Have I Found An Impossible (As Of October 2020) Mech Build?

5 replies to this topic

#1 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 17 October 2020 - 04:34 AM

Hello, my fellow Mech Builders... :)

I was poking through the list of Inner Sphere Mechs recently because of something I want to build which requires their Tech Base in order to make, and I think that I've discovered it's impossible to make in MWO at this time. However, I am not fully sure of this, so I figured that I should come here and start a thread to see if there's something which I missed that would result in your happening to point out. :huh:

Here's a quick-but-vague (so I don't completely blow my design before it can reach the battlezones) run-down of my Build Requirements so that the rest of you can see whether or not we need to give PGI some hints and a big nudge for making New Mechs (or at least New Variants of some existing ones) come into the game...
  • Inner Sphere Tech Base (There's somewhat of a Weapons List which they have for their side only, so all the Clan Stuff will NOT qualify here)
  • Heavy and/or Assault for Weight Class (I get that this would never fit on anything lighter)
  • Enough Tonnage & Space for THREE Large Ballistics ... And they need to be located specifically on the Left Arm, Left Torso, and Right Arm (Yes, we're talking about the kind of Ballistics that tend to use a lot of Critical Slots to mount....... No, the Right Torso simply does NOT qualify here for a Ballistic mounting)
  • Enough potential Tonnage & Space for the Ammo Bins so that it would not be easy to run out during battle, even without the Skill Nodes being added for some extra shots (What use is a Mech with installed Ballistics that never had the Ammo to properly utilize them?)
  • Ability to mount up to Four (or more preferably, Five) Jump Jets (This one's because I really hate getting short-changed on Vertical Mobility, and lacking this ability will prevent the Mech from qualifying)
  • A maximum model limit on the Engine that does NOT leave me topped out at 'Annihilator'/'Dire Wolf' levels of speed (really need the option to pick higher models, even if I can not ultimately put in such a big Engine on the Mech with the other items loaded... being limited on potential ideas is a real build-breaker for me)
  • Full Armor for whatever Mech happens to successfully qualify on all of the above (doesn't have to be super-perfectly maxed on Armor amounts used, but I'm definitely NOT making a "glass cannon" here)
...as well as some rather Optional Items which would be pluses, but are specifically NOT a dead-out & hard-locked requirement for making the Build which I'm currently aiming for...
  • ECM ability (and potentially therefore Stealth Armor)
  • Tonnage & Space for an AMS Unit (while it would not break the build to lack having this, it really helps with Mech longevity if I can put one on)
  • Right Torso HardPoints for some Missile Weaponry (Left Torso specifically does NOT qualify for these ones, as I have a Build Style in my mind for implementation)
  • Energy Hardpoints in several Components (would prefer if that does not include the CT/Head, but okay if those are present... more preferential towards Side Torsos and Arms for mounting those, due to want for angle at UAVs and having cleaner forward vision)
  • Enough remaining Tonnage & Space for perhaps loading a Targeting Computer (either TC1 or TC2 ... I'm not particularly picky about mounting a giant one at all)
  • Enough remaining Tonnage & Space for some Double Heat Sinks (This crazy build might possibly run somewhat hotter without them, but it likely would not kill the build to run out of space and be limited to the basic 10 from the Engine's own)
  • MASC capability (way off down the Optional list below all the rest, would not matter if I can not have)
...and with all of that said, I now post this so that the rest of you can help & discuss the idea, because I sense that PGI may have horribly missed an opportunity here. And yes, even though I am trying to keep my options open for what the final design would be, I apologize for any of the Build Requirements and/or Optional Items seeming a tad too picky. I'm trying to make something interesting, but avoid being trapped by things like the Meta & Nascar due to a lot of past issues with the game in general. :mellow:

~D. V. "having a bad feeling that too many Right Side Torso Ballistics led to the current awful mess" Devnull

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:49 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 17 October 2020 - 04:34 AM, said:

Hello, my fellow Mech Builders... Posted Image

I was poking through the list of Inner Sphere Mechs recently because of something I want to build which requires their Tech Base in order to make, and I think that I've discovered it's impossible to make in MWO at this time. However, I am not fully sure of this, so I figured that I should come here and start a thread to see if there's something which I missed that would result in your happening to point out. Posted Image

Here's a quick-but-vague (so I don't completely blow my design before it can reach the battlezones) run-down of my Build Requirements so that the rest of you can see whether or not we need to give PGI some hints and a big nudge for making New Mechs (or at least New Variants of some existing ones) come into the game...
  • Inner Sphere Tech Base (There's somewhat of a Weapons List which they have for their side only, so all the Clan Stuff will NOT qualify here)

I do not think that there is such 'Mech in MWO.

Probably the closest match is VTR9A1 Victor. Some people run it with three AC-10s. You can fit a few tons of ammunition, jump jets and some armor. Speed in the 55-65 km/h range (depending on the engine. Three laser hardpoints and AMS slot.

Or maybe NSR-9S Night Star?

Perhaps MAD-4L Marauder II or Marauder II "Alpha".

#3 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 17 October 2020 - 05:34 PM

View Postmartian, on 17 October 2020 - 05:49 AM, said:

Probably the closest match is VTR9A1 Victor. Some people run it with three AC-10s. You can fit a few tons of ammunition, jump jets and some armor. Speed in the 55-65 km/h range (depending on the engine. Three laser hardpoints and AMS slot.

