Gg Pgi

44 replies to this topic

#1 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

So... Between a new psr that activity punishes light Mechs and promotes trash lrms, and consistent 1 assault v 5-7 assaults on a team, there is something amiss in the game atm...

#2 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 05:43 PM

something amiss you say? do go on old chap, I say...

#3 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 17 September 2020 - 06:13 PM

There does seem to be A LOT of Assaults being used in the game lately.

Seems like a player thing to me.

Edited by Bolo Atari, 17 September 2020 - 06:13 PM.

#4 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 07:26 PM

It's more about the balance being off with the drops. If both side had the same amount, it would be fine, but the issues I'm complaining about are more to one team getting 5-7 assaults, and the other gets 1 - 3. It's busted... bad.

Beyond that the weight raw damage gets scaled to for PSR is sooo painfully out of wack that unless you're god tier dps light, playing lights is the fastest way to loose psr.

What, you're a tolerable MLX pilot, and put out 300ish pts of damage, and your team won, and you capped 5 nodes, and got 3 kmdds, 1 kb? PS down... "Get good, scrub"...

Lord help you if you pilot Ravens, or other low weapon volume mechs... GL getting 400+ damage with 1 - 2 weapons, even when you do work and play god tier.

The game is off balance in a bad way, worse than the light rescale of 2017 that killed the Panther and a hand full of others.

I still love the game, I do, but man this is getting frustrating as hell.

#5 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 17 September 2020 - 08:29 PM

View PostBlind Baku, on 17 September 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

So... Between a new psr that activity punishes light Mechs and promotes trash lrms, and consistent 1 assault v 5-7 assaults on a team, there is something amiss in the game atm...

Russ Bullock and Paul Inouye are okay with the tonnage imbalance and matchmaking.

Have fun and buy 'Mech Packs.

#6 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:25 AM

I tanked my stats last night playing Assaults and Heavies, but almost recovered with a win streak in my Flea. There's more to this than your weight class and tonnage imbalance. But I agree that something's gone wonky.

#7 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:52 AM

Well since it is currently $40 for 4 assault/heavies one can expect a lot of them - I mean, I bought it I might want to play it.

#8 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:50 AM

You are completely disregarding one of the most tried and true traditions of PGI....if there's something wrong with the game and it's not addressed, it is considered a "feature" and not a "bug."

Applying that axiom to the current situation, you can see clearly that this was designed to be this way and is working as intended.

#9 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:52 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 September 2020 - 03:25 AM, said:

I tanked my stats last night playing Assaults and Heavies, but almost recovered with a win streak in my Flea. There's more to this than your weight class and tonnage imbalance. But I agree that something's gone wonky.

I feel that a few good matched in a dps light (6sml/spl on a flea/LCT, or 5-6 ml/mpls on a wolf hound, etc) but I honestly feel like they've really got to sort out some way to scale the value of damage. 300 pts damage in a non-meta light (MLX, PNT, RVN) is damn good most of the time, so why is my psr taking a dive on those matches? (Specifically on wins). I mean, these fans in not at1 pilot, I get that, but at this rate I may just keep piloting the Mechs I like and be t5 and get that death star... As much as I hate seal clubbing

#10 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:29 AM

View Postmartian, on 17 September 2020 - 08:29 PM, said:

Russ Bullock and Paul Inouye are okay with the tonnage imbalance and matchmaking.

Have fun and buy 'Mech Packs.

I’m fine with weight imbalance. Not that it’s a good thing, it is just a matter of weighing against other considerations like psr balance and queue wait times.

The whole PSR debacle is because PGI has “listened to the community”. PGI had the right idea to base psr on win/loss, pure and simple. This requires no delicate balancing, no changes to match scores, and does not hurt light mechs. Then a bunch of vocal self-appointed “community representatives” decided that they have better ideas and that they should design the PSR system in the name of the rest of us. PGI foolishly agreed to let this be “designed by a community” and the result is as expected from such an endeavor.

Still the current psr system is better than what we had before, where everyone were tier1.

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 06:46 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 18 September 2020 - 06:29 AM, said:

I’m fine with weight imbalance. Not that it’s a good thing, it is just a matter of weighing against other considerations like psr balance and queue wait times.

