King Crab Hero "spandau"

8 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 17 September 2020 - 02:21 AM

I know that MWO is maintenance mode which is basically dead, but I still have a few hero-mech ideas left. I could possibly do it in MW5, once it releases on steam. In the mean time, hows about a bit of theory crafting?

Spoiler

I remember some guy asking for an 8-Ballistic King-Crab, also an ECM since it's a walking barn with LRM-magnet torso, but the thing is that 8-B isn't exactly that useful considering that realistically 4B is fine with basic dakka builds, 6B is already pushing it with the AC2 plinks due to generally heavy IS equipment, so the realistic builds there was just machine-guns. That being said, there are OTHER weapons, and that was the Light ACs -- shame it wasn't implemented in Civil War.

With Light AC, the 8B can be implemented less as a joke. It also only have 1E and 1M hardpoints, so realistically it's the least flexible hero versus the Kaiju.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 17 September 2020 - 02:21 AM.

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

An ECM King Crab with 8 ballastic hard points (ie: 4x ballastic hard point on each arm).
One can only realistically put in so many ballastic weapons into one arm, so ending with some/all of it machine guns.
Which is not a big deal, since the "000" King Crab version already has 3x ballastic hard point on each arm.
Sounds good to me!

[Edit: Amended for accuracy, to: "to the "000" King Crab version already has 3x ballastic hard point on each arm."]

May I propose you design a 2nd King Crab, named "Ballet" also!
Posted Image

(Oops, does this hint at my age?...)

Edited by w0qj, 18 September 2020 - 01:09 PM.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:13 PM

The 000 has 3 Ballistic Hardpoints per arm and no, this would inflate the hardpoints on the KGC, because ECM is also a hardpoint. AC2s take up the same amount of slots as a MG. This is a very cherrypicked build and would directly make the 000 obsolete, inducing some pay2win into the game.

#4 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:22 PM

Looks like this thread was posted in the wrong section, so I've moved it to Feature Suggestions.

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:27 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 17 September 2020 - 08:13 PM, said:

The 000 has 3 Ballistic Hardpoints per arm and no, this would inflate the hardpoints on the KGC, because ECM is also a hardpoint. AC2s take up the same amount of slots as a MG. This is a very cherrypicked build and would directly make the 000 obsolete, inducing some pay2win into the game.

You'd "win" with an 8x UAC2 on an IS mech?

Slot isn't the problem, it's the tonnage. Clan can get away with 8 UAC2s, because they are hella light with XL engines that survive a torso.

000 is bolstered by quirks and the fact that you can at least put extra energies on it, this doesn't.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 18 September 2020 - 01:27 AM.

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:48 AM

Can't fit 4 UAC2's on an arm, anyway.
The point stands, that you'd have to apply your general hardpoint rules and if not, the Hero would just be plain better than the other variants. It doesnt win automatically, of course.

#7 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,697 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:16 AM

Counterproposal: 8 ballistic, no other hardpoints. Or 2B, 2E, 2M, ECM and RAC quirks. :P

#8 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:27 PM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 18 September 2020 - 03:48 AM, said:

Can't fit 4 UAC2's on an arm, anyway.
The point stands, that you'd have to apply your general hardpoint rules and if not, the Hero would just be plain better than the other variants. It doesnt win automatically, of course.

There are plenty of other heroes that have more hardpoints -- Ultraviolet, Top-Dog, this is different for a completely different reason. And if it doesn't win automatically, then where does this ire comes from?

Likewise, the "better variant because more hardpoint" is just garbage reason, the hardpoint only really comes into play if you can utilize them all, and so if you're going to use heavy acs such as AC20, the extra 6 hardpoints won't matter, if you're going to do 4x UAC5s, the extra 4 hardpoints won't matter -- and in fact, the loss of torso hardpoints would also matter in those instances. 2x AC20 or 4x UAC5 is more potent to an assault because you can also put pokability with large-lasers and PPCs with them, or more brawl with SRMs. Less torso hardpoints means less damage output for those kind of builds.

Also okay, sure, add MGs on something like 4x UAC5, or 2x LB10X, or 4x RAC2s or 2x RAC5s -- are those really defensible builds? You know these are powerful on their own, and having extra 2 to 4 MGs ain't going to be much of a difference.

Needless to say, it's the best variant not because it has more hardpoints, it is the best variant because it has goddamn ECM. Imagine how game-changing a 2x AC20 or 4x UAC5 build with ECM, or 4x LGR, or 2x GR. You know you can stealth-armor the King Crab with that right? **** homing weapons if that's the case.

As for your "ECM is also a hardpoint", my retort is thus: "AMS is also a hardpoint".

But haaay, Ultraviolence says Hi!

#9 Lithology

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 141 posts
  • LocationAnchorage, AK

Posted 22 September 2020 - 08:50 AM

May I propose you design a 2nd King Crab, named "Ballet" also!
Posted Image

(Oops, does this hint at my age?...)

^^ I know this much is true. ^^ Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users