- - - - -

Vision, Radar and Target locks

9 replies to this topic

#1 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 12:03 PM

In a battle I met a mech that I could not 'lock' at all, even fighting him for a prolonged period at knife-range (less than 100m, I think, and somewhat 30 seconds of running in circles). How is that possible? I know there's ECM. But I had Beagle probe equipped...

Vision system in MWO is confusing me more the more I play.

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 August 2020 - 01:40 PM

View PostYoho, on 15 August 2020 - 12:03 PM, said:

In a battle I met a mech that I could not 'lock' at all, even fighting him for a prolonged period at knife-range (less than 100m, I think, and somewhat 30 seconds of running in circles). How is that possible? I know there's ECM. But I had Beagle probe equipped...

Vision system in MWO is confusing me more the more I play.

The Civil War update added Stealth Armour which hides you from targeting at any distance. The downside to Stealth is that it dramatically reduces your heat dissipation rate while it is active and equipping it takes up 2 critical slots in all main components. Requires ECM to function.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 16 August 2020 - 02:36 AM

Yup, that's active Stealth Armor. You might want to know that it also makes the mech harder to see in Heat Vision. In low-light conditions, Night Vision is more useful for seeing stealthed mechs.

#4 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 16 August 2020 - 12:06 PM

Thank you, got it. Still, the vision confuses me. Is there a good explanation of how it works somewhere? I read the article "information warfare" in the guide, but it gives very little info to the vision system itself. I understand that there's some limited kind of shared vision in the game, but I do not understand how it works exactly. As a result, I often get caught by surprise by someone who had seen me all the time, being invisible to me...

#5 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 03:01 AM

Hi Yoho

Sensors: To catch mech with sensors you need clear line of sight. Mech hidden behind obstacle will disapear from your sensor vision pretty fast. Use target decay from skill try to increase time when mech is trackable when it is out of sight. You wanna disappear from enemy sensors, cover somewhere, like behind building, hill, rock for few seconds.

UAV: People might see you because someone launched UAV close to your position.

Spotting. If you get spotted by one player all players from enemy team see your position on the minimap. Not only position, they see how you move for a short period of time.

Thermals/night vision: useful at some maps. At some maps it's good to switch between normal vision and thermals/night vision, depends on time of day. Some places are brighter some darker. It's good to experiment a little with thermals/night vision/ normal vision. It may take some time to get use to it.

Voip, Discord, Live communication: People see you because they talk about you and wanna shoot your a.ss Posted Image

#6 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:18 AM

View PostBistrorider, on 17 August 2020 - 03:01 AM, said:

Hi Yoho

Sensors: To catch mech with sensors you need clear line of sight. Mech hidden behind obstacle will disapear from your sensor vision pretty fast. Use target decay from skill try to increase time when mech is trackable when it is out of sight. You wanna disappear from enemy sensors, cover somewhere, like behind building, hill, rock for few seconds.

UAV: People might see you because someone launched UAV close to your position.

Spotting. If you get spotted by one player all players from enemy team see your position on the minimap. Not only position, they see how you move for a short period of time.

Do you mean spotting via command wheel? That rectangle with a cirsle inside that you see on the map... Okay, I've seen it and I used command wheel, no problem here. But what if I see mechs behind a wall in some cases and I do not see them behind a wall in other cases?

I mean, sometimes a light mech can highlight half the enemy team at a great distance, but in other cases you have your heavy allies shooting lasers round the corner, and no sign of enemy that's standing 300 meters away... no LOS for me in both cases. Is this about ECM, or some light-mech-only benefit?

#7 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:48 AM

This goes well beyond the intention of SQSA, so I split this off into its own topic.

#8 Bistrorider

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 273 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 04:55 AM

Ok, Ekson, removed post, putting here.

View PostYoho, on 17 August 2020 - 04:18 AM, said:

Do you mean spotting via command wheel? That rectangle with a cirsle inside that you see on the map... Okay, I've seen it and I used command wheel, no problem here. But what if I see mechs behind a wall in some cases and I do not see them behind a wall in other cases?

I mean, sometimes a light mech can highlight half the enemy team at a great distance, but in other cases you have your heavy allies shooting lasers round the corner, and no sign of enemy that's standing 300 meters away... no LOS for me in both cases. Is this about ECM, or some light-mech-only benefit?

Yes, spotting via command wheel.

Here is the answer https://mwo.gamepedia.com/Sensors

Read also about ECM, BAP and the rest. It will shed a light on electronic warfare to you.

Also this https://mwomercs.com...dian-ecm-suite/

Edited by Bistrorider, 17 August 2020 - 05:06 AM.

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,600 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 05:25 AM

View PostYoho, on 17 August 2020 - 04:18 AM, said:

If any ally has a target lock on an enemy, this enemy will show up on your HUD and minimap. So there's two possible situations if you see someone shooting at someone behind a wall but they won't show up on your HUD/minimap:
1: The enemy has ECM and disrupts your teammate's sensors. Your teammate may have a target lock on them, but can't trasmit their position. In this case, your teammate will display the "low signal" bars icon.
2: Your teammate is shooting the enemy but did not press R for target lock. Something players often forget.

#10 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 17 August 2020 - 12:35 PM

Thanks! I think I understand the most of it now. These little things about target lock and 120° degrees are not exactly intuitive, so you helped me very much. As well, as with the 'eye' above some mechs.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users