Psr Is .. I Don't Know, Man.

58 replies to this topic

#1 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 12:53 PM

I see very routinely people say PSR is a measurement of skill. I disagree.

I only played for about 2 months. I'm terrible at this game. I don't do the torso dance. I don't do the arms free thing. I don't focus fire, in any sense. I don't really even make it a point to lock on. I typically play with all comms off, the times I do play with comms on, I routinely hear all of the backseat pilots critique the flaws in my ways.

Once I really looked into PSR, I quickly rose up from T4 to T2.5. My game plan was working great. I'm sure I could have hit Tier 1, but my frustration tier was rising faster than my PSR tier, so I had to take an indefinite break.

All I do is pick Wolfhound, use 6 medium not-pulse lasers, tape down my left mouse button, stay near the front of the NASCAR, shoot people in the back. Rack up damage and disregard EVERYTHING else. Get the sacred green up arrow. Is this what we consider "skill"?

For what it's worth, I'm not saying this because I want to advertise I'm quitting. I actually wish I started playing this game years ago. It's just between PSR and NASCAR, I can only deal with it in small doses.

tl;dr: game was super fun, discovered PSR, discovered EZ mode game plan, got bored, made a thread for no reason

#2 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:37 PM

PSR is just your ability to maintain a decent match score whether you win or lose.

#3 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 18 September 2020 - 01:44 PM

PSR//Matchscore is broken and overly-favours damage above all other contributors.

#4 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:15 PM

Start running around in firestarter or centurion it will get balanced real fast lol

#5 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 02:55 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 18 September 2020 - 01:44 PM, said:

PSR//Matchscore is broken and overly-favours damage above all other contributors.

Some of the extra stuff adds up, too. UAVs, strikes, AMS. If you do it right, you can get a decent match score and not fire a shot. I've seen it done.

#6 Black Caiman

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:10 PM

View PostMonkey Lover, on 18 September 2020 - 02:15 PM, said:

Start running around in firestarter or centurion it will get balanced real fast lol

I know some guys that can wreck face in a Firestarter, but Im super tempted to just start running really mediocre chassis' just to see if I can make them perform. Centurion was the first one that came to my mind haha

#7 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:19 PM

View PostBlack Caiman, on 18 September 2020 - 03:10 PM, said:

I'm super tempted to just start running really mediocre chassis' just to see if I can make them perform. Centurion was the first one that came to my mind haha

Osiris, Blanner and Viper are waiting for you.

#8 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:34 PM

You hit 80th percentile the last two seasons, which is a reasonable definition of Tier 2.

And yes, playing nothing but meta MPL is a cry for help. That's what uninstall options and the hotline are for.

#9 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 03:47 PM

View PostEast Indy, on 18 September 2020 - 03:34 PM, said:

You hit 80th percentile the last two seasons, which is a reasonable definition of Tier 2.

And yes, playing nothing but meta MPL is a cry for help. That's what uninstall options and the hotline are for.

Nice reading ability, my man

#10 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:50 PM

View PostCherge, on 18 September 2020 - 03:47 PM, said:

Nice reading ability, my man

What you need in your life is a humanoid 'Mech that shamelessly and non-optimally carries at least one ballistic weapon, missile weapon and energy weapon; fun to play and a healthy challenge to perform well in. And then 10 more.

#11 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 04:51 PM

Regardless of PSR what you've actually discovered is how to win games - staying in the fight and shooting as much as possible. Next up is working on focus fire and prioritizing targets. You're on the right path.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 18 September 2020 - 05:53 PM

ITT: OP says he is rubbish, but unwittingly pilots a decent 'Mech with a reasonable loadout and pays attention to the position of his team mates relative to the enemy - how else would you stay ahead of your own Nascar? Sounds like you aren't as bad as you think you are OP.

#13 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 18 September 2020 - 10:44 PM

View PostCherge, on 18 September 2020 - 12:53 PM, said:

I see very routinely people say PSR is a measurement of skill. I disagree.

I only played for about 2 months. I'm terrible at this game. I don't do the torso dance. I don't do the arms free thing. I don't focus fire, in any sense. I don't really even make it a point to lock on. I typically play with all comms off, the times I do play with comms on, I routinely hear all of the backseat pilots critique the flaws in my ways.

