Pesky Lights!

10 replies to this topic

#1 Sydira

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 05:39 AM

Hey everyone! I'm new to the game and I had a question! I see a lot of light mechs harassing and killing the Assault mechs. The medium mechs try to chase them off but they haven't been great at it. So my question is this;

Is there a mech and build that would be best suited for this "Guard Dog" "Cat / Mouse" role?

I'd would love to know any thoughts and feedback! Thank you!

#2 LightningStorm

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts
  • Locationİstanbul, Türkiye

Posted 24 August 2020 - 06:51 AM

Hi, welcome. Easiest way is staying with the pack, lights can easily get heavy and assault mechs that are going alone. Stay with the group and they can't approach easily. Second, ask for help from teammates using quick commands. If you especially want to hunt lights, then ofc best mechs suited for that are Medium mechs with streak srms. They'll flee from you like mad once you start hurling your missiles. Being a medium mech, you can follow them for a while , possibly enough before they can escape.

#3 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 07:38 AM

If you have decent aim, then IS mediums with MPL are best choice. Fast CD and laser accuracy making a short work of any light in close combat.

Streak boats are natural light enemies, but they aren't that useful against stealth lights.

Wolfhound WLF-2:
https://mech.nav-alp...#3caf23c4_WLF-2
Can catch up with almost any light 'Mech, have enough durability and firepower to beat most of them.

Trebuchet TBT-7M, superior siege engine:
https://mech.nav-alp...08a2666b_TBT-7M
Streak them to death in close combat, can use two med lasers instead of Beagle.

Vulcan VL-5T:
https://mech.nav-alp...#e6517dd1_VL-5T
It's almost like Wolfhound, more agility and jump jet against speed.

Crab CRB-27B:
https://mech.nav-alp...35b7c27_CRB-27B
Durable and great firepower.

#4 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,642 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 24 August 2020 - 06:08 PM

1. Aim for legs. A legged light is a slow light
2. Hotkey Arm Lock to Toggle Arm Lock for mechs with weapons in arms.
3. Aim/sweep the legs!!!!
4. Prefer SRMS instead of streaks. Streaks require locks (almost no use against Stealth) and when locked hits everywhere while SRMS are deadfire/aimable and does not require locks.

#5 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,160 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 10:28 PM

The best defends are some mechs around you. Not only because of this, it is not usefull to chase lights to far.

On the weapons side, multiple lbx10 bring pain to lights and if u can aim the high pinpoint heavy gauss and hppc can outright kill a light in one split second.

#6 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 24 August 2020 - 11:56 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 24 August 2020 - 06:08 PM, said:

1. Aim for legs. A legged light is a slow light
2. Hotkey Arm Lock to Toggle Arm Lock for mechs with weapons in arms.
3. Aim/sweep the legs!!!!
4. Prefer SRMS instead of streaks. Streaks require locks (almost no use against Stealth) and when locked hits everywhere while SRMS are deadfire/aimable and does not require locks.

So, streaks are no good? Sad. Lights are not only fast, but they also lag when they run, kinda disappearing and appearing in a different place, obviously because of movement prediction being wrong (seen this in other games). That does exactly not help aiming them...

Another question of mine is: why are are the lights so damn sturdy? They survive a lot of AC hits, and laser burns, and SRMx18 salvos, too... Sometimes they even outdamage a full armor medium face to face.

#7 AnAnachronismAlive

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 417 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:06 AM

Streaks ain't good in quickplay since ye never know 'bout the OpFor's unit composition. So sitting in a streak boat against heavy and assault class mechs is like trying to succeed in a box fight using 1m diameter boxing gloves. You WILL technically hit your opponent, but it won't do much if anything to win you the fight if he ain't close to a knock out already.

Try to read the battlefield, place defensive UAVs on key positions to cover your rear and be aware if those UAVs vanish prematurely. Decent piloted light mech can be a pain in the buttock, but are far from being invicible ...

Edited by AnAnachronismAlive, 25 August 2020 - 05:06 AM.

#8 letir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 217 posts

Posted 25 August 2020 - 05:08 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 25 August 2020 - 05:06 AM, said:

Try to read the battlefield, place defensive UAVs on key positions to cover your rear and be aware if those UAVs vanish prematurely. Decent piloted light mech can be a pain in the buttock, but are far from being invicible ...

Say it to those damned Commando and Flea.

#9 Sydira

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 August 2020 - 12:19 PM

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! I took into consideration Streaks vs Non Streak SRMs, pulse lasers, ect. After trying out several different mechs and the previously stated weapon systems decided on the Arctic Wolf Prime. Import for build as follows;

A_9D=5\0pT0eU7|?C|m<2|YR|YR|YR|mRqT0[U7|?C|YR|YR|YRrH0ZU7|?CsH0^U7|?CtX0_U7uX0`U7v<0YU7w404040

I liked the x4 SRM6 + Artemis because of its strong damage, quick reload, and easily managed heat. The build also boasts 97 kph, Jump Jets, and ECM.

Feel free to take a look, leave a comment or feed back.

Thank you again and happy gaming!

#10 Yoho

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 67 posts

Posted 02 September 2020 - 11:44 PM

View PostSydira, on 26 August 2020 - 12:19 PM, said:

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions! I took into consideration Streaks vs Non Streak SRMs, pulse lasers, ect. After trying out several different mechs and the previously stated weapon systems decided on the Arctic Wolf Prime. Import for build as follows;

A_9D=5\0pT0eU7|?C|m<2|YR|YR|YR|mRqT0[U7|?C|YR|YR|YRrH0ZU7|?CsH0^U7|?CtX0_U7uX0`U7v<0YU7w404040

I liked the x4 SRM6 + Artemis because of its strong damage, quick reload, and easily managed heat. The build also boasts 97 kph, Jump Jets, and ECM.

Feel free to take a look, leave a comment or feed back.

Thank you again and happy gaming!

What will you do, if you run out of ammo?

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 03 September 2020 - 12:16 AM

View PostYoho, on 02 September 2020 - 11:44 PM, said:

What will you do, if you run out of ammo?

A. You're dead.
B. The match is over.
C. Train your aim until A. or B. applies.

6 1/2 tons are an ample supply for 4 SRM6 launchers, especially with missile rack nodes. I'd even go as far and remove one ton for an extra heatsink.

Edited by Aidan Crenshaw, 03 September 2020 - 12:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users