58 replies to this topic

#21 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 636 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:00 AM

The trick is- just play to have fun, and let the PSR end up where ever it ends up. If I am having fun- I don't really care, if I am not.... then time to play something else.

#22 Swamp Ass MkII

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 05:24 AM

The big problem is not PSR itself but how it is calculated. I played down about 4 hours ago, and seems that it is based more on damage than it is match score. If it is in fact based on match score, we need to come up with a way, to paly lights, and still climb the ranks... One of the biggest is calculation per ton for damage...

As I read in another post, it seems that LURM boats are getting rewarded, while those that have skill are getting punished. It's getting too damn stupid...

#23 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 06:30 AM

View PostSwamp *** MkII, on 20 September 2020 - 05:24 AM, said:

The big problem is not PSR itself but how it is calculated. I played down about 4 hours ago, and seems that it is based more on damage than it is match score. If it is in fact based on match score, we need to come up with a way, to paly lights, and still climb the ranks... One of the biggest is calculation per ton for damage...

Check this post, please:

Psr Community Version 1.0
Paul Inouye's explanation how the new PSR is calculated.

As I read in another post, it seems that LURM boats are getting rewarded, while those that have skill are getting punished. It's getting too damn stupid...

Well, if they get a suitable map and/or the enemy team lacks ECM or AMS or is full of players who do not know how to find cover, those LRM-boats can farm a lot of damage (even if it is just a sandblasting). Since they are often parked back behind the frontline, they can accumulate such Match Score that it is suficient to get them PSR raise, sometimes even on loss.

#24 LTC Kilgore

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:37 AM

Match Score is greatly effected by damage. So those that spray damage all over enemy mechs are rewarded, and those that efficiently kill the enemy aren't

#25 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:25 AM

Ignore PSR and find another goal to shoot for. As you discovered, green arrows are super easy to get in a meta mech and slightly above average skills. Satisfying these two conditions guarantee that you (eventually) end up in tier 1 even if you are 60% percentile player.

However, playing the meta is boring, and you miss the best part of this game which is messing around with your builds. The most FUN mechs are not the same as the best mechs. Try to make an obsolete chasis work - it is very satisfying.

Besides, tier 2 is the best tier. I dread the day when I have to start throwing games (not likely) or running troll builds just to prevent me from going into tier 1.

Edited by ShiverMeRivets, 20 September 2020 - 08:26 AM.

#26 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 08:38 AM

View PostShiverMeRivets, on 20 September 2020 - 08:25 AM, said:

I dread the day when I have to start throwing games (not likely) or running troll builds just to prevent me from going into tier 1.

I would say that the difference between Tiers 1 and 2 is minimal. Posted Image

#27 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:13 AM

View PostBeorning, on 20 September 2020 - 03:21 AM, said:

I think wins matter more than PSR.

I'd rather win, too! As a PUG I had to shift my mindset and be happy with my own performance rather than the performance of my team. It's such a mixed bag. If I get a good team, then it's super fun. If not, I am happy with my own performance (more often than b4).

In the last few weeks I've started concentrating on whether I am on a team or if I dropped with 11 lone-wolves. What a difference that has made! I am enjoying the game more, changed my expectations, and my PSR has shot way up because I don't lead the charge when I'm not on a "team".

When there is a good team mentality I crank the agro knob to 11 and get the party started.

#28 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 20 September 2020 - 10:22 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 September 2020 - 12:29 AM, said:

If I may suggest something, concentrate more on dealing a direct damage. Spotting, UAVs and Artillery strikes are nice, but they are only a secondary thing.

Well, I have seen some very skilled Light 'Mech pilots.

Anyway, what about using some more "combat oriented" light 'Mech? Something still in the light range, but heavier and with more weapons and more armor, so you can dish out more damage on enemy 'Mechs?

Urbie, Osiris, Piranha are great for that, and I enjoy them. The stealth Locust as an irritant and intel boat is really fun to play especially on a team that takes advantage of it. Drawing a Dire Whale out of the fight or getting a wolf pack searching for you for the entire match and surviving is a real rush. :) The PSR is skewed heavily in favor of damage output, so fun must be its own reward (duh! It's a game after all).

Looking forward to being on your team Martian. Let's kick some butt out there!!!

#29 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 20 September 2020 - 01:01 PM

View Postmartian, on 20 September 2020 - 08:38 AM, said:

I would say that the difference between Tiers 1 and 2 is minimal. Posted Image

Only difference I've noticed is it takes longer at T1 to get into the exact, same matches...including T3 Cadets.

#30 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:01 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 20 September 2020 - 01:01 PM, said:

Only difference I've noticed is it takes longer at T1 to get into the exact, same matches...including T3 Cadets.

Yeah.

#31 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 21 September 2020 - 04:06 AM

View PostLockheed_, on 19 September 2020 - 10:43 AM, said:

Did you guys actually read the OP? He's not talking about how to get better, he says it's diappointing and boring how easy it is to climb.

Sounds like it's time to tighten up the tier separation again.

#32 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 07:40 AM

View PostHorseman, on 21 September 2020 - 04:06 AM, said:

Sounds like it's time to tighten up the tier separation again.