The whole PSR debacle is because PGI has “listened to the community”. PGI had the right idea to base psr on win/loss, pure and simple. This requires no delicate balancing, no changes to match scores, and does not hurt light mechs. Then a bunch of vocal self-appointed “community representatives” decided that they have better ideas and that they should design the PSR system in the name of the rest of us. PGI foolishly agreed to let this be “designed by a community” and the result is as expected from such an endeavor.

Still the current psr system is better than what we had before, where everyone were tier1.

Except the "community" said to start new players out at T5 and Paul decided there weren't enough baby seals for the T1s to club, so he started them at T3.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:20 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 18 September 2020 - 06:46 AM, said:

Except the "community" said to start new players out at T5 and Paul decided there weren't enough baby seals for the T1s to club, so he started them at T3.

How does that matter?

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:25 AM

best thing you can do is hook up with other lights and form a wolfpack, then you can eat assaults for breakfast.

lethargic play is really bad for lights. keeping moving is critical for their survival. so when the team decides to play a turret match that puts the light pilots at a disadvantage. your options at that point is play rear guard, go off on your own or form a wolf pack.

contrary to popular belief, lights are also very bad at defending assaults, they just dont have the stopping power that mediums do in the same role and can not dispatch other lights as quickly as needed to save an assault. going off alone can be feast or famine (usually the latter) based on your build and skill set. most lights run a short range loadout and have to move to do damage. wolf packing is the only remaining option. though i suppose you can do something stupid, like make your light builds lermy campy.

now when assaults are doing their job, assaulting, then lights can be more out and about as the team is moving as a result.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 September 2020 - 07:26 AM.

#14 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 18 September 2020 - 07:31 AM

A light or two can also distract the enemy team by base capping long enough to draw off a couple of their mechs or make them think you're flanking on the left when the main body of your team is coming from the right. Stuff like that.

#15 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 18 September 2020 - 11:25 AM

I am not seeing anything out of the ordinary in my games in regard to team balance or light mechs being particularly punished. There are good mechs and everything else in every weight class, and since re-scale they have been known and easily identified by even new players. Play the good ones and even a mediocre/low skill player can have reasonable success.

As far as the whole tonnage disparity thing, its a coin flip. Also keep in mind that with the event, tonnage is getting thrown off even more so than normal, as those that play in groups are quite often playing complementary or the same mechs to get the event done (e.g. as a two man last night we were both in PBs...that leaves a lot of tonnage behind).

#16 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,069 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:04 PM

Had a t5 match with my jenner using lrm 5s and smls with an lfe 200 on assault mode alpine. Got two kills and almost won the match staring down a few assaults. When my Dic...jenner in one of the trolliest slow builds can out face tank almost three assaults I need to reconsider my game time playing mwo because no way should the jenner even survive looking at an assault otherwise with all the beatings of nerf bats its taken over the years.

#17 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:23 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 18 September 2020 - 07:20 AM, said:

How does that matter?

I suppose it matters differently to the new guys than to the ones harvesting them. I mean, I'm not new, so why should I care? I may not be part of a premade group, but I enjoy eating the Cadets alive as much as the next T1.

But, if I was a new potato, suckered into playing this game for the first time, I might be a little discouraged by getting my butt handed to me by everyone I play against until I finally tank so bad to drop to T4 or T5, where it's safe.

The entire mechanic seems counterintuitive to something like an online game built on a F2P concept, but what do I know? I always thought you wanted more customers, not fewer, so maybe I simply don't understand the business model.

#18 Hellfire666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

It's crying into the wind at this point. PGI doesn't care anymore. It's been like this since they last screwed with the match maker. It's been brought up in numerous posts. Not a peep out of PGI about it.

They only care about MW5 and that DLC money. MWO doesn't pay the bills so it's not worth their time.

#19 Blind Baku

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 04:45 PM

View PostHellfire666, on 19 September 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

It's crying into the wind at this point. PGI doesn't care anymore. It's been like this since they last screwed with the match maker. It's been brought up in numerous posts. Not a peep out of PGI about it.

They only care about MW5 and that DLC money. MWO doesn't pay the bills so it's not worth their time.

Unfortunately, I suspect you are correct...

#20 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:40 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 18 September 2020 - 01:23 PM, said:

But, if I was a new potato, suckered into playing this game for the first time, I might be a little discouraged by getting my butt handed to me by everyone I play against until I finally tank so bad to drop to T4 or T5, where it's safe.

I have always wondered if Russ Bullock really thinks that some novice player is going to endure 40-50 stomps in a row (sometimes firing just once or twice before being killed off) and still keep playing MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users