Help A Newbie To Fw's?

12 replies to this topic

#1 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 September 2020 - 11:33 AM

Hey friends, I am your text book normal Mech Warrior player. As in: Play it off and on with MASSIVE gaps between "Getting the itch" and started way back at launch. However I have little to no experience with Clan Play as it just seemed like too much crap compared to Quick Play.

So! I have some questions that I haven't been able to find here yet.

1) Is there any easy to find collective info on who each of these clans are in summary? I realize that for MWO it probably doesn't matter but in principle if one of these houses are the "Slave traders" then I don't wanna work for them.

2) Should you play with Clan mechs? I know you don't need to but is there a benefit?

3) How do you get things like "mercenary" or "Loyalist" bonus'? Just play for them a lot or???

4) Anyone have an active group looking for a light mech main? :P

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 09:53 PM

Um... care to look at the first page discussions?
Faction Play Guide

#3 Bronn of the Blackwater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Kommandant
  • Kommandant
  • 143 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 02:52 AM

https://steamcommuni...s/?id=573089143

If you want to dive in the lore of this game, you can use decades reading all the material. Anyways there are no maniqueisms in this universe. All factions have greatness and mysery enough to love or hate them.

Clan mechs are recomended if you want to play clan side. I play Merc because i can play every side and every mech. If you play alone it´s a hard time in FP, so you can chose the defending side.
Clan mechs seems cooler to the newbies, they are faster (this can help you to correct a bad movement) and the have more range and punch... But they are weaker than IS mechs in terms of armor, and their heat management is tricky

To get the bonus you have to select a faction first.

Be sure to have a full drop of fully skilled mechs before to join FP. You will spare a lot of fustration to yourself and to your teammates. To take trial mechs in faction is a big NO NO. Faction play is the endgame, you will find entire premades of 12 men who drop every day since 6 years ago. So be sure to be in the best conditions to at least make a valuable contribution to the match. The rule of thumb used to be: "Dont bring to FP a mech if you dont put reliably 500 damage in it in QP"

And specially, dont lurm. With some exception (Caustic map) LRM are suboptimal weapons. Stay in the back of your team lurming can give you the ilusion to be contributive to the win (only if your mates do all the hard job)... But you will not sharing armor, and you lack the pinpoint precission needed to stop the enemy. Learn to aim. Every day a novice stays in a lurming assault is a day lost in his formation.

There are some basic habits to be iron learned before to go to FP.
1) Press "R" and use the command wheel to select "enemy spotted" as a second nature. Information is a very valuable ressource to your team. Do it every time. Always.
2) As a newbie, using UAV´s as consumables will save your life much more than cool shots.
3) Kill every enemy UAV you see in the sky. Deny information to the enemy. You dont want they to know where you are, how damaged, how far of friendly help. and which weapons you have. To no speak about a rain of LRM....
4) Drop from heavier lo lighter, if the dropcaller dont says nothing
5) always follow the team, don´t gol yolo solo in faction. But never stay too near other mechs. One of the most irritianting habits of the newbies is kill their mates blocking them when they are poking or brawling. if someone is in a hill or a cormer shooting, he will eventually search cover. If you stay too near you will block him under the enemy fire. In FP this usually means instant death and an angry mate. Keep some air. And a lot of people use 2 Air strikes by mech. Move . Nothing reveals more a newbie in FP than a guy standing in a red smoke, shooting in tunnel vision...

I will never know the half Yondu Udonta has forgotten abour FP, but his mech guide is one of the best you can find... Enjoy it...

https://docs.google....KgQM/edit#gid=0

Edited by Tirant Lo Blanc, 07 September 2020 - 02:55 AM.

#4 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 05:22 AM

DON'T REINFORCE

#5 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 09:18 PM

Check out sarna on google, its a battle tech site with much lore information.
I chose Clan Wolf 1st cause they have less war crimes under their belts compared to some other clans and treat their civies pretty good.

Plus I'm a Ulric Kerensky fanboi, freebirth compatable, puts merit before bloodline, I like that, kinda like Genghis Khan

Didn't choose Inner sphere because they remind me of feudal Europe in the dark middle ages. Not a good time for civies.

#6 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:58 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 06 September 2020 - 09:53 PM, said:

Um... care to look at the first page discussions?
Faction Play Guide

This doesn't actually address almost any of the questions I asked so... maybe... "care to read my question?"

