[Answered ... ?] Flamers Vs. Night Gyr

Question

11 replies to this topic

#1 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 22 September 2020 - 02:45 PM

Hello, everyone... For once, I feel like a newbie again in some small way, so I decided to make the thread here. I don't know if this will turn into a massive discussion or not, which is why I picked a Separate Thread instead of using "Small Question, Small Answer" for asking about this. :o

Anywho, the Question which I'm trying to ask....... It dawned on me that there's something I really don't know about the Night Gyr's "-100% External Heat Transfer" Quirk in terms of how the Flamer Weapon would interact with it. Is the game currently designed such that the Night Gyr is effectively immune to the Flamer, or will the Mech collect some Heat if hit by one? Will it be 'Full, Reduced, or None' in terms of how much Heat is caused? :blink:

~D. V. "Really doesn't know if Night Gyr is affected by Flamer attack... Sad, huh?" Devnull

[Single Edit by Post Author upon Question being Answered & Complete to make the Title reflect this.]

[2nd Edit by Post Author to Thread Title upon discovering Post #9 and further down... Question Not Answered Yet???]

Edited by D V Devnull, 24 September 2020 - 10:11 AM.

#2 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 09:39 PM

Without testing, I can only speculate here.
Since environment temperature does not heat your mech, but affects heat dissipation, I'd say a flamer heats the Night Gyr up just like every other mech. The Night Gyr's heat dissipation is simply not modified by environment temperature.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 22 September 2020 - 11:56 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 22 September 2020 - 02:45 PM, said:

Will it be 'Full, Reduced, or None' in terms of how much Heat is caused? Posted Image

The Night Gyr is completely immune to enemy flamers.

#4 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 04:25 PM

Two conflicting views since my last post... Does anyone have a Video showing the interaction, or lack thereof? :huh:

~D. V. "trying to make sure they understand this Flamer versus Night Gyr situation properly" Devnull

#5 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 23 September 2020 - 08:38 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 23 September 2020 - 04:25 PM, said:

Two conflicting views since my last post... Does anyone have a Video showing the interaction, or lack thereof? Posted Image

~D. V. "trying to make sure they understand this Flamer versus Night Gyr situation properly" Devnull

MWO developer explained that flamers would have no effect, since the -100% Heat transfer quirk would reduce 100% of the flamer heat to zero.

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 12:34 AM

View Postmartian, on 23 September 2020 - 08:38 PM, said:

MWO developer explained that flamers would have no effect, since the -100% Heat transfer quirk would reduce 100% of the flamer heat to zero.

Interesting... so they treated it like an Environmental Effect then. :huh:

Now, I'm not saying that I don't believe you with this request... But, do you have a link to that Developer Posting, wherever it may exist? I would like to make it so that anyone else who reads this thread in the future can get the point easily. :)

~D. V. "trying to help give this 'Flamers vs. Night Gyr' thread a nice wrap-up" Devnull

#7 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:29 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 24 September 2020 - 12:34 AM, said:

Interesting... so they treated it like an Environmental Effect then. Posted Image

Now, I'm not saying that I don't believe you with this request... But, do you have a link to that Developer Posting, wherever it may exist? I would like to make it so that anyone else who reads this thread in the future can get the point easily. Posted Image

~D. V. "trying to help give this 'Flamers vs. Night Gyr' thread a nice wrap-up" Devnull

Here it comes: External Heat Transfer Quirk

David Bradley / Game Designer said:

Hello all,

I noticed that there's been a lot of talk and speculation over the new BattleMaster Hero Mech, the HellSlinger, and the new quirk that it introduces, external heat transfer. So I wanted to step in here and give you the scoop on what the quirk actually does.

The quirk affects the amount of heat the Mech gains or loses due to external sources. These sources include the environment (both hot and cold maps, as well as hot/cold spots within maps), enemy flamers, and bonus cooling from standing in water.

The HellSlinger has this quirk at -50%. This means that it will only take half the heat from hot maps and enemy flamers but, conversely, it will only gain half the bonus cooling effects from cold maps and water cooling. Basically, the quirk acts as insulation to external temperatures.

It’s also worth noting that, if this quirk was assigned to a Mech with a positive value instead of a negative one, it would amplify the external temperature effects.

Hopefully this helps clear things up.

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 07:49 AM

View Postmartian, on 24 September 2020 - 01:29 AM, said:

Thank You for posting the Info, both the Link and the Quote. It's very appreciated, and definitely answers any remaining question about this. :)

I've just put 'Like's on all your posts in this thread so people can see your helpfulness here. ^_^

~D. V. "Question Fully Answered... It's a wrap. Thanks!" Devnull

#9 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:04 AM

I tested today in a private lobby and two flamers heated up a night gyr quite nicely. Maybe this 6 year old quote is not longer accurate. Posted Image

#10 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 09:48 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 September 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

I tested today in a private lobby and two flamers heated up a night gyr quite nicely. Maybe this 6 year old quote is not longer accurate. Posted Image

Yes, that's quite possible.

Would you believe that there was a time when the MWO designers explained the inner workings of the game, the game developers informed the players about the MWO development, the artists were eager show off their concept art or skin textures, the modellers proudly presented the 'Mech they were working on, ...

#11 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 10:07 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 September 2020 - 09:04 AM, said:

Or we've ended up with an Unexpected Game Bug happening, and we'll need some repair done by PGI's Development Staff in order to put a stopper on it? :blink:

Any chance you have a video of the Night Gyr being affected by Flamers, such that we can show this potential problem to PGI's Staff in order to get their standing on it? :mellow:

~D. V. "Well... This is a potential shock about Flamers versus a Night Gyr..." Devnull

#12 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,563 posts

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:52 PM

I have not. But it's easy to reproduce. Just two guys in a lobby.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users