Mechwarrior 4 Impression

5 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 September 2020 - 04:43 PM

Okay so after struggling to get the game working, when finally working I had a blast. Controls were familiar enough, though MWO is a LOT more friendly especially with it being more familiar with modern FPS shooters of late - the MW4 feels more of a vehicle.

I've been running Solaris in Instant Action, and I gotta say Duncan Fisher is one cool guy. My main build is actually a Shadowhawk with 2x SRM4 + Clan UAC5 + 4x Clan ERSL, while my other main is MadCat with 4x SRM4 + 2x Clan UAC5 + 4x ERSL.

I gotta say, MWO's missile SFX is quite lame in comparison -- and that is an older mech game. And the stream-fired SRM with burst-fired Clan UAC5, I have to say they felt a lot better to play than the Shotgun-esque SRM of MWO.

Also there's weird weapons there, like RAC10 and RAC20s for the clans, and they are broken as hell -- on the other side. RAC10s and RAC20s seems to be hot -- of course I'm using the ModDB weapon rebalance mod, so maybe that's it.

I have to say, with MW4's fun gameplay and SFX, MWO in comparison is quite disappointing, especially how weapons work. I am more inclined with stream-fired missiles than the basically slow-*** shotgun pellets that MWO and MW5 have. I will look forward to making all missile-weapons on MW5 stream-fired.

So far, the only thing I could applaud MWO is it's quality of life improvement, because execution isn't that good.

#2 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,711 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 01:43 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 11 September 2020 - 04:43 PM, said:

Also there's weird weapons there, like RAC10 and RAC20s for the clans, and they are broken as hell -- on the other side. RAC10s and RAC20s seems to be hot -- of course I'm using the ModDB weapon rebalance mod, so maybe that's it.

Well, using some fan-made Mary Suish weapons that were not a part of the original game designers' intent often makes strange things with the game balance.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 12 September 2020 - 03:07 PM

View Postmartian, on 12 September 2020 - 01:43 AM, said:

Well, using some fan-made Mary Suish weapons that were not a part of the original game designers' intent often makes strange things with the game balance.

Eh well, the guy did use lore-based stats, just poorly done like SPLs having too much damage and heat for little cooldown.

Also RAC10s and RAC20s are also NOT canon.

#4 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 01:59 AM

IMPRESSION 2:
I removed the mod, since the guy just retardedly changed the tonnage, damage and heat, along with slots that changed the weapon distribution.

That being said, now that I am a MWO veteran, PPFLD is ******* king, and it's made worse that Lasers are also PPFLD. I've been wrecking Solaris with a AC-Vomit -- Heavy MLS + LB20Xs, and I just blew up one component after another. Granted, the more sluggish feel of piloting in general, it's harder to torso twist, and the confusing paper-doll isn't of help.

Now that I played MW4, I am having fun, and really well MWO is such a step-down in terms of nuance, I hope that MW5 would be much better -- at least could be fixed with mods.

#5 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 13 September 2020 - 05:51 AM

Don't expect much from MW5. MWO does several things well, but they were determined to distinguish themselves from previous titles so some of the good of previous titles they cut.

#6 MW Waldorf Statler

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,457 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 27 November 2020 - 12:37 PM

the old Days with MW4 and Mektek https://static.mwomercs.com/forums//public/style_emoticons/default/biggrin.pngand my old days of Mapmaking as CCC Ranger

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 27 November 2020 - 12:43 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users