2 replies to this topic

#1 choopy

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 54 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 10:35 AM

Good afternoon

I'm just putting this here because... Well honestly I don't really have another place to put it

When I was like... I dunno 5 I played my first mechwarrior game, so they've always had a big chunk of nostalgia in my life

So I thought hey, I have the old disks, might as well give them a reinstall for old times sake.

The only one I could find both disks for was MW4 Mercs, which aint my favorite, but hey I'll take it. So I installed it properly, went to boot it up and... It just sorta didn't run. I tried all sorts of compatibility settings and admin privelages, but as soon as it starts it ends.

I'm assuming this is some old Copy-protection protocol thats gone old, but I'm not certain (I swear 100% my copy is legal, like 9 year old me in 2006 bought it with my hard earned 2 dollar a week salary). And honestly I just want to play them again, anyone ever figure out how to make it work?

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:25 PM

i can get mw5 to work in win7 just fine, like it just works. idk how to get it to run on windows 10 short of running it in a vm. i have older machines that run 7 just for that kind of thing.

View Postchoopy, on 13 September 2020 - 10:35 AM, said:

The only one I could find both disks for was MW4 Mercs, which aint my favorite, but hey I'll take it. So I installed it properly, went to boot it up and... It just sorta didn't run. I tried all sorts of compatibility settings and admin privelages, but as soon as it starts it ends.

this reminds me though. the first time you run mw4, it is supposed to pop up a settings window, so you can chose video settings, video card, etc. however on some newer oses this doesnt always pop up, and you might need to alt tab to find the window. i think you can also find a program in your instal folder that lets you change settings, its the same thing that pops up. so you might have to set it up manually.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 September 2020 - 05:30 PM.

#3 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 12:38 PM

mw4 is now freeware.... so you can download a version that should run fine on today's machines.
Then just frame your mw4 disc and hang it on your wall.

There's been a few posts about it over the years, but here's some sources...

https://mwomercs.com...ere-to-get-mw4/

Edited by chevy42083, 15 September 2020 - 12:39 PM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users