The Shadowhawk... If You Have One, Which Second One Would You Get?

19 replies to this topic

#1 Lithology

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 141 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 05 September 2020 - 09:06 PM

The title says a lot... I have a SHD-2D, and really enjoy what it brings to the battlefield. So, I am looking at possibly getting another (but different) Shadowhawk to add to the collection. In your opinion, is there a strong front runner, or one that I should absolutely steer clear of?

Any strength/weakness items you wish to include for the variants you know and use could be helpful to many... including me, obviously. Thanks!

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:07 AM

View PostLithology, on 05 September 2020 - 09:06 PM, said:

The Shadowhawk... If You Have One, Which Second One Would You Get?

SHD-2K outfitted as brawler works for me. It has got "massive" shield arms that act as damage sponges and it can lose both of them without losing any firepower.

I admit that opinion might be biased since it was one of my first MWO 'Mechs. Posted Image

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:12 AM

I second the 2K. Fun brawler.
Also, the 2H, which can mount 3 RAC2.

#4 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:09 AM

I use my Shadowhawk 2H as my all-purpose Quickplay Medium. It's designed to find a big 'mech and support it with Hunchbuddy tactics: stick with your big, shoot what they shoot, and punish Lights who harass them.

Go heavy on the weapons tree, then survivability and the left-hand branch of the sensor tree for Radar Deprivation 60%. Its blocky architecture spreads damage well if you torso twist, and it can put out a fair amount of firepower in a cinch (used it in Faction Play scouting; the clanners look so surprised when they die.)

Edited by Void Angel, 10 October 2021 - 07:01 PM.

#5 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:26 AM

2D2 with LB10 + 4SRM4 is the single best Shadow Hawk.

2H with 3RAC2 is fine.

2K with some energy + 3ASRM6 is fine.

5M with UAC10 + UAC5 is fine.

2D and GD are clearly worse than the others. I have a GD for the sake of liking the chassis so much but never got around to buying a 2D since it doesnt really do anything other variants would not do better.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:16 AM

View PostGagis, on 06 September 2020 - 01:26 AM, said:

2D and GD are clearly worse than the others. I have a GD for the sake of liking the chassis so much but never got around to buying a 2D since it doesnt really do anything other variants would not do better.

My feelings exactly.

I have never bought "Gray Death" because there is not much sense in spending cash on a 'Mech, while C-Bills variants are equal if not better.

#7 Lithology

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 141 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:25 PM

I have more C-Bills than I know what to do with, so I won't be picking up a "Gray Death" anytime in the future... and I think most of us are tired of playing Hero Mechs after this long Hero Mech Event.

I appreciate the feedback... I haven't played my Shadowhawk in many months, but it seems I was using my -2D in a similar manner to the -2H build and role that Void Angel was using (MRMs v. SRMs, though). I like and have the most fun supporting elements of the team and being a role player, so that has worked for me in the past... and since I am a casual player, that supports my overall playstyle, as well.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! Hope to see you on the battlefield every now and again...

#8 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,761 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 28 September 2020 - 08:35 PM

I like the GD. It's a fun mech but just buy it with MC earned during events, or if the Mastery Pack ever goes on sale for at least 50% off.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#9 Nix Axer

• 1,080 posts
  • LocationMariupol

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:26 AM

#10 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 21 December 2021 - 11:59 PM

View PostGagis, on 06 September 2020 - 01:26 AM, said:

The 2D's uniqueness used to come from its cooldown quirks which enabled two AC20 shots in the span of 3 seconds, nearly synchronized with SRM4 cooldown. It was 15% ballistic cooldown. So if you fought someone with a big alpha with 4+ second cooldown weapons, you can squeeze in two shots in exchange for one of his (obviously requires a scenario where there's only one ridge/corner between you and them).

These days its uniqueness comes from the addition of a generous generic 10% Heat quirk and Crit Chance Receiving quirk. Heat quirk / skill-tree actually has increasing returns rather than diminishing returns, so this actually boosts your ATO (Alphas To Overheat) from ~8 to ~14 (so a 10% Heat quirk increases ATO by 75%). The Crit Chance Receiving quirk also helps retain the AC20 all the way until the left shoulder is completely destroyed.

This mech in the AC20 + 3×SRM4 config now really excels in a sustained brawl against slower enemies that can't escape from it. You essentially can crank out 630+ damage before overheat. You can crank that out in 40 seconds.

The tricky part of course is getting into range. It's a rather slow medium, only moving ~78kph, so some games you'll struggle to close in. It's feast or famine, but when you do get to feast, it's amazing.

Edited by YueFei, 21 December 2021 - 11:59 PM.

#11 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 22 December 2021 - 12:20 AM

View PostYueFei, on 21 December 2021 - 11:59 PM, said:

These days its uniqueness comes from the addition of a generous generic 10% Heat quirk

Is that a heat generation reduction quirk?

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,782 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 12:58 AM

View PostLithology, on 28 September 2020 - 08:25 PM, said:

I haven't played my Shadowhawk in many months, but it seems I was using my -2D in a similar manner to the -2H build and role that Void Angel was using (MRMs v. SRMs, though).

Sometimes it is fun to return to a long unused 'Mech.

#13 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 11:39 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 22 December 2021 - 12:20 AM, said:

Is that a heat generation reduction quirk?

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry if it was ambiguous.

