bring back gen rushing, bring back mc rewards for most wins in a phase. thats your incentive to finish the match fast. on the flipside, gen rushing is not fun for either side, so its a bit of a catch 22.

best case it would end prolonging a game that is rediculously one sided (and that seems to be the primary complaint), but the odds of that are small. the best option is for stomp-ees to find a community that will let you join them, so you can approach each game from a more organized perspective. groups arent garunteed to level the playing field, but its about 90% of what divides the stomped from the stompers. whats important is that you have fun. if getting stomped becomes a huge emotional thing for you, it might be best to take a step back from the game until you remember that its only a game.

#14 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 11 August 2020 - 02:57 AM

Introduce that at a given point, say last 6 or 8 mechs, a team member can surrender, providing a small LP/C-Bill reward for all of the opposing team IF the match is an objective capture/destroy type as opposed to a straight up fight (although the same option may be enabled if down to the last 4 mechs).

Rushes are banal and rarely prove anything other than that it has stopped a stomp by an organised team (bit of a mercy win really). Hunting other team down and avoiding the objective is crass and just goes to bolster fragile egos.

The surrender function would be optional because die hards like myself want to fight to the very last point of armour, but on occasion, the play is so one sided and unfulfilling, there literally is no reason to keep fighting (one match not too long ago had my side down to 0 v 23 because they wouldn't listen on how to open the gates on Boreal Vault - at that point I logged out and let the defenders claim 4 uncontested kills from my drop deck - sad thing was, it took nearly 25 minutes to do so because they wouldn't eject to jump capable lights to get over the gates which still stood after nearly half an hour. I would have loved to have surrendered - offered respect to other team and used my drop deck for something more entertaining.

#15 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 13 August 2020 - 02:21 PM

Talk to Elon Muck for 30 minutes. Lol.

#16 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 13 August 2020 - 10:10 PM

Lets not forget the amount of waiting and switching we have to deal with just trying to get a match every time there. No way we want to just end the game when the game just got started. When you are a player who has played Faction Play Since Day 1 like me and many others have, You don't want to see yourself wasting time looking at that dumb search wheel all day.

I've personally had no respect for units who did that "Gen Rushing" Bullcrap right off the bat and without even attempting to engage enemies.. Now it is true that I know some units would do a Gen Rush in the middle of battle if they know they have no other choice. Sometimes its done in order to bait enemy teams to an area of their choosing and what not. Sadly most of the time most players right now would rather avoid combat altogether. That was also seen in conquest ALOT. Sadly the resource cap should've been higher on there to keep the game playing at nearly 20 minutes but PGI never adjusted it still..

If you don't like that, don't know what to tell ya. I would rather just get a 25 minute game average every game. No Gen Rush, No 5 minute game either.

Edited by Wing 0, 13 August 2020 - 10:12 PM.

#17 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 14 August 2020 - 04:15 AM

people farm cause shooting gens is not fun
the actual cancer that forced people out from FP was objective rush and narrow points when coming inside the base, together with with a 30 min time limit that was designed in 2015 when time to kill was 2 times as fast as it is now.
thats why we all quit

Edited by D A T A, 14 August 2020 - 04:15 AM.

#18 The Jewce Iz Loose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2022 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 111 posts

Posted 14 August 2020 - 06:03 AM

lets play a pvp game so we can shoot boxes, sorry but we get on to shoot mechs, make cbills. If you just objective rush you dont get to kill and you dont make much cbills.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users