Mwo Site Is Not Secure = Browser Bug Out

16 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 24 September 2020 - 01:49 AM

Lately, I am having problem posting.

Upon changing browser, I realized something, it's that the problem is the browsers prevent upload of data to not-secure sites.

Mwomercs is only secure on some parts, it's mostly not secure on specific threads, for strange reasons unknown to me.

#2 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 27 September 2020 - 10:39 PM

Okay... What browsers are you using? Which one is experiencing which situation? There is a lot we can not help you with unless you're willing to say more about what's going on. :huh:

~D. V. "would like to help debug your browser issue, but currently don't have enough info to do so" Devnull

#3 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 28 September 2020 - 07:01 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 24 September 2020 - 01:49 AM, said:

Mwomercs is only secure on some parts, it's mostly not secure on specific threads, for strange reasons unknown to me.
I suspect that might be due to users embedding images not delivered over HTTPS.

#4 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 28 September 2020 - 01:26 PM

View PostHorseman, on 28 September 2020 - 07:01 AM, said:

I suspect that might be due to users embedding images not delivered over HTTPS.

And also how various browsers tolerate (or don't) the items loaded in the page. :mellow:

~D. V. "this is why we need to know what browsers they're using" Devnull

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 01 October 2020 - 07:02 PM

It's actually prevalent on both Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox.

Firefox is also a lot clearer on this, as it clarifies that it's not just "connection reset", but something about security. I can post time to time, but not edit.

So far, the only constant is that I cannot post when the page is "not-secure", and I can if it is "Secure".

Edited by The6thMessenger, 01 October 2020 - 07:18 PM.

#6 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 01:04 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 01 October 2020 - 07:02 PM, said:

It's actually prevalent on both Chrome, MS Edge, and Firefox.

Firefox is also a lot clearer on this, as it clarifies that it's not just "connection reset", but something about security. I can post time to time, but not edit.

So far, the only constant is that I cannot post when the page is "not-secure", and I can if it is "Secure".

Damn... I think you've run severely afoul of something new that Browser Makers have instituted in more recent versions of their programs. Basically, it boils down that Browser Makers have decided that they're going to force ALL Websites to be properly Secured, or the user will end up with forcibly reduced functionality until a Website which does not follow this policy changes their ways and ensures Full Security of literally everything loaded in the page. You're likely going to have to check under those browsers' proverbial hoods, and see if there's something you can set that will make them less cranky for now on pages where Non-Secure Resources have been loaded, particularly in the case of Images and Youtube Videos that are on display. :huh:

Otherwise, you're looking at having to possibly send the MWO Forum Moderators a bunch of Reports (thanks to Terms Of Use, Section 11.2.f&g, which are putting the Browser Makers — and unfortunately Other End Users too — in violation because you're ending up with loss-of-functionality here) — including proper details of what the offending item(s) happen(s) to be — every time (but preferably without flooding them) that you encounter something that makes it impossible for you to properly use the Forums' & Website's pages, as well as Contact MWO Support and basically raise general hell with PGI's Staff that you can not properly use the Forums & Website because the Browser Makers have set new requirements that absolutely must be followed. They're all not going to like that one (and I personally intend NOTHING malicious towards them here with my recommendation, given that I know some of the Moderators & PGI Staff are actually very good people), but it looks like something is massively coming to an untenable situation, and they're going to lose Players & Customers if people can not use the Forums & Website because PGI's Staff failed to keep up with Technical Security Standards as shoved down everyone's collective throats by the Browser Makers programs & current designs. In short, people will come to MWO's Forums & Website, end up seeing broken functionality because of what the Browser Makers have done underneath, and an indication that the Forums & Website are considered Unsafe, and leave without an understanding that the Forums & Website are really more Safe to use than they're being presented with, thereby destroying Current & New population of MWO that could have existed. Terrible, huh? :(

The only other thing that I can think of doing right now would include disabling display of Forum Signatures (and even going so far as to temporarily use Website Filtering Addons to block offending content from causing your Browser to disable you) until more remote Websites stick to providing & returning data in a Secure manner. However, I bet that probably won't fix all of what you're experiencing at the moment. :unsure:

Heck, just slightly on the Off-Topic side of things, but is this a prime example of why a computer's User should not always be perfectly up-to-date on what Patches they've loaded, almost regardless (except for online games where being perfectly up-to-date is required) of what OS and/or Program is involved? The person considered as the End User should never be the victim of what corporations are up to through reduced ability to use their computer in an enjoyable way. Corporations have definitely forgotten that the computer ultimately belongs to the End User, and NOT to the Corporation who might have developed something that the End User happens to be using on it. Somebody out there needs to create Legal Rules to restrain Corporations (particularly those blasted OS Developers & Browser Makers) so that they're not able to wrongfully hurt End Users anymore. -_-

~Mr. D. V. "sorry to see that you've become a victim of the Browser Wars which have heated up" Devnull

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 06:11 AM

I actually did talked to support, to GM Zen.

Personally, I don't mind the browser developers forcing sites to be secure. I was stupid in browsing back in the day, so I run maximum security in my browsers on top of not doing the same stupid shits before.

#8 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 02 October 2020 - 10:55 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 02 October 2020 - 06:11 AM, said:

I actually did talked to support, to GM Zen.

Personally, I don't mind the browser developers forcing sites to be secure. I was stupid in browsing back in the day, so I run maximum security in my browsers on top of not doing the same stupid shits before.

