5 replies to this topic

#1 Chillidoge

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts
  • LocationUpside-down land

Posted 29 August 2020 - 11:05 PM

Hey everyone, hope you are all doing well during these trying times.

I'll get right to the point - am I able to get some clarification on why only a select few maps are ever offered in Quick Play queue?

Point in case - Alpine Peaks is almost never available to vote for, and a lot of people would say they disliked it. After getting the map more routinely, I found it to be one of my all-time favourite maps, surpassing Forest/City classic, and I think it's a better map for long range engagements compared to Polar Highlands.

I realise that a lot of the unused maps are relegated to Faction or Solaris - we can worry about Solaris another time - but in my opinion we really need to have these alternative maps forwarded into the QP queue.

Why, you ask?

Well, to be blunt, I've played the same 8 or so maps over and over, I know them like the back of my hand for the most part. I want to have some new maps to sink my teeth into and learn their layout and what tactics do and don't work on them.

Unfortunately, because Faction is RIP I will never see these maps, nor will I get a chance to learn about them.

Now, I have heard from a couple of people that these maps are pretty bad; fair enough. However, if I've never played any of them, I can't agree or disagree with this statement. I would really like to have the opportunity to decide for myself if the maps are good or bad, and vote for them accordingly at map vote screen.

Most importantly, what do you think? I'm trying to offer some alternatives that don't require massive amounts of work for PGI because let's be real, this game is so close to dead I can see its soul rising out of my computer every time I boot it up.

Would love to hear your thoughts on this, specifically which maps you love/hate the most that aren't in rotation and why, and would also love to hear from PGI as to whether this is an achievable compromise to give a bit of "new content" to the game, in a roundabout way.

See you all on the battlefield \m/

#2 Last Of The Brunnen-G

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 165 posts

Posted 30 August 2020 - 03:10 AM

This game is already to dead to be revived. There won't be any big chances made in the future. No new mechs, no new maps, etc. Try to play solaris at any solaris event. Most of the time there is nobody on this planet earth even playing this mode. This alone should tell you, how much the player base declined...

#3 Chillidoge

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 12:56 AM

@MasterBrute, I know the game is dead, I specifically mention that in my post.

I'm not asking for new maps either - what I'm asking for is the existing maps that are sitting unused in Faction to be added to the QP map queue.

Because Faction and QP are both 12v12, it should be as simple as adding them to a list. I don't believe this constitutes a "big change" hence my asking.

I'd still like to hear from you about those unused maps, whether any of them were good in your opinion?

#4 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 03:44 AM

The big problem with the maps exclusively found in FP is that they are made for gamemodes that don't exist in QP. They are asymmetrical and might not have the layout to play the classic modes on them (except for skirmish, of course). All these modes require the addition of gamemode critical objects to the existing map and their proper balancing, so one side is not automatically at a disadvantage just by their placements. You see, your idea might require way more work from PGI than you might have figured.
I could see them bringing back classic terra therma, though, like they brought back the other classics.

#5 Chillidoge

• Pip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 17 posts

Posted 31 August 2020 - 04:04 AM

@Aidan Crenshaw that's fair enough however when comparing it to making completely new maps, it's way less work.

I would also like to see the addition of all classic maps as well; many of my teammates comment that they prefer the old versions. Ultimately, my request is to give us some more choice if possible.

I'm crossing my fingers, but not holding my breath lol

#6 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:50 AM

View PostChillidoge, on 29 August 2020 - 11:05 PM, said:

Most importantly, what do you think?

I would like to see some FP maps added - with some modifications, of course:
  • Boreal Vault - remove that big rock between both gates. Some adjustment to both plateus (LZs) - lower them maybe, so they can not act as sniping platforms for the entire team?
  • Emerald Taiga - turn that massive cliff between both gates into rock pillars or something, so 'Mechs can pass through the area?
  • Grim Portico - that "neck" between both parts of the map would have to be widened and more paths in the central part added.
  • Hellebore Springs and Sulfurous Rift - I would love to see those maps in QP, but they are big and many players complain about big maps, since they dislike walking two or thee minutes towards the enemy team.
  • Mech Factory - copy a few existing maps just next to each other and partially delete those dividing walls between them. Rearrange those machines etc. Essentialy something like the old Factory from MechWarrior 4: Mercenaries used to be. Posted Image

Yes, I know that this is not going to happen. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users