Matchmaker Tonnage Issues

15 replies to this topic

#1 Hellfire666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 123 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 02:41 PM

I don't know about the rest of you. But constantly dropping in matches were 7 out of the 12 enemy players are damn assaults while your team has 2 at best needs to be addressed.

But it won't, because we all know PGI doesn't care anymore.

#2 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 08:55 PM

It's not physically possible to address. Premade groups can drop with whatever configuration of mechs they like. If they drop heavy, your team will be heavy. If they drop light. Your team will be light. Nothing can fix that. It was true in regular group queue so OF COURSE IT'S TRUE IN SOUP Q. duh.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 19 September 2020 - 09:13 PM

View PostHellfire666, on 19 September 2020 - 02:41 PM, said:

I don't know about the rest of you. But constantly dropping in matches were 7 out of the 12 enemy players are damn assaults while your team has 2 at best needs to be addressed.

But it won't, because we all know PGI doesn't care anymore.

Russ Bullock and Paul Inouye have felt no need to do anything with this problem.

You can ask the MWO Community Manager to tell them about this situation.

Oh sorry, the MWO Community Manager left in December 2019 and so far nobody in PGI has bothered with finding replacement for her.

Tough luck, huh?

#4 Willard Phule

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:22 AM

Yeah...about that.....

You need to remember that when there's a 4 man premade group on one of the teams, their mechs don't count toward any type of balancing among the solos on either team. If the premade goes heavy and most solos are going heavy, one side ends up way heavier than the other.

#5 ShiverMeRivets

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 520 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:41 AM

While the heavier team tends to win more, it is not a given. I was dropped with a team with NO assaults against 4 in the opposite side. We won 12:6 iirc by swarming their late ones to press W at the very beginning of the match before they even knew what was going on.

Lots of armor on the opposing team is good for match score. I did 780 damage (500+ MS) in a friggin Osiris Sekmeht, finishing its challenge in the heroes event in one drop. I rarely play light mechs that are not Urbies, so it’s not like I am good at driving it.

#6 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:48 AM

And that is where it would need to be changed. Right now a group can drop matching mechs, within the tonnage limit. Think FP where with decent teams there is usually mech symmetry, and how effective that is a majority of the time.
  • 1 mech per weight class for groups.
  • Seed a group, then the next selection should be a group to fill the opposite team.
  • Match weight classes instead of tonnage
  • Reconsider leaving Lance size to lore and drop max group to 3.
  • If staying with max 4-man, then 3-man should not be grouped up with 2-man either.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 20 September 2020 - 09:51 AM.

#7 East Indy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 20 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 20 September 2020 - 09:48 AM, said:

And that is where it would need to be changed. Right now a group can drop matching mechs, within the tonnage limit. Think FP where with decent teams there is usually mech symmetry, and how effective that is a majority of the time.
  • 1 mech per weight class for groups.

Indeed. Even without data on wins and tonnage, this is a "looks good, rides good" change giving players — the vast majority who, let's remember, are not in groups — more confidence because it greatly reduces disparities on a basic level.

All reasonable suggestions otherwise. I think 4-man groups are okay to support the social angle (although I'd love to see data on kill counts with teams sporting a 4-man each).

#8 Hellfire666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 123 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 04:13 PM

View PostKiran Yagami, on 19 September 2020 - 08:55 PM, said:

It's not physically possible to address. Premade groups can drop with whatever configuration of mechs they like. If they drop heavy, your team will be heavy. If they drop light. Your team will be light. Nothing can fix that. It was true in regular group queue so OF COURSE IT'S TRUE IN SOUP Q. duh.

Yes it can be. Remove groups from solo q.

They never should have been added in the first place.

Not that anyone who can do anything about it can be bothered to give a crap.

#9 Shoot someone else

• PipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 07:21 PM

I've played this game for fun for years. It's quickly getting to the 'not fun' stage. Four games tonight, groups queued. Premades in all. Not on my team though. We were just poor Pugs.

Two games were just old fashioned stomps.

One game the opposing team had a plethora of stealth and ECM mechs.

One game we were out-tonned by at least 300 tons. We had no assaults, I think only one heavy. They had 5 assaults, a few heavies as well.

Had time to play, just couldn't do it. At this point I don't see what fun the stomping teams are really having either...

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 20 September 2020 - 09:11 PM

View PostHellfire666, on 20 September 2020 - 04:13 PM, said:

Yes it can be. Remove groups from solo q.

They never should have been added in the first place.

Not that anyone who can do anything about it can be bothered to give a crap.

Pretty good summary, I would say.

#11 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:09 AM

View Postmartian, on 20 September 2020 - 09:11 PM, said:

Pretty good summary, I would say.

Bah. That's complete insanity. I mean, it'd be smart if the plan was to retain and recruit more players, but that's obviously not what PGI is shooting for.

I say it's time to allow full 12 man groups with unregulated tonnages. If we're gonna do it, do it right.

#12 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,705 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 11:33 AM

View PostWillard Phule, on 21 September 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

Bah. That's complete insanity. I mean, it'd be smart if the plan was to retain and recruit more players, but that's obviously not what PGI is shooting for.

I say it's time to allow full 12 man groups with unregulated tonnages. If we're gonna do it, do it right.

I say: Merge QP and FP. And S7.

If you want to kill MWO, no half-hearted measures are going to suffice. Posted Image

#13 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:06 PM

View PostWillard Phule, on 21 September 2020 - 11:09 AM, said:

I'm sure I've said it before; if we permit full 12-mans at the leaset it drops the pretense.

View Postmartian, on 21 September 2020 - 11:33 AM, said:

I say: Merge QP and FP. And S7.

If you want to kill MWO, no half-hearted measures are going to suffice. Posted Image

You know, I'm actually ok with dropping QP and FP entirely and forcing everyone in to Solaris.

The game is called MWO:Solaris.

#14 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 21 September 2020 - 12:06 PM, said:

I'm sure I've said it before; if we permit full 12-mans at the leaset it drops the pretense.

And get rid of tonnage restrictions for both group and solos. Bring whatever you want. And force everyone into FP for the maps. You can either join with 4 mechs ready to go, or just bring 1 and leave your team shorthanded after you die.

#15 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 21 September 2020 - 06:43 PM

Posted Image

#16 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts

Posted 21 September 2020 - 09:35 PM

This has turned into an echo chamber of unconstructivity. Thread locked.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users