Play the way it best suits you.

Once I really looked into PSR, I quickly rose up from T4 to T2.5. My game plan was working great. I'm sure I could have hit Tier 1, but my frustration tier was rising faster than my PSR tier, so I had to take an indefinite break.

All I do is pick Wolfhound, use 6 medium not-pulse lasers, tape down my left mouse button, stay near the front of the NASCAR, shoot people in the back. Rack up damage and disregard EVERYTHING else. Get the sacred green up arrow. Is this what we consider "skill"?

To put it simply, PGI set the PSR system the way that it really favours the damage dealt and equals it with your skill.

Take LBX "Sleipnir" or quad UAC Mad Cat Mk.II and you will have even more "skill" - or that's how PGI thinks ... Posted Image

For what it's worth, I'm not saying this because I want to advertise I'm quitting. I actually wish I started playing this game years ago. It's just between PSR and NASCAR, I can only deal with it in small doses.

tl;dr: game was super fun, discovered PSR, discovered EZ mode game plan, got bored, made a thread for no reason

Well, the Wolfhound is one of the best light 'Mechs in the game. If you want some greater challenge, you should try some less-than-optimal 'Mechs such as the Spider or the Mist Lynx.

#14 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 12:49 AM

This game lets you separate between how you want to play. Just make multiple accounts. On one account you can focus on improving your PSR, on another you can mess around with experimental builds, and not care about your performance.

When it comes to PSR, it does rely somewhat on matchscore, which is mostly influenced by damage, but it most heavily relies on wins. For instance in a winning match I played terrible and got a match score of 175. I expected my PSR to go down, but since it was a win, my terrible performance didn't really count, so I got an increase instead. This lead me to do an experiment on one of the accounts. The result: You can safely throw losing matches, and still get to T1. That is how broken the system is.

Edited by Mal Nilsum, 19 September 2020 - 12:55 AM.

#15 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 07:06 AM

View PostBlaizerP, on 18 September 2020 - 04:51 PM, said:

Regardless of PSR what you've actually discovered is how to win games - staying in the fight and shooting as much as possible. Next up is working on focus fire and prioritizing targets. You're on the right path.

You neglected the most important thing, if winning is what you're shooting for. Join a premade group.

#16 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 01:53 PM

try faction play

#17 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 19 September 2020 - 10:35 PM

I mostly like PSR changes. I am a better player because of it.

I do think something needs to be done for light mechs. I drew 4 mechs out of the fight in my Locust while my team whomped.up on the rest. My UAV didn't cause damage because my team was busy elsewhere. My artie strikes only hit 1 or 2 mechs. I didn't do much damage, but my team made use of my info and distraction. Best match ever in my Locust and PSR went down even with 300+ damage. It was a real slug fest and that damage didn't make the cut.

Bummer that you have to sacrifice PSR to play lights.

#18 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,781 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 12:29 AM

View PostShmoken, on 19 September 2020 - 10:35 PM, said:

I do think something needs to be done for light mechs. I drew 4 mechs out of the fight in my Locust while my team whomped.up on the rest. My UAV didn't cause damage because my team was busy elsewhere. My artie strikes only hit 1 or 2 mechs. I didn't do much damage, but my team made use of my info and distraction. Best match ever in my Locust and PSR went down even with 300+ damage. It was a real slug fest and that damage didn't make the cut.

If I may suggest something, concentrate more on dealing a direct damage. Spotting, UAVs and Artillery strikes are nice, but they are only a secondary thing.

Well, I have seen some very skilled Light 'Mech pilots.

Anyway, what about using some more "combat oriented" light 'Mech? Something still in the light range, but heavier and with more weapons and more armor, so you can dish out more damage on enemy 'Mechs?

#19 Beorning

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 306 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:21 AM

I think wins matter more than PSR.

#20 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 03:45 AM

With well placed UAVs, spotting and generally helping out your team, your matchscore can get higher than your damage score. It's happened to me on multiple occasions by staying close to the fight at all times and dropping UAVs at crucial moments.

A damage of 300+ should in such a situation yield a 300+ match score, which with a win would definitely increase your PSR. But PSR relies more on win/loss than matchscore, so if you lost, it all depends on how bad the rest of your team did. Most likely you would still get an increase with 300+

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users