Will There Be New Mechs In The Near Future?

25 replies to this topic

#1 Lysander Davion

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 03:51 AM

Just asking. It has been a while.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,757 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:03 AM

View PostLysander Davion, on 06 September 2020 - 03:51 AM, said:

Will There Be New Mechs In The Near Future?

Just asking. It has been a while.

No.

#3 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:08 AM

Very, very, very, very unlikely....mh maybe I should put another "very" in there to be sure ^_^

#4 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,409 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:27 AM

I did propose MWO include a new "Champion+" mech for the popular mechs (and perhaps for every mech), bonus being:

We have another suggestion for Champion (c) mechs:
+20% MC Bills (NEW), and
+30% XP Points (OLD)

Details as outlined here:
http://mwomercs.com/...c-mech-variants

- - - - - - - -
We feel that with very few people are buying Champion (C) mechs, representing lost "MC" revenue for this game!

We feel that this may further entice players to play (C) mechs more, especially if this game creates new Champion (C) mechs same as the very popular ones we are already using ("The Meta").

MCII-B (C), with +20% CBills bonus, anyone? (I'll jump at it!)
MAD-IIC-D (C), +20% CBills bonus
COR-7A (C), +20% CBills bonus
FLE-20 (C), +20% CBills bonus
KGC-0000 (C), +20% CBills bonus
ANH-2A (C), +20% CBills bonus (yes, I have the (S) special variant, but not every can get it. Hence (C) variant).

~Just add your own favorite non-Hero mech into this list!!

(Yes, you can consider above my own personal Feature Request to incentivize Champion Mechs for buying).

Edited by w0qj, 06 September 2020 - 04:28 AM.

#5 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:02 AM

Logic dictates that the answer is "no."

MW:O is on "maintenance mode," meaning that the only effort they're putting into the game is minimal at best. That means no effort spent on new content.

Hell, all of this came about around the release of MW5, and they're not even able to keep up with developing that. Most of the significant happenings with MW5 come from the community of modders, not from PGI itself.

#6 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 06:34 AM

Well they are working on MW5. No news dosn't mean they stopped. Also there where some small news but as usual PGI keeps to themself and dosn't share much.

Partial I can understand that with how the community tends to react.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:00 PM

Back in May 31, 2019, Russ announced that henceforth MWO would be effectively in a minimal effort maintenance mode. At that time he did state that one more special mech might be released at some point in the future. Given that we are over a year since then, and no new mech has been released, I would say the chances of any new mech being release at this point is extremely slim. But it's Russ we are dealing with here, so who knows.

#8 -Mean Machine Angel-

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 12:53 PM

There wont be.PGI drove away their player base with constant lies and just terrible patches etc over the years.More people stopped buying mech packs so PGI said because no one is buying them its not worth their time/money to do new ones.Failing to realise that they would still be selling mech packs if they werent lazy and full of **** :) Basically.

#9 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

Was waiting and hoping for the hatchet-man. But knowing now, that is not going to happen.

#10 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 06 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

Yes. In a future where pgi doesn't have the video game license any more. Eventually you or one of your long long long long decendents will be able to make your own mods for a mech warrior game on steam.just remember pgi's motto: Soon. tm etc bs what evr

#11 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:15 PM

MWOWC should have had the winners design a mech variant. Could be treated as a normal hero mech as far as currency costs. Obviously it would take a bit of back and forth with regards to quirks/hardpoints to make it good but not absurd. Would be a great thing to compete for and a cool thank you from pgi.

That's what I would've done, but lol.

Edited by thievingmagpi, 06 September 2020 - 04:20 PM.

#12 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 05:00 PM

no

#13 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 07 September 2020 - 06:19 AM

PGI doesn’t need to sell mechpaks anymore, they are drowning under an ongoing avalanche of sales from MW5 as predicted.

Edited by Ryokens leap, 07 September 2020 - 06:20 AM.

#14 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 08:00 AM

I think everyone who wants a new mech should gather outside of PGI HQ, then storm the place put Russ in a locker and tell the artist to start working on new mechs. Russ will pay, promise.
Then we could hang around with the team and discuss what to do with the franchise and MWO in the future....ah sweet dreams... ^_^

#15 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:11 PM

A big incentive to buy mech packs was to access new mechs months before everyone else could, but if PGI stops releasing new mechs, then you lose that incentive. Not to mention new players never had a chance to even experience that incentive.

MC priced mechs are missing a replacement time boost, such as having access to more then the default 91 skill points (99 skill points ?) : That would instantly sell a whole lot of MC priced mechs.

To keep it free to play, Cbill priced mechs just purchased could start with a maximum of 91 skill points, but then unlock one extra skill point per month for the next 8 months until they also reach the 99 skill points of the MC priced mechs.

Then you've restored the old feature of spending MC to skip months of waiting to unlock something.

#16 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 07 September 2020 - 01:18 PM

View PostWarning incoming Humble Dexterer, on 07 September 2020 - 01:11 PM, said:

To keep it free to play, Cbill priced mechs just purchased could start with a maximum of 91 skill points, but then unlock one extra skill point per month for the next 8 months until they also reach the 99 skill points of the MC priced mechs.

Then you've restored the old feature of spending MC to skip months of waiting to unlock something.

I'd rather see mechs gain prestige points: You unlock 91 nodes, hit prestige, your XP/nodes are reset and your max nodes increases to 92. Repeat until we get to 99.

#17 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:25 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 07 September 2020 - 01:18 PM, said:

I'd rather see mechs gain prestige points: You unlock 91 nodes, hit prestige, your XP/nodes are reset and your max nodes increases to 92. Repeat until we get to 99.
Ugh no. That would add way too much grind to the game.

#18 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,475 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 08 September 2020 - 02:43 AM

In order to make people buy a new mech, pgi would have to commit to keeping mwo going for at least another year or two, otherwise there isn't enough guaranteed playtime. And even if they did that, is there enough interest in more mechs to make a profit?

I mean its not like there is a shortage of mechs in the game, seems to me that mechs is the one thing this game has more than enough of. There is a lack of content in all other areas such as maps, game modes, lore descriptions and so on. But there is tons of mechs, arguably more than the game needs. Imo the failure to meaningfully monetize other aspects of the game has led to an overdevelopment in terms of mechs and underdevelopment of the rest of the game, with such imbalance mechs were doomed to eventually become unprofitable.

And do they even still have those employees needed for mech development there? Modelers, Alex, texture artists etc? No idea, but it wouldn't surprise me if they don't, it doesn't make sense to have idling employees, so unless something huge is happening behind the scenes my guess is they're all gone.

#19 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 08 September 2020 - 03:10 AM

Apparently MWO mechpacks no longer make a profit. And from a gameplay perspective, and compounded by the comparatively free customization in MWO, this game is really past the point where it NEEDS more 'mechs. Any way you could want to play this game, you already can.

I think it's interesting though if PGI, at any point, decides to model a new 'mech for MW5:M -- which I guess is a far more feasible proposition. Would they transfer the model to MWO too?

#20 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,777 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 04:52 AM

nope.

View PostWillard Phule, on 06 September 2020 - 05:02 AM, said:

Logic dictates that the answer is "no."

MW:O is on "maintenance mode," meaning that the only effort they're putting into the game is minimal at best. That means no effort spent on new content.

Hell, all of this came about around the release of MW5, and they're not even able to keep up with developing that. Most of the significant happenings with MW5 come from the community of modders, not from PGI itself.

pgi hasn't done anything to foster any kind of brand loyalty. in the future i will see their logo as a giant 'do not buy' sticker.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users