Please Fix Ams And Lams

4 replies to this topic

#1 Ghoja

• PipPipPip
  • The Merciless
  • The Merciless
  • 91 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:33 PM

I'm not sure if my AMS is shooting THROUGH buildings/mountains/etc to actually hit missiles or not, but it'd be REALLY nice if it followed LOS and only shot missiles it actually could shoot. Would make LAMS more plausible and reg AMS more weight efficient. I shouldn't be shooting at missiles fired at my buddy on the other side of terrain that I can't see meanwhile I'm dying to lurms from my side of the terrain.

Edited by Ghoja, 05 September 2020 - 11:36 PM.

#2 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 04:12 AM

Yes that should be a thing.

#3 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 11:03 PM

Could always toggle AMS to off when its being waste full
AMS Management, Get Guid hahaha
Posted Image

#4 ambosen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Aggressor
  • The Aggressor
  • 123 posts

Posted 10 September 2020 - 08:12 PM

Sounds more like his issue is with the fact that it can literally shoot through solid objects, targeting missiles that realistically have no chance at all of hitting his mech, or any allied mechs on the same side of a fairly large, solid object.

You gotta admit, it's not just an annoying bug visually, it does represent a very real play balance issue where in certain specific situations you could say, take a small group of mechs with multiple AMS systems park them in a tunnel, ravine, ect and use them to just completely negate missiles being fired at nearby friendly forces with no risk whatsoever of coming into danger, provided they stay buttoned up.

There's also the fact that if the AMS systems require a simulated line of sight, this creates tactical ramifications where to get the best effect while supporting friendlies, a mech with an AMS now has to stick fairly close to them, yet also far enough away to have visibility as they already have to to provide a similar (reduced targeting visibility, inability to target with missiles within a set range) with ECM systems.

No more, say, sneaking up into terrain directly behind inattentive missile boats and killing most of their missiles en-route, would also favor a more proactive and aggressive playstyle then the old "hide behind terrain and shoot missiles until the AMS runs out or the missiles do" technique you often see.

#5 chevy42083

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 114 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 01:17 PM

I bet its mostly a programming issue...simply VERY complex.

However, they do prioritize YOU.... so you'll never be wasting AMS on a friendly behind a hill while you get hammered.

I've actually never paid attention to see if its popping off AMS rounds while I'm under cover. But it does seem like I've seen other's coming up through the parking garage/decks on river city and Crimson Straight.

I admit, I'd never considered parking near the enemy LRM boat... I'm gonna try that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users