Are you sure that MWO has enough players for that?

#33 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 26 September 2020 - 02:01 PM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2020 - 07:40 AM, said:

So many that are complaining about the tier separation either don't remember or weren't around for the other various "tweaks" and "improvements" to matchmaking that have been attempted in the past. There's a tradeoff for strict separation...time to build the appropriate match.

If the MM were set to create pure T1, T2 or T3 matches with no variation, everyone but T3 would be waiting for QP drop for about as long as the wait currently is in FP. Then, you'd hear complaining about why it takes so long to get a drop. It's a vicious cycle we've all lived through.

Those of us that have been around a while accepted long ago that under current leadership, balanced matches are a goal to be shot at and never achieved.

#34 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,761 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:41 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 26 September 2020 - 02:01 PM, said:

So many that are complaining about the tier separation either don't remember or weren't around for the other various "tweaks" and "improvements" to matchmaking that have been attempted in the past. There's a tradeoff for strict separation...time to build the appropriate match.

If the MM were set to create pure T1, T2 or T3 matches with no variation, everyone but T3 would be waiting for QP drop for about as long as the wait currently is in FP. Then, you'd hear complaining about why it takes so long to get a drop. It's a vicious cycle we've all lived through.

Those of us that have been around a while accepted long ago that under current leadership, balanced matches are a goal to be shot at and never achieved.

I remember the first week or two after the PSR reset Tiers were separated. Although I waited a little bit longer for the game, I liked that the quality of the games went up as well.

#35 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 01:15 AM

View Postmartian, on 26 September 2020 - 07:40 AM, said:

Check Jarl's List; currently stating only 10% of player base around, so, probably no - not enough players which is why the Tier loading is shot but is the only way to actually get drops atm.

#36 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:34 AM

View Postmartian, on 27 September 2020 - 12:41 AM, said:

I remember the first week or two after the PSR reset Tiers were separated. Although I waited a little bit longer for the game, I liked that the quality of the games went up as well.

Remember, the PSR reset came BEFORE allowing 4 man groups into QP. Both contributed to the current situation, but both are separate issues. One thing that is noticeable between T1 and T3 is that due to the population, it takes longer for the MM to put together a match for you unless there are a LOT of T1/2s playing. The longer it takes, the worse the match is going to be isn't an unreasonable rule of thumb.

In general, at least as far as QP is concerned, there are two types of T1s...those that got there by participating in organized, group play and those that got there as part of the mess that QP has always been. On the bright side, there's always Solaris or FP to go to if you want to get away from being farmed.

#37 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 09:36 AM

Groups were allowed into qp starting in May, PSR reset was July.

#38 Kodyn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,444 posts
  • LocationNY, USA

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:10 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 27 September 2020 - 09:34 AM, said:

In general, at least as far as QP is concerned, there are two types of T1s...those that got there by participating in organized, group play and those that got there as part of the mess that QP has always been. On the bright side, there's always Solaris or FP to go to if you want to get away from being farmed.

I'd argue there's at least one other type - those of us that used to play mostly group, came from organized units, then kinda retired to solo q to get away from the more organized play and just have casual matches. We of this third type aren't bothered overmuch by the groups, just how they skew tonnage, or the cases where they're a group who suck together and throw a match. Having done both extensively, I can say it's much easier to wind up with higher PSR sooner as a strictly solo player than group play back in Group Q. When people are calling targets and focusing fire, your individual score often suffers. If however you happen to be one of a few decent players in old Solo Q, it was easier by far to pad your score simply by doing better than your team.

New system, I think honestly population is just so low it's valves open much of the time. Not sure it even matters anymore how we got our tier, it's rare to get a match where a whole team is in any way close to each other in skill. Been seeing some of the weirdest, most surreal matches I could ever imagine lately, it's unreal.

#39 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 27 September 2020 - 11:46 AM

View PostKodyn, on 27 September 2020 - 11:10 AM, said:

Not sure it even matters anymore how we got our tier, it's rare to get a match where a whole team is in any way close to each other in skill. Been seeing some of the weirdest, most surreal matches I could ever imagine lately, it's unreal.

Even amongst a given tier the skill gap is pretty staggering still. Ive heard players say they are in tier 1 and Im shocked based on their skill level, but then I quickly realize that based on their average match score they probably technically fall into tier 1. In order to get games with people of similar skills the match maker would have to gate the tiers even further to something like "people in the top/middle/bottom 1/2 or 1/3" of a given tier. Obviously thats not feasible since you would have to wait a long, long time to gather players that meet that criteria. But yes some of the matches have been downright hilarious in the quality lately though. I watched MPG stream a bit last night and he had a run of appalling teams that was downright laughable.

#40 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 27 September 2020 - 12:57 PM

The population is too low. I see new tier 3 players in tier 1 team matches all the time now.

The biggest issue I see is pgi will not balance the tonnage. So you end up with teams with tons of weight or tons of speed.

If the team with tons of weight is given time to group up they will win. If the fast team pain trains gets easy kills off one of the side lances first they will win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users