Those annoying Browser Devs may have good intentions, but they're going about it in the wrong way. Hurting the End User by forced reduction of their functionality is the absolute worst thing that they can do. If they wanted to prompt, inform, and alert the End User, followed by giving them an actual choice (which generally will cause the End User to be understanding and do the thing that the Browser Devs always want, albeit not 100% of the time due to things that may occasionally warrant going with the opposite decision), then that would have been alright and there would have been no harm or foul happening. But, by taking the choice totally away from the End User and assuming that the End User is stupid, the Browser Devs step over the line into having done the wrong thing through their faulty "we always know better than you do" thinking and subsequently cause problems that should not be there. I'm probably doing a case of "ranting to the choir" here, but that kind of Anti-Choice Behavior from Developers has a 100% chance to make me rather harshly angry. I suppose that's only because I'm naturally careful on the Internet with what I've ended up seeing out there, and I therefore make wise choices (and have a non-negotiable requirement to be able to do so on my own) instead of bumping around like a sad lemming. :angry:

~D. V. "In case you're wondering, the angry emoji is because of this newer browser mess, and not meant for you" Devnull

#9 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 03 October 2020 - 04:37 AM

It's annoying, I can't even reply to the guys.

#10 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 01:32 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 03 October 2020 - 04:37 AM, said:

It's annoying, I can't even reply to the guys.

Grab yourself a page-filtering add-on for your Browser, as well as the Browser's functions for inspecting Websites, and go through the content on pages where you suddenly find yourself unable to reply. If you can't find anything, then middle-click the "Online" button at the top and check if you're still logged into the MWO Website in a different tab. There have been times that my reply couldn't post because I had been logged out by the remote server in the background, but I was somehow able to hold onto the post and then log back in to follow up with making it post up. :huh:

~D. V. "Sorry about the delay in getting back to you... This solution is all I can think of for now." Devnull

#11 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 02:05 PM

I'm sure that I'm still logged on.

#12 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:32 PM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 06 October 2020 - 02:05 PM, said:

I'm sure that I'm still logged on.

Agreed on that one. I'm only thinking in a "catch all"-type of mode, which causes my mind to step through everything it can possibly think of. Sorry for causing any annoyance while trying to help you. :(

Have you been able to find anything so far that would cause your problems from within the loaded page content? :o

~D. V. "Sorry for any aggravation... Has anything else managed to stand out?" Devnull

#13 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 06 October 2020 - 11:43 PM

Honestly no. Sometimes I can post, sometimes I cannot.

Not sure about the "Secure" though, as sometimes the page is secure but still couldn't post.

EDIT:

Strange. I can post better using my phone. Does that mean browsers have different security system in phones? Or there's just a program in my pc that prevents it?

EDIT:

I think I got it. ******* Killer Control Center, basically my network drivers.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 07 October 2020 - 01:41 AM.

#14 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 08:17 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 06 October 2020 - 11:43 PM, said:

Honestly no. Sometimes I can post, sometimes I cannot.

Not sure about the "Secure" though, as sometimes the page is secure but still couldn't post.

EDIT:

Strange. I can post better using my phone. Does that mean browsers have different security system in phones? Or there's just a program in my pc that prevents it?

EDIT:

I think I got it. ******* Killer Control Center, basically my network drivers.

Your network drivers were messing you up, and making it impossible to post part of the time? Color me 'confused', but could you please explain that crazy one in a little more detail, if at all possible? :blink:

~D. V. "can't remember ever hearing of a network driver blocking forum posting" Devnull

#15 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 08 October 2020 - 04:48 PM

View PostD V Devnull, on 08 October 2020 - 08:17 AM, said:

Your network drivers were messing you up, and making it impossible to post part of the time? Color me 'confused', but could you please explain that crazy one in a little more detail, if at all possible? Posted Image

~D. V. "can't remember ever hearing of a network driver blocking forum posting" Devnull

Eh, I found it.

I just need to put the mwomercs.com site on a higher priority in Killer Control Center, because it's limiting the data that goes through.

#16 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:24 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 08 October 2020 - 04:48 PM, said:

Eh, I found it.

I just need to put the mwomercs.com site on a higher priority in Killer Control Center, because it's limiting the data that goes through.

Hi again... Glad to hear you found the solution to your issue. :)

On other notes, I ended up running a Google Search on "Killer Control Center" because I've never heard of it before, in order to get what you were talking about. I had no idea such a "QoS (Quality Of Service)"/FireWall type of controlling program existed before you mentioned its' name. This has definitely turned into a learning experience for me too, albeit a rather confusing one. :wacko:

Out of curiosity (but only if it's not a problem to ask), how many different programs do you have arguing for your internet bandwidth on that computer at any given time? :o

~D. V. "still somewhat confused, but glad to see you found the problem" Devnull

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 09 October 2020 - 12:34 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 09 October 2020 - 12:24 AM, said:

Out of curiosity (but only if it's not a problem to ask), how many different programs do you have arguing for your internet bandwidth on that computer at any given time? Posted Image

I honestly don't know, I didn't really count. It only really lists the places my PC communicates either via browser or a program, and assigns traffic priority. I see random sites that I swear I don't really visit, but I assume communicates anyways because of website cookies, like Gravatar.

I think "a lot" is adequate for an answer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users