These were the patch notes where the "-10% heat" quirk was added for the SHD-2D:
https://mwomercs.com...24-august-2021/

When I tried it again after the patch, I could feel a major difference. Whereas before I had to somewhat manage the heat, but after the patch, you can effectively shoot almost forever. Along with the added armor quirk and structure quirks, and the crit chance receiving quirk, the mech is also more durable than it has ever been before.

#14 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 December 2021 - 08:02 PM

View PostYueFei, on 22 December 2021 - 11:39 AM, said:

Yes, that's what I meant, sorry if it was ambiguous.

These were the patch notes where the "-10% heat" quirk was added for the SHD-2D:
https://mwomercs.com...24-august-2021/

When I tried it again after the patch, I could feel a major difference. Whereas before I had to somewhat manage the heat, but after the patch, you can effectively shoot almost forever. Along with the added armor quirk and structure quirks, and the crit chance receiving quirk, the mech is also more durable than it has ever been before.

Nifty, That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to be completely sure - I wasn't aware that heat gen quirks had increasing returns like cooldown reduction, although it makes sense now that I think about it.

#15 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 25 December 2021 - 12:01 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 24 December 2021 - 08:02 PM, said:

Nifty, That's what I thought you meant, but I wanted to be completely sure - I wasn't aware that heat gen quirks had increasing returns like cooldown reduction, although it makes sense now that I think about it.

Yup. What matters is net heat per alpha strike. E.g., if you generate 12 heat per alpha strike, and cool 6 heat between alpha strikes, it's a net heat of 6 heat per alpha strike. A 10% heat reduction would be 10.5 heat per alpha strike, which would actually be a net heat of 4.5 heat. That means you go from 6 net heat to 4.5 net heat, which is a 25% reduction.

If, previously, you only got that 10% heat reduction from the Skill Tree, that's all you could get. But imagine you got 10% heat reduction from quirks alone, and then stacked the 10% heat reduction from Skill Tree on top of that. You'd generate 9 heat per alpha, and dissipate 6 heat between alpha strikes. You'd go all the way to 3 net heat (from the original of 6 net heat). That's a 50% reduction in net heat per alpha, which translates to double the number of Alphas-To-Overheat.

That's how Heat Reduction quirks / skill tree nodes have increasing returns. Each additional 1% heat reduction results in more ability to fire than the previous 1% heat reduction did.

#16 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 December 2021 - 07:41 PM

View PostYueFei, on 25 December 2021 - 12:01 AM, said:

Yup. What matters is net heat per alpha strike. E.g., if you generate 12 heat per alpha strike, and cool 6 heat between alpha strikes, it's a net heat of 6 heat per alpha strike. A 10% heat reduction would be 10.5 heat per alpha strike,

Don't you mean 10.8? I think you're still correct, but I think you had a computational error creep into your math.

This does seem to work a bit differently than the cooldown reduction, but I guess the formulas are different. With CDR they coded it wrong, and just declined to fix it because it was too much work for too small a difference.

#17 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 October 2023 - 10:53 PM

Just got myself the GrayDeath Hero version. Anyone got any good builds on it?

(only reason I did was because I just got done reading the Gray Death Legion trilogy-just to have it in my stable) I normally play Assault and Heavy.

#18 stripped

• PipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 80 posts
  • LocationGermania superior

Posted 24 October 2023 - 05:41 AM

I run my GD like this, adjust the armor ad libitum. On its own it is a rough ride, so I usually orbit my fatties.

https://mwo.nav-alph...d7f69a4a_SHD-GD

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,597 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 24 October 2023 - 12:12 PM

View PostRondoe, on 23 October 2023 - 10:53 PM, said:

Just got myself the GrayDeath Hero version. Anyone got any good builds on it?

(only reason I did was because I just got done reading the Gray Death Legion trilogy-just to have it in my stable) I normally play Assault and Heavy.

Shadow Hawks are good 'mechs, and quite XL friendly. I'd go for This Build for close-range, and This One for medium-range engagement. Play it like a mobile firepower platform, and try not to slug it out with anyone - you'll get best results by using your agility to engage alongside larger 'mechs

#20 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,087 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 October 2023 - 09:26 PM

i own 2 Shadowhawks and they both do really well for me. SHDs are actually pretty good mechs for their tonnage if they tend to be a bit on the slower side for a medium mech. the ones i have are the 2K and the GD (the Gray Death was a free mech at some point) the builds i have are not exactly meta but they are fun and effective.

SHD-2K (3 L-PPCs, 2 SRM-6 (3t ammo, 1 AMS (1t ammo) running an LE-285 with 4 DHS, 2 JJs, and Endo)

build code-- AJ2820o0|i^|OG|Sg|OGp[0|7@|7@|i^|i^q[0|i^|G@|G@|G@|f?r20s20t]0|\Ou]0|\O|\OvB0|AOw909090

(the 2K also does well with an MRM-20 instead of the 2 SRM-6s if you want a bit more range on the missiles.)

SHD-GD (1 AC/10 (2 1/2t ammo), 1 MRM-20 (1 1/2t ammo), 2 ER MLs, 1 AMS (1/2t ammo) running an LE 270 with LFF, and Endo)

build code-- AO3:2001|Pgp\0|Y@q\0|l?|dO|f?r00sT0|F@|F@tV0|GO|GOuV0|HP|GPvA0|aOw808080

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users