#7 Aivazovsky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 794 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 11:49 PM

View PostSeven Strikes, on 10 September 2020 - 08:58 PM, said:

This doesn't actually address almost any of the questions I asked so... maybe... "care to read my question?"
you didn't ask the right question. if you don't understand Yondu's guide, it's too early for you to play FP.

#8 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:24 AM

View PostAivazovsky, on 10 September 2020 - 11:49 PM, said:

you didn't ask the right question. if you don't understand Yondu's guide, it's too early for you to play FP.

Thanks also for being of no use. People wonder why game modes like Faction Play dies when eager players who just want help get piss poor replies and simply are told "Your questions are bad, look at this list of suggested mechs and suggested basic strategies"

I appreciate Yondudes post but calling it a "Guide" is pretty damn farm from the truth for a new player? It's a damn suggested mech build list, and a few tips on how to deal with certain maps.- AGAIN I agree appreciate Yondudes efforts and I will consider some of the build suggestions they have compiled and I will try some of the tactics but its far from a guide.

Nowhere did I (easily) find information on pledging myself to a specific faction in order to gain those extra points for Mech Bays. I had to have another random player give me that info while we dropped together. I assumed picking a side each "conflict" was enough..

but again instead of actual help for a new player I get told "Don't play this mode" and "Bro you didn't even read the guide"... thanks for nothing..

Excuse me for having a half-assed interest in how I pick which faction I ally too even though I know it has zero affect on game play.

Excuse me for simply asking for suggestions on IS vs. Clan as a new to Faction Play player.

I have looked over Yondu's guide. Since then i've solo dropped into faction

#9 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 05:12 AM

The Yondu guide is what you need, for what you want here are your answers:

1.) There's nothing in game, feel free to google the lore all you want.
2.) Having mechs for both sides is useful to get a match.
3.) Merc select which of the factions in the conflict you want to fight for from the Select Faction screen, for loyalty pledge loyalty from the Faction Details screen.
4.) Light mech main will not be very useful as most games are won with big mechs and big guns. Probably best to ask around in-game for unit recruitment.

#10 Ignatius Audene

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 09:13 AM

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Clans

Lots of Lore Info here.
Other than that, i would suggest to join a group. There is a reason, that there is no "all inclusive" guide. To much work for little to no result. There are some guides that pick up some points, but are mostly outdated since they are from cw 1.0 merc star era.

Just join a group! Most don't bitte and u learn more in 10 mins in ts, than in reading hours of guides.
But the tipp to start in qp, and farm the mech bays later is actually good (otherwise it is a rly painfull grind). Solo cw is the toughest experience. U will prob loose 19 out of 20 and the one u get carried and can't learn much. Here in the faction sub forum are the recruitment Infos from lots of units.

I am playing mwo since open beta, tier one, top 1% on jarls, thousands of matches. And still this week I dropped around 10 cw matches solo and won 0! (While scoring around 5 kills and 2300+ dmg each match).

Edited by Ignatius Audene, 11 September 2020 - 10:15 AM.

#11 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 11 September 2020 - 03:15 PM

View PostSeven Strikes, on 04 September 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

1) Is there any easy to find collective info on who each of these clans are in summary? I realize that for MWO it probably doesn't matter but in principle if one of these houses are the "Slave traders" then I don't wanna work for them.
Sarna.net
Protip? If you dig far enough in the backstory, you'll find that every faction has done some godawful things in their past.
Protip #2? You're a merc. You're not there to act as your employers moral center, you're there to get paid.

2) Should you play with Clan mechs? I know you don't need to but is there a benefit?
The techbases don't mix. If you're dropping for a Clan faction, you can ONLY drop with Clan mechs. If you're dropping for an IS faction, you can ONLY drop with IS mechs.

3) How do you get things like "mercenary" or "Loyalist" bonus'? Just play for them a lot or???
By selecting the corresponding career and factions.

4) Anyone have an active group looking for a light mech main? Posted Image
Sorry, but "Light mech main" means exactly nothing in FP. An undertonned, undergunned drop deck is the best way to ensure your team's failure. Get comfortable using heavy and assault mechs, you will need them.

Edited by Horseman, 11 September 2020 - 03:20 PM.

#12 Seven Strikes

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:05 PM

Thanks for the helpful information guys. Much appreciated.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users