Or maybe NSR-9S Night Star?

This!

Victor's 9A1 is your your closest match. Can even do triple 20's with a squeeze.

Jumpjets can be questionable on Assaults but if you're willing to forgo them the NSR-9P is a good match-up. Plenty of space to tweak and the option to downgrade the LL's if you want to up the 10's to Slug or Ultra and go faster.

#4 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 19 October 2020 - 01:49 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 17 October 2020 - 04:34 AM, said:

• Enough Tonnage & Space for THREE Large Ballistics ...
Define "Large Ballistic" for this mech. Do you mean AC20s? Or (U)AC10s also count? Because if AC20s then only Victor 9A1 can do three, and that barely. You could cheat and run a NSR-9S with 2xUAC20 for similar firepower potential.
If you want an (U)AC20 + 2x(U)AC10 then there's more wiggle room.
The biggest IS-specific ballistics would be Heavy Gauss, Light Gauss and RAC5

And they need to be located specifically on the Left Arm, Left Torso, and Right Arm (Yes, we're talking about the kind of Ballistics that tend to use a lot of Critical Slots to mount....... No, the Right Torso simply does NOT qualify here for a Ballistic mounting)
Unrealistic, sorry, take it or leave it.

• Enough potential Tonnage & Space for the Ammo Bins so that it would not be easy to run out during battle, even without the Skill Nodes being added for some extra shots (What use is a Mech with installed Ballistics that never had the Ammo to properly utilize them?)
Unrealistic. Three AC20s will eat up 42 tons, AC10s 36 tons, LB10s 33 tons and UAC10s 39 tons. Even for an assault mech that's substantial (don't forget about engine, 10% of your tonnage for structure and then your armor).

• Ability to mount up to Four (or more preferably, Five) Jump Jets (This one's because I really hate getting short-changed on Vertical Mobility, and lacking this ability will prevent the Mech from qualifying)
The JJ requirement limits you to Victor 9A1, take it or leave it. If you're willing to drop the JJ requirement, there are several Annihilators that can manage it.

• A maximum model limit on the Engine that does NOT leave me topped out at 'Annihilator'/'Dire Wolf' levels of speed (really need the option to pick higher models, even if I can not ultimately put in such a big Engine on the Mech with the other items loaded... being limited on potential ideas is a real build-breaker for me)
Unrealistic.

• ECM ability (and potentially therefore Stealth Armor)
Fafnir 5S, but the best you can do there is 2xLB10+2xAC5.

• Right Torso HardPoints for some Missile Weaponry (Left Torso specifically does NOT qualify for these ones, as I have a Build Style in my mind for implementation)
With three large ballistics you won't have the tonnage. Most KGCs can do torso missiles and arm ballistics, but you're capped at 4xUAC5 or 2xUAC10. 2x UAC10 with a MRM battery in LT also works on Marauder II hero.

• Energy Hardpoints in several Components (would prefer if that does not include the CT/Head, but okay if those are present... more preferential towards Side Torsos and Arms for mounting those, due to want for angle at UAVs and having cleaner forward vision)
  • Enough remaining Tonnage & Space for perhaps loading a Targeting Computer (either TC1 or TC2 ... I'm not particularly picky about mounting a giant one at all)
  • Enough remaining Tonnage & Space for some Double Heat Sinks (This crazy build might possibly run somewhat hotter without them, but it likely would not kill the build to run out of space and be limited to the basic 10 from the Engine's own)
You will have neither the cooling nor the tonnage, sorry.

• MASC capability (way off down the Optional list below all the rest, would not matter if I can not have)
Simply, no. IS only has one MASC heavy and one MASC assault. Neither of them is a ballistic boat.

...and with all of that said, I now post this so that the rest of you can help & discuss the idea, because I sense that PGI may have horribly missed an opportunity here.
There is no opportunity. The math (tonnage, slots) just doesn't work out the way you demand it to.

And yes, even though I am trying to keep my options open
Sorry, you are not. You want a mech that can do everything. There's no such mech.

~D. V. "having a bad feeling that too many Right Side Torso Ballistics led to the current awful mess"
No, too many people being right-handed did. There's a difference.

Edited by Horseman, 19 October 2020 - 01:53 AM.

#5 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 December 2020 - 03:53 AM

Rotato potato is more because everyone is trying to get in the other sides back so this naturally devolves into a rotation mechanic. Faction play doesn't have this because each side has a caller and a plan of attack so they form firing lines etc. In quick play you get a new random team every match so there isn't any overall cohesion other than the desire to get in behind the enemy. Brownian motion sets in and we have the classic rotato potato. Game modes and map design are a factor too. Not much you can do in a domination match other than go to the circle and rotate since it invalidates most of the map.

#6 Nehkrosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 772 posts

Posted 14 January 2021 - 11:29 AM

This is a bit. Much.
You want a mech that can fly, stealth, ECM, with multiple heavy ballistics, ammo amounts that won't run out during a game, lasers in the arms or torsos for killing UAVs, a high engine cap, with weight for a large engine.
Why exactly would that be balanced? And if it existed why would anyone play with anything else??

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users