Trying Out A Frankenstein 2Xuac Nova

7 replies to this topic

#1 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 11:46 AM

Hey! What would you say of this -- NVA-S -- build?

Posted Image

I thought of building an AC mech with what I have... And all I have is 50-tons. So, first I tried an AC/10, but it proved to be too slow to deal damage. Rather a long-ranged secondary than a main caliber. And C-UAC/10 proved too unreliable. And then I thought: why not 2xC-UAC/5? With 2 cannons the chance that they jam together would be dramatically lower, and the reload is shorter, while the initial damage would be the same — at the cost of extra weight of guns and ammo.

The weight was quite tight already. But luckily, Nova is an Omni-mech. And luckily, it's got quite some omnipods with an extra pack of weight-free-armor! So I cut here, and I sewed there, and voila, I managed to fit in everything, even a battery of tiny lasers as a PDW.

I can't say that I am a top damage dealer, but this proves to be quite fun. Where else would you be able to set twin cannons in a side torso, that's not too low to the ground, while also having jump jets and a good running speed?

[redacted: typos and stylistics]

Edited by Yoho, 21 August 2020 - 12:05 PM.

#2 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 12:10 PM

There is much, MUCH better ballistic clan 'Mechs. Nova super-low tonnage making it sub-par choice.

View PostYoho, on 21 August 2020 - 11:46 AM, said:

I can't say that I am a top damage dealer, but this proves to be quite fun. Where else would you be able to set twin cannons in a side torso, that's not too low to the ground, while also having jump jets and a good running speed?

Hunchback IIC, premium weapon boat in medium class:
https://mech.nav-alp...c61d912_HBK-IIC

Huntsman have 10 ton more over Nova, with same mobility and jumping capability.

Vapor Eagle is flexible platform which can carry a lot of different builds with better baseline agility and decent mounts.

Edited by letir, 21 August 2020 - 12:30 PM.

#3 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 01:31 PM

View Postletir, on 21 August 2020 - 12:10 PM, said:

There is much, MUCH better ballistic clan 'Mechs. Nova super-low tonnage making it sub-par choice.

Hunchback IIC, premium weapon boat in medium class:
https://mech.nav-alp...c61d912_HBK-IIC

Huntsman have 10 ton more over Nova, with same mobility and jumping capability.

Vapor Eagle is flexible platform which can carry a lot of different builds with better baseline agility and decent mounts.

I've been building from what I had, you see... =) if I had a wider choice of platforms I would try other variants for sure. Now that you say it, I think that Vapor Eagle would be perfect for this purpose of mine. Thanks!

[redacted: Huntsman seems not to have enough room in his side torso for twin UAC.] As for Hunchback... I've been thinking of it, too! These over-the-shoulders weapon containers are hard to ignore Posted Image It's just that I never payed attention to the HBK-IIC in particular, and I did not even think that C stands for "clan". On the other hand, I rather like the idea of trying out the first HBK with the twin RAC mount.

Edited by Yoho, 21 August 2020 - 01:37 PM.

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 21 August 2020 - 02:17 PM

Too little ammo on the UACs, but try this: https://mech.nav-alp...#592d731f_NVA-S
It's a fine little mech with a good punch. But squishy, so take care.
The -B right arm gives some extra armour and a -20% jam quirk, the -D left torso also extra armour. And don't ever put ammo on a nova arm. These pop too easily.

#5 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 01:14 AM

Back then when I was still young and there was no huntsman and vapor, nova was much bigger and had insane quirks (-20% ballistic cd as far as I remember) I had some fun playing UAC20+2ersl nova.
It was a very niche mech that could sometimes shine.
Still, IMO it was the best ballistic nova possible back then.
Since then much stuff happened and there is little reason to play that nova. Basically, nova is not suited for anything other than lasers.
But if you insist - it was something like this NVA-S

#6 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 04:20 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 21 August 2020 - 02:17 PM, said:

Too little ammo on the UACs, but try this: https://mech.nav-alp...#592d731f_NVA-S
It's a fine little mech with a good punch. But squishy, so take care.
The -B right arm gives some extra armour and a -20% jam quirk, the -D left torso also extra armour. And don't ever put ammo on a nova arm. These pop too easily.

You'd be amazed, but I started with this weapon config exactly! =B The reason why I opted out for UAC/5 was reliability. Kinda... with the single UAC if you peek out, and it jams on the first shot, you're armless and in the open. Caught with your pants down, if you indulge me such a risky metaphor. But if you have two guns, you almost never jam them together. You always shoot, you look dangerous.

View PostGweNTLeR, on 22 August 2020 - 01:14 AM, said:

Back then when I was still young and there was no huntsman and vapor, nova was much bigger and had insane quirks (-20% ballistic cd as far as I remember) I had some fun playing UAC20+2ersl nova.
It was a very niche mech that could sometimes shine.
Still, IMO it was the best ballistic nova possible back then.
Since then much stuff happened and there is little reason to play that nova. Basically, nova is not suited for anything other than lasers.
But if you insist - it was something like this NVA-S

Wow! That's one crazy toy! :D I must try it!!!
Never even thought of squeeezing in an UAC/20.
Thanks!

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 05:31 AM

Ultra Autocannons do not jam on the first shot. Only if fired during their cooldown, aka double-tapping.

#8 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 22 August 2020 - 06:26 AM

View PostYoho, on 21 August 2020 - 01:31 PM, said:

I've been building from what I had, you see... =) if I had a wider choice of platforms I would try other variants for sure. Now that you say it, I think that Vapor Eagle would be perfect for this purpose of mine. Thanks!

If you don't know your prefered playstyle and want to experiment - that's fine. But you should pick more diverse platfroms, preferably with good amount of good hardpoints and maximum possible tonnage. This is especially important with Omnimechs, which often hard-locked into certain builds with weight, equpement and slot restrictions.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users