Allow Dead Players To Take Over Afk Or Disco Mechs

5 replies to this topic

#1 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 15 September 2020 - 08:17 AM

Can we let dead players take over AFK or Disco Mechs? If there is no input for 30 - 60 seconds (30 seems to short, 60 too long) then let a dead player take control of the AFK/Disco.

This would be really fun to use their build and not be the penalty we have today fighting with one less assault mech. :)

Would be pretty hard I suppose:
- Weapon group mapping. Temporary mapping that reverts when the squatter is evicted?
- Kicking the squatter when the owner rejoins
- Deciding who gets right of first refusal to take over the mech - first to die, no headshot victims allowed?

Still, what other online game has this feature?

Sorry if this is a dupe - I searched, but found nothing.

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:39 AM

View PostShmoken, on 15 September 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

Can we let dead players take over AFK or Disco Mechs? If there is no input for 30 - 60 seconds (30 seems to short, 60 too long) then let a dead player take control of the AFK/Disco.

What if I am simply waiting for my 'Mech to cool down (without touching the keyboard), or planning my next move, or waiting for the enemy group to move away so I can get behind them?

I would not be happy to see my 'Mech destroyed by somebody who is so bad player that he has already lost his original 'Mech.

#3 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:44 AM

View Postmartian, on 15 September 2020 - 10:39 AM, said:

What if I am simply waiting for my 'Mech to cool down (without touching the keyboard), or planning my next move, or waiting for the enemy group to move away so I can get behind them?

I would not be happy to see my 'Mech destroyed by somebody who is so bad player that he has already lost his original 'Mech.

Oh yeah, I totally agree.

Are you ever perfectly still with zero user input (keyboard, mouse, joystick) for 30 or 45 seconds? Sniping or standing shouldn't count against you. You'll be mouse looking, checking the map, using comms, etc so it should be measurable, even if powered down.

Maybe you get a warning after 30 seconds, "PlayerX is requesting control of your mech. Press any key to veto. You have 10 seconds to comply."

That player has to be dead, so a beer run to the fridge at the start of a match should not result in an unwanted squatter possessing your mech. It's pretty hard to die within 30 seconds of the start of a match unless you are a light on a suicide mission.

Edited by Shmoken, 15 September 2020 - 10:50 AM.

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 10:59 AM

View PostShmoken, on 15 September 2020 - 10:44 AM, said:

Oh yeah, I totally agree.

Are you ever perfectly still with zero user input (keyboard, mouse, joystick) for 30 or 45 seconds? Sniping or standing shouldn't count against you. You'll be mouse looking, checking the map, using comms, etc so it should be measurable, even if powered down.

I have no problem with standing still: I know that no amount of keyboard work is going to make my 'Mech to cool down faster, so why touch the keyboard?
Or when when waiting for enemy 'Mech(s) to move away, standing still is often the best tactics.

Maybe you get a warning after 30 seconds, "PlayerX is requesting control of your mech. Press any key to veto. You have 10 seconds to comply."

Why complicate the game?

That player has to be dead, so a beer run to the fridge at the start of a match should not result in an unwanted squatter possessing your mech. It's pretty hard to die within 30 seconds of the start of a match unless you are a light on a suicide mission.

How I see it, the loser, who has already lost his 'Mech shortly after the beginning of the game and who is going to end up with a two-digit score, has no right to tell somebody what to do, much less to take somebody's 'Mech.

#5 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 11:27 AM

It's super frustrating to play one player down and see the mech go to waste. When it's the other team and we kill the abandoned Annihilator I feel bad for the other team. Would have been more fun to have it in the fight than not at all.

Also, the original owner could take back the mech as soon as they reconnect.

As for me, when the game crashes at the start of the round, I'd like to know someone had an opportunity to move it out of spawn and at least try to fight off the spawn disco poachers.

I see your point, and there would always be an opportunity for abuse. I don't think most players would rush out and die on purpose in order to pilot someone else's mech. But, if it can be done, people will do it.

Edited by Shmoken, 15 September 2020 - 11:29 AM.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 16 September 2020 - 05:32 AM

View PostShmoken, on 15 September 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

It's super frustrating to play one player down and see the mech go to waste. When it's the other team and we kill the abandoned Annihilator I feel bad for the other team. Would have been more fun to have it in the fight than not at all.

Also, the original owner could take back the mech as soon as they reconnect.

As for me, when the game crashes at the start of the round, I'd like to know someone had an opportunity to move it out of spawn and at least try to fight off the spawn disco poachers.

I still feel that it would add an unnecessary complication. A disconnected player can reconnect and AFK can resume activity at any moment.

View PostShmoken, on 15 September 2020 - 11:27 AM, said:

I see your point, and there would always be an opportunity for abuse. I don't think most players would rush out and die on purpose in order to pilot someone else's mech. But, if it can be done, people will do it.

In MWO I have seen all kinds of abuse of something and too many cases of simple stupidity.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users