544 replies to this topic

#61 Red Potato Standing By

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 144 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 04:51 PM

View PostKrovakon, on 05 October 2020 - 02:11 PM, said:

If you're looking for a bit of current feedback, I started playing 4 or 5 months ago and I can safely say that the new player experience is absolute garbage. Not just on a gameplay tutorial level but on a management and arsenal level. New players get 4 mechbay slots and enough C-BILLS to buy 1 heavy omni-mech of their choice. and gaining those Mechbay Slots in a reasonable timeframe demands you to spend money because over these past months I've been playing, I've earned enough MC from events to purchase less than 15 slots. So you're going to have an absolute garbage experience unless you know to never buy mechbays until there's a sale going on for them, and to never buy mechs unless there's a sale going on for them. Which most newcomers don't know.

I'd also like to mention that having month long events that new players can't partake in and F2P players can't progress with is an abysmal idea and the reason I uninstalled 3 days ago after having not played for the past month and a half (hasn't been any events I can participate in and no sales to buy anything from). Everything is way too expensive to buy unless there's a sale or you're running a premium booster.

though i agree it is a slog for someone who wants to spend no money on the game, it is kind of a trade off. they have to try and make some incentive for new players to spend a little cash. the nice thing though on the most part mechs that you spend money on are not better then the once you can grind for free.

#62 Jade4161

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:13 PM

i was thinking we were forgotten about, the games in the bag and just moving on. would love to see an new mech now and then. oh and i still have a little money to spend, lol.
Glad your back and hope some great happens. Die hard fans never give up the game they just play until they drop!

#63 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,549 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:29 PM

Congratulations on getting the job!

If the game needs anything, it really needs ADVERTISING! Not once have I seen a single targeted ad for MWO anywhere on the internet! Yet I've seen tons of them for World of Tanks, War Thunder, and dumb nickle-and-dime phone games. PGI really needs to step up and get the name of this game out there. The old blood can only take the business so far!

#64 frumpylumps

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:44 PM

View PostHandley Page, on 05 October 2020 - 11:03 AM, said:

I expected nothing and somehow I am still mad at how nothing this is.

Amazing, thank you PGI.

Awww, you poor baby. Do you need a bottle?

This is excellent news.

#65 DAEDALOS513

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Flame
  • The Flame
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationArea 52

Posted 05 October 2020 - 05:53 PM

Bring back ALL the old maps.. easy way to increase content!

#66 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

Great to see you back Daeron!

Lots of great ideas in the thread, lots of silly ones.

You are going to have your work cut out for you. Good luck!

#67 DevinMace

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 42 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:00 PM

As someone who runs a clan, that often will take on beginners, I really think the game needs like beginner mech packs.

As an example, mixed variety of say 5 mechs 1 of each tonnage and a hero, 5 mech bays, 100 gsp, 5 colors lets say for 20 usd. Maybe even some color packs like buy these 10 colors for X.

My big one right now also is Solaris, there is not enough players for it to run effectively, so you either A. have a single full day with a boost to rewards each week, or You have maybe 2 days a week that it is open. That way you kind of force people to play at the same time, making it a better level of play. More people in queue makes it match make better.

#68 Hydraden

• Pip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:07 PM

For MWO,

I would really like to see a major overhaul of this title starting with the engine. MWO and even MW5 suffer a lot from frame drops, invisible terrain, jarring streaming assets and strange ragdoll effects. As for gameplay I suggest the following.

Gameplay:

Remove the Quick Play and Faction Play buttons and replace them with a simple "Launch" or "Deploy" button. Run the Quick Play style gameplay full time and run the Faction Play style gameplay for events. For both versions of play I would love to see cycling maps and game modes that change let's say every hour, this would come in the form of a large widget attached to the "launch/deploy" button. This would give players the much needed info to select a mech appropriate for the match. As for the Faction Play, the matchmaker should randomly assign a faction to the player and have it assign teams based on PSR, this way you don't have the overwhelming major of players picking one faction and leaving the other dry or having all high level players on one side (I don't know how to handle groups). Trial mechs need updating so new players or players that lean to a Mech Technology (IS or Clan) have a healthy choice of competitive mechs for their drop deck that they wouldn't otherwise have.

Quality of Life:

1. Add premade skill tree templates
2. Right click functions like "Strip mech" from select screen
3. Add colour customization for HUD
4. Add AMS icon for friendly mechs that have it
5. Add an area where a new player can post a loadout publicly and have a player copy/save it. I think this would benefit new/returning players. In addition, adding the functionality to purchase necessary parts for the loadout including the chassis.
6. New Maps
7. New Modes (like a mobo style maybe)

#69 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 292 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:11 PM

Welcome back, Bombadil.

Sadly, this sounds more like a PR move than a substantive one. Great to have a trusted voice pushing the game and interacting with the players, but even better if things actually happen beyond the chat. MWO needs a lot of love to refresh it, as others have already pointed out. A port to a better game engine, new content, the fixing of longstanding issues, etc. An end to the half-truths and neglect that have plagued us. This game could be so much more than it is, if only the license holder realized it.

Half hoping, half despairing . . .

#70 colt

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:13 PM

The community definitely needs some injection of new and different without losing that makes MWO.

New content REALLY is needed. People will pay if it's good.

#71 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 05 October 2020 - 06:59 PM

View PostMatt Newman, on 05 October 2020 - 11:26 AM, said:

Posted Image

"determine a development path for MWO". ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? What the heck have you people been doing the last YEAR???????? Seriously, you are just now discovering that maybe you need a plan of some kind?

"What do players want to see in future" Again, ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME? How do you not know this already?

#72 Wo1verine

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 07:26 PM

WB:) good to see ya
look forward to seeing you on the field again, with and for :)

#73 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:09 PM

Welcome back Bombadil
Wish you success
Hope your wearing a hazmat suit Posted Image

#74 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:14 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 05 October 2020 - 01:14 PM, said:

I dont think there will be new mechs or weapons. They stopped relesing new mechs because it was not longer financially viable.
I think the very best we can hope for is a few map reworks like Canyon Network to Hibernal Rift, maybe a few new variants that dont require developing new hardpoints. I am expecting more things like adjusting spawns and matchmaker etc.

I think this effort is going to be part retaining as much of the current playerbase as possible until MWO2 gets released and part research for MWO2.

So no Longbow then (sigh).

#75 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:21 PM

View PostBrizna, on 05 October 2020 - 11:57 AM, said:

For all the nay-sayers, if PGI hires new employees you can be sure it's not to sell two products that have been already sold, specially MWO.

This is a clear indicator that there's some project in the works we don't know about that that will need selling. (*)

PGI hasn't show the best performance among developers and MWO is a monument to missed opportunities and wasted resources yet MWO does exist and has lasted a lot more than most MMO games, so they are not as clueless as some people, out of disappointment, so vocally say. I remain sceptically hopeful.

(*)My bet is they are porting MWO to MW5s engine and re-branding it as MWO2. They do need to really think how to market the new product while not enraging old veterans by stripping them of all progress while at the same time opening paths for revenue. It's not going to be easy from a marketing point of view.

There is definitely alot of issues with that. First, the GLA with Crytek, and then the resources.

I'm going to look at this unbiased as possible; On one hand, nice, new CM, that people know. On the other, PGI needs to make sure they listen to reasonable suggestions from both a combination of community and CM, not just one, or neither. If you want true population, you need to revitalize the core mechanics of this game, and start making the game fun again, and not by just adding new content. Rebuff mechs, stop giving mechs worthless single quirked hardpoints such as 20% machine gun rate of fire for Ice Ferret Rainbow Crow Hero, and give them something that people would actually enjoy running. The game has a core community, people who know what they're doing, that will ABSOLUTELY, give this game a new look and playstyle that has not been seen in awhile, while at the same time making it so that mechs aren't completely out of tune or outperform literally every other chassis for the most part in it's weight class.

All you have to do, is communicate, and make some progress. People like progress, not talk. The more you talk, the more people become jaded. People use discord alot, some use email, some use twitter. Branch out, connect, interact, play with people, come into streams. It doesn't have to be all the time, but every other week would be VERY nice to see.

There's alot of work to do, and some of it can be alleviated by interacting with the people that play the game, and know what's going on. At the same time, there's some people that play the game and have no clue what's going on or what's right, so it's good to be mindful of bad opinions as well, to an extent. The community likes to make jokes at times, well, usually not at the expense of others but with the way things have been going who can blame those people? Who knows, we just might see something amusing come in a few weeks :)

Congrats to Daeron, you've got alot of work to do though, but, if you play your cards right, you will reap the rewards, and so will everyone else.

#76 Karl Carver

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:22 PM

Congrats Bombadil.
Like you i started in the 80's with the tabletop and have played just about every version since then. Read all the books etc

http://www.hpgrelay.com/misc-gallery

Good to see such a long term fan get such a dream job. Well done

Posted Image

#77 Elfcat

• PipPipPip
  • Tai-i
  • Tai-i
  • 59 posts
  • LocationYay Area

Posted 05 October 2020 - 08:38 PM

Pleased to meet you Daeron. I'm relatively new on this platform, though I cut my teeth at Walnut Creek's Virtual World in the 90s.

I enjoy the play, though I suck hard a lot of the time. I think that's a sign that a game is good, when you enjoy it even when you're foaming at the mouth and screaming, "Who are these psychopaths, and how are they shredding me???"

I just joined NUC1 not long ago and went out for my first CP and FP this past week, so all the stuff is pretty new to me still.

On the technical side, I guess my only ask is to have an option for absolute positioning for joysticks as an option in the settings, rather than just relative, so they would be actually useful compared to a mouse. I tried for months to hang on to my HOTAS One's stick, and now even I am running HOTAM. I guess this was tried in 2014, I don't know if it's even an option in user.cfg currently (which you evidently go in the penalty box if you hack it). One person complained the sensitivity settings were not up to the task. Is there any hope for programming this in again with better processing of the sensitivity and deadzone sliders in the Controller settings? Maybe four sets of sensitivity and deadzone sliders tied to Unzoom, Zoom 1, Zoom 2 and Advanced Zoom (when skilled for it)? Just brainstorming on this for a minute.

#78 Unichronic

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 9 posts

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:04 PM

New mechs, new maps, mini-campaigns beyond FP Groundhog Day IS map resets. Long overdue.

#79 GargoyleVine

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 79 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationPismo Coast

Posted 05 October 2020 - 09:05 PM

**** ya !

oh wow i got edited, that is not a good start

#80 L U C A MCMLXXVI